Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-15, 09:27 AM  
BamaTanya

Looking for books to encourage and keep me on track

I've made a lot of progress in the nutrition and fitness areas over the past year, but I'm down to the dreaded "last 10 pounds" and I feel myself getting lax. I'm not seeing visible results at this point. Life -- work/family/house/finance -- is moving back into stressful mode. I'm not sleeping well or long enough. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I start early (5-5:30), work all day (sometimes into the evening), and then have to pick up children from work or sports up until 10:30-11:00. Having a range from elementary school to young adults . . .
I have several books that have enlightened and inspired me: Beck Diet Solution, The Lean, Never Say Diet . . . I've read The Skinny Rules. At this point, some of the "work" seems too much, too rigid.
I'm not looking to lose 20 pounds in 20 days. I just want something to pick up and read a chapter before bed to help keep my focus.
Right now I have a few by Jim Karas, Brooke Castillo, Jimmy Pena, Lysa TerKeurst, and Michelle Segar on my wish list. Jillian Michaels has a few books at my library.
What books do you recommend that focus more on improving health and maintaining good habits than on losing weight?
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:43 AM  
Erica H.

I just finished "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto and thought it was excellent.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:48 AM  
JEWEL659

Inspirational

I think Donna Richardson's Witness to Fitness would help inspire you to keep on track. My local library has it as well.http://www.amazon.com/Witness-Fitnes...NNA+RICHARDSON

Last edited by JEWEL659; 08-04-15 at 10:07 AM. Reason: EDIT
JEWEL659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:48 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have seen a book about losing the last 10 lbs, but don't remember the exact title. You might do a search on Amazon. I think the main thing is to really make an effort to get adequate rest. It's hard to stick to healthy eating when you're always tired.
Old 08-04-15, 10:06 AM  
Aunt Famous

Despite its terrible title, I found "The Secret of Skinny Chicks" to be inspiring. It had interviews with a number of women, ranging from models to athletes, about what they ate and how they trained. Without venturing down the verboten d-word path, it put things into perspective: Being a model requires more work and sacrifice than I'd ever want to do. Anyway, it's really easy to read, with short chapters, not preachy. It's not a "this is how you do it" book; it's a "this is how others do it" book. Like I said, it really appealed to me and made something click.

I also find books about athletes inspiring. I used to be a swimmer, so I lean in that direction. "Gold in the Water" is my favorite. It prominently features Dara Torres, when she was "just" 32, as she prepared for her comeback in the 2000 Olympics. I also read Dara's own book -- "Age Is Just a Number" -- and think it was good (although I really don't remember).

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 11:25 AM  
Chomper

I am going to go against the tide by suggesting Secrets From the Eating Lab by Traci Mann. It helped me think about eating habits, making real lasting lifestyle choices, but also having perspective on how important my weight and body fat percentage really is. I have been coming to realize "that last 10 lbs" might not really need to come off as long as I'm eating a healthy diet and staying active, and that frees me up to focus on more important things. Shocking, I know! Food for thought, anyway.

If you are interested in the science of fitness, I think Gretchen Reynolds' (who does the fitness blog on the New York Times) book was fun. It is called the First 20 Minutes.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 11:35 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I am going to go against the tide by suggesting Secrets From the Eating Lab by Traci Mann. It helped me think about eating habits, making real lasting lifestyle choices, but also having perspective on how important my weight and body fat percentage really is. I have been coming to realize "that last 10 lbs" might not really need to come off as long as I'm eating a healthy diet and staying active, and that frees me up to focus on more important things. Shocking, I know! Food for thought, anyway.
I have this book from the library and need to read it!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 12:18 PM  
kalliope999

I've been reading Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss by Georgie Fear, and it's great. I'd highly recommend it. I was familiar with her from her blog before the book was published and from an IE forum, and she's a very sane and welcome voice in the mix. She's an RD, has been a figure competitor, but works with both elite athletes and very regular people who are looking to lose weight or have a better relationship w/ food.

The book is about developing sustainable and comfortable habits for the long term, so it's not a quick fix. I'd describe it as a mix of intuitive eating and practical science. Four main ideas/habits, and several other supporting habits. No rigid rules, no prescribed diet plan, and it would fit with any sort of eating style you prefer (regular eaters, vegetarian, paleo, whatever.) There is a very friendly and supportive Facebook group for it also.

In the past when I've incorporated her ideas, I've been able to drop a few pounds without much difficulty. Time to get back to it!
Old 08-04-15, 12:51 PM  
TinierTina

throwing in all types of books ... I've discarded over a DOZEN before this ...

I have still retained such titles in my personal library, as:

"How Thin People Think" by Louise A. Masano

"Diets Still don't Work" by Bob Schwartz

and, a book that is actually a performed, improvised screenplay (i.e., semi-fictional) script, "Eating - A Very Serious Comedy about Women and Food" as packaged by Henry Jaglom

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 12:58 PM  
TinierTina

Oh, Swimming Books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Despite its terrible title, I found "The Secret of Skinny Chicks" to be inspiring. It had interviews with a number of women, ranging from models to athletes, about what they ate and how they trained. Without venturing down the verboten d-word path, it put things into perspective: Being a model requires more work and sacrifice than I'd ever want to do. Anyway, it's really easy to read, with short chapters, not preachy. It's not a "this is how you do it" book; it's a "this is how others do it" book. Like I said, it really appealed to me and made something click.

I also find books about athletes inspiring. I used to be a swimmer, so I lean in that direction. "Gold in the Water" is my favorite. It prominently features Dara Torres, when she was "just" 32, as she prepared for her comeback in the 2000 Olympics. I also read Dara's own book -- "Age Is Just a Number" -- and think it was good (although I really don't remember).

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Yeah, I've got those too

"Golden Girl" about Nathalie Coughlin

and

"Champions are Raised not Born" by Summer Sanders

Look, inspiration from those books did not improve my then-avid recreational lap swimming, nor result in any weight loss, thereof, at the time in and of themselves ... but I'd been doing great in my Toastmasters meetings and excelled as a clubwoman (when I wasn't working and swimming) ...

I have too many, plenty more ...

Women are multi-dimensional!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, inspiration