Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-15, 05:26 PM  
bubbles76

I use the Just the Workouts Checkin
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 06:21 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm compulsive. For weights workouts I have hard copies of worksheets I've found online: from other VFers, Beachbody, the Measured Mom's Cathe Compendium and some of my own. All are Word or WordPerfect charts or Excel adaptations. I write down the date and weights used for each exercise in a workout. I have my own abbreviations: "up" arrow means increase weights next time, a circled "T" means the weight selected was do-able but tough, "F" means I hit failure, I draw a when I go up in weights, etc. I also scrawl notes to myself in the margins, like "try BB [barbell instead of dumbbells] next time", "sub KB [kickbacks] for dips". My problem is keeping up with my worksheets: most have space for me to do the workout 3-4 times before I have to reprint, but often I'm too lazy, so I start recording a workout on the back, in the margins, on a sheet of notepaper, whatever's handy. I also have an accordion file to organize my worksheets and that's a mess right now. One of my tasks for this week is to get it sorted!

There definitely is a start-up time commitment to gather online worksheets or to create up your own template. If you think it will drive you crazy, it's not worth it. A large Post-It attached to the DVD case with the date you did the workout and "used 5 and 8# dumbbells" might be all the information you want to keep. For workouts like my Classic Firms, that's all I do. But I'm on a strength-building binge this year so my crazy-detailed worksheets for focused strength workouts are invaluable for me to gauge my progress. They also make me more efficient, since I'm not standing there wondering which dumbbells I need for the next exercise. In Body Beast, Sagi is always admonishing his backgrounders, "write it down. Write it down. WRITE IT DOWN" and that's my mantra too.
Old 08-03-15, 07:02 PM  
BunnyHop

I use post-its too.

Have only used small ones til now, just describing the workout (weight bench, lunges, squats, move x, y or z, whatever cues I need to jog my memory).

It helps me remember what I like and/or don't detest about a workout.

The 'this is just too hard' ones get shoved off to their own spot on the shelf, no post-it. Sometimes (like today, did KCM's Slim Sculpting, feeling strong today!) they get dusted off and used despite my initial reservations.
Old 08-03-15, 07:24 PM  
Chomper

I have a mini calendar with pretty pictures (like baby animals or state parks) that is just for writing down the workouts I've done. I love being able to scan a month and see at a glance how much I'm working out.

For strength, I keep a spiral notebook with what workout I did, sets, reps and weights used. i started this after switching to paper workouts, where Its more important to keep track of what weight I can lift because the goal is to keep lifting heavier. Usually do at most 9 strength exercises in any workout, so it's not arduous to write it all down.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 09:42 PM  
hypnomoon

http://www.vertex42.com/exceltemplates/running-log.html

It has for walking, I think too. But, I use the running one to log all workouts. For the Run Type, I put outside or inside, if I run. I put DVD if I do that. Then, in the Route Name I put what DVD I did or what type of a run I did. It's simple.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:54 AM  
JEWEL659

I use myfitnesspal app
Old 08-04-15, 05:28 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

For those who like to use paper log sheets but would like something colorful, there are lots of downloadable exercise log sheets on Etsy for modest prices. Many of the sellers offer to customize their products as well.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:17 PM  
bfit

I never keep up with a spreadsheet or any other computer record. I've started a few and never followed through. But, I do write down each day's workout on a desk calendar. If I run I write the number of miles. If I do a DVD workout I write down the name of the workout and whether I add anything to it (like a weighted vest or hand weights). I don't write down the heaviness of the weights though.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:36 PM  
SueT

I've been using a regular calendar for over 20 years, and I love looking back at what workouts I've done from time to time. These calendars are devoted to my workouts and nothing else. I just write what DVD workout I did, and then I add in what miles I did on my stationary bike or if I went for a walk with my husband.

I don't write down my weight selections, though. I usually know after doing a workout once or twice what's the correct poundage for me to use at my current fitness level.

I just like having the paper calendars, I guess because I'm still old-school when it comes to hard copies of everything. I still love reading a regular book instead of a Kindle. I want to feel like I get away from a computer screen by the end of the day when I do my fiction reading!

I find if I don't write down my workouts every day, I can't even remember exactly which ones I did a week or two ago, especially since I tend to go through phases with what workouts I feel like doing.

I hope this helps!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logging