Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-19, 10:46 PM  
bfit

I injured myself doing Bar Method - should I quit?

I wrote a few weeks ago to this forum about how much I was enjoying Bar Method classes at a studio. Well, now I have a sore tendon (which is getting better) in one of my big toes, and I think it's from standing on my tip toes barefoot in the classes. There is one instructor in particular who is really "strict" about standing high up on your toes, and she comes over and shoves her foot under the back and bottom of your foot to force your toes up higher. I can handle an inch or so of elevation, but being a lot higher than that really stresses my feet. It was right after she did that in a class that I noticed this injury. I'm undecided on what to do about the classes once I recover. Would the exercises be effective if I'm not on my toes? Should I explain to the instructors why I don't want to be high on my toes? Should I talk to this particular instructor who I think caused my injury? I was really getting a lot out of the classes, but I don't want to get injured again.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 01:18 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
There is one instructor in particular who is really "strict" about standing high up on your toes, and she comes over and shoves her foot under the back and bottom of your foot to force your toes up higher. I can handle an inch or so of elevation, but being a lot higher than that really stresses my feet. It was right after she did that in a class that I noticed this injury.
I can't believe an instructor did that to you.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 02:50 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
me too. i think she caused it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 05:51 AM  
lizr

yikes! I have arthritis in both big toes so I have to modify a lot of those postures. I had a discount on a month of bar method streaming but I think I will pass.

I'm sorry that happened to you- I wouldn't continue.
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 06:56 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 07:01 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
me too. i think she caused it.
This was my first thought as well. I would consider filing a complaint with their manager. I’d also avoid that instructor if you do return. When you file a complaint you might ask if there’s an instructor who is trained to help clients with modifications.

No instructor should touch a client without asking for permission! 99.9% of adjustments can be done by describing the change in the client’s form that needs to happen. Clients tend to internalize and remember verbal corrections better because they have to physically figure it out. For the other 0.1% it only takes a second to ask if a hands on adjustment is ok.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 07:17 AM  
alisoncooks

If BM was working for you and you were enjoying it, I'd return. However, I'd certainly modify (yes, it'll still be effective), and I would hesitate before attending that instructor's class. I'm pretty non-confrontational but I think someone should know what happened, either the manager or bringing it directly to that instructor.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 07:53 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.
This. I know in my yoga class, the first thing the instructor does is ask if anyone has injuries or limitations. I find it very poor practice that the BM studio instructor didn't do the same. Or if they did, and you let them know of your limitations, it's even worse that the instructor chose to ignore them.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 10:43 AM  
starbelly

Any good teacher training should guide instructors to ask before touching/adjusting a student. You should absolutely report this to management -- injuring students is not good for business! Please do not accept it as normal or acceptable teaching behavior and you should not stop something you enjoy because of a bad teacher. Your participation in a class is your decision and it is not up to a "strict" teacher to decide how far/deep you go in a class.

After a rather debilitating shoulder injury caused by an overly emphatic adjustment at a yoga retreat (she did not ask before twisting my arm in down dog), I am considering making a button or shirt that says "ask before adjusting" to wear to class.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 10:45 AM  
bubbles76

Also, if you don't report it or talk to the instructor, she may think her behavior is okay and may wind up injuring someone else.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method