Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-19, 09:24 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

What surprises you re your physical abilities?

I am 59. My job is very physical. I throw heavy boxes around and am constantly on the move. I move faster and with less stiffness than some decades younger colleagues.

I just did a very basic Classical Stretch Workout. Granted, the pre-workout glass of wine may have had an impact, but I had more trouble than expected. There are things I can easily do and things I can't. I did Jane Adams balance workout last night with no trouble.

I am often surprised by what gives me trouble and what doesn't even though I expect it to. How about you?
____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:36 PM  
BunnyHop

I have a bit of bursitis or something in my hips, and somehow it always catches me off guard.

It's not so much doing x, y or z, but finding myself moving a certain way then mid-stride realizing that my hip just isn't responding quite the way I think it ought to and that I'm in an awkward position and might not be stable enough to be safe.

Somehow the surprise of it, the momentary helplessness, is what gets me.

I've learned to compensate by doing certain yoga moves with a chair in position so I can use it for support if I find I need it, and things like that, but moving through everyday life it still catches me sometimes. I really dislike that feeling.
Old 01-02-19, 09:39 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

For me it's balance poses. Some days I can do they and feel proud of myself other days I life one leg and promptly fall over.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:40 PM  
marki64

I have a good cardio capacity and can usually conquer most HiiT type workouts.

I cannot do plank walks with disks or knee-ins. In fact I hate the damn things. It is hard on my back. I also cannot do (not sure what it's called) where you sit up and support yourself by your arms and slide your butt back. Jeez that's a doozie! Gravity always wins the battle.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:51 AM  
killoffsonny

Balancing poses are challenging for me. There's balancing in my pop pilates classes and sometimes I stumble. I was great at this when I was in my forties. Not so much now at 64. Classical Stretch is a killer too when she does those deep plies. I'm hoping that will get a little easier the more the I do it.
Old 01-03-19, 09:14 AM  
Gams

I was always disappointed in my weight workout abilities even when I was younger and working out regularly. I thought I was so wimpy, I couldn’t get any worse. Well, years later and after some time off from working out, I now see that I’m an even bigger wimp. I got out my 20 lb. weights the other day just to see how many bicep curls I could do and I couldn’t do very many. I’m hoping I can build up a little more strength now that I’m back to working out regularly. Also, my hips bother me these days for some reason. I am 60 years old.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 09:27 AM  
Demeris

I'm a few months shy of 62, and I'm surprised as how slowly it takes to see any fitness gains. I keep plugging away mostly because regular exercise gives me energy, helps me sleep more soundly, and improves my mood. But endurance, strength, flexibility--I'm moving at a snail's pace. On the up side, balance seems to restore rather quickly when I focus on it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 11:38 AM  
Gams

One positive thing I have noticed is that I haven’t lost any flexibility. I can still bend forward and place the palms of my hands on the floor, so that’s something, I guess.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 12:00 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
For me it's balance poses. Some days I can do they and feel proud of myself other days I life one leg and promptly fall over.
I literally use balance poses to check in with my state of mind. If I can't balance, it's often because I'm unfocused/distracted/upset by something, even though I may not have realized it. I figured this out during a round of layoffs at work - I was proud of myself for "not being bothered" about it, then went to our onsite yoga class and couldn't balance to save my life.

Back on topic (but still balance-related), I'm surprised how much more I can do in many respects when my core is engaged. Balance, weightlifting, even flexibility moves (like reaching for something in an awkward place) - can't do it? Engage core and try again.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 05:01 PM  
Aunt Famous

Here's a happy surprise.

I had resection surgery on December 10, 25 days after my colon cancer diagnosis. Before surgery, the doctor said I would stay in the hospital for five days. Because of my good health, I was discharged 48 hours after I walked in the door. Three weeks after discharge, I am been walking 10K steps per day, and going to the gym to lift teeny-tiny-super light weights that do not implicate my abs in any way.

My physical abilities have surprised me and have made me extremely grateful for good health in the midst of terribly bad health.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote