Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-18, 12:08 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

OT: i blew a job interview.

Okay, the company I have worked with for 29 years is going out of business. I had my first job interview (in 29 years) yesterday. I blew it. I sounded scared of the job they were thinking of offering me & not enthusiastic. I was scared because I think I misinterpreted her description of the workload. I was so disappointed in myself by the end of the interview, when she said if they were interested, they would contact me around so & so day, I said, "I guess so," then quickly changed it to "I hope so." The woman looked at me like I was an idiot.

I did a google search on "I blew a job interview," & I got answers that said to send an e-mail apologizing, etc. I don't have an e-mail address, but I thought I would call the place & try to correct the situation. I was very nervous & like I said, I don't think I understood the woman regarding the workload.

I tried calling today, & the woman wasn't working today. They said the hiring mgr. would be there tomorrow. Should I continue to try to call the woman who interviewed me or the hiring mgr. or what?

The job does sound like something I might like & be good at--thanks to anyone for any advice they can give me!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 12:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

No advice. Just (((HUGS))).

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 12:23 PM  
bubbles76

I think you should. Even if they decided to go with another candidate, you can get feedback on what you can do to improve your chances at the next interview. Although I am not private sector anymore, I believe that the "personal touch" still applies. Who knows, the very fact that you are calling may put you ahead of the other candidates, as people do not often call after an interview, nor send personal handwritten notes thanking the interviewers for the opportunity. I have read that goes a long way.

If it makes you feel any better, I bombed an interview for a promotion for the agency where I'm currently working. I did ask for feedback, and the people who had interviewed me were very honest. Like you, during the interview I knew I blew it. So it always helps to ask for feedback.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 02:46 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree with Bubbles. Following up shows you do care and if they still choose another route hopefully they will give you feedback.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 02:47 PM  
muggle

Been there! I remember leaving one interview and thinking “ Well that sucked!”. I could feel the sweat trickling down my neck and back. I was told many years ago to send a thank you card after an interview too. So you should definitely send an email or make a phone call. State your case. I hope people know and understand how nervous the applicant is.

Unless you’re a narcissist it’s really difficult to go in and sell yourself with confidence and exuberance. But an interview is the time to seriously SELL IT!

If this is something you really want....be strong, be brave and get in touch with the interviewer. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Hugs!!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 03:00 PM  
jusca

You didn't blow it. You went and did your best at the time. You can learn from what you think you may need to improve. Heck, you never know you may get a call back with an offer or to move on to the next steps. Be encouraged! Something will come your way.

You said you've been out of the interviewing game for a while. It's normal to do a few interviews before you start to feel more at ease at doing them.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 03:07 PM  
donnamp

Jennifer - I'm in a similar boat. I have been in the same job for 18 years, I decided for a variety of reasons to look into some promotional opportunities where I work and recently had an interview. I don't think I totally blew it, but I felt I could have done better. It seems like interviewing practices have changed so much since I last interviewed for a job. I was expecting to be asked about my qualifications, etc. I even googled "interview questions for internal promotions" etc and really tried to prepare beforehand but the interview was not what I expected. It was mostly hypothetical situations and questions about how I would handle them. I really wasn't prepared to answer and I hope I did ok...but it is really hard to tell b/c I had not prepared for that type of an interview at all. Also, what made it hard for me is knowing the people I was interviewing with - it felt fake to be too formal w/ them since I know them so well, but at times I felt like I was almost too relaxed. Anyway, I guess I will see what happens. But, don't feel bad, it is tough being out of practice - if you don't get this job, you will get another chance and you'll be better prepared from having practiced this time around.

I think it would be a good idea to send a note and reiterate your strengths and your interest in the job. Maybe even say something along the lines of "I know I may not have made myself as clear as I could have about....>"

I plan to send some thank you notes this weekend and stress my continued interest in the position and my qualifications and then I will keep my fingers crossed.

I know my situation is less pressure than yours as I a not going to be out of a job if I don't get this one, but I am sort of mad at myself for letting myself get so complacent and out of touch all these years!

Hang in there!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 03:34 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Interviewing is SO tough. I decided to move to public school after working at a private school for 15 years. I was 48 and, like you, hadn't had an interview in a long time. DH had me run through practice interviews with him for 3 days before my interview. Practicing my answers really helped. Even if I thought I knew what I wanted to say, practicing saying it out loud helped my tweak my answers and sound much more confident than I actually was! I still literally sweated through my dress during the interview, but I did get the job and I honestly believe it's because I practiced. I think you should reach out to them. Think about what you want you want to say to them and practice your delivery so you sound confident. The fact that you were with the same company for so long should play in your favor - you're loyal and experienced. You could say something like, "I'd like another opportunity to discuss the reasons why I'm a good fit for the job." Believe me, I know how terrifying it is. Pump yourself up by making a list of all of the great things you did at your old job. Come up with phrases you can use in the interview. Be prepared for anything - she could challenge you on the phone, "Why should we give you another chance?" Have a strong, confident answer for her. Good luck!

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 03:36 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & support. I will follow up with my interviewer & keep everyone posted.
Donna, I hope things go well with your promotion prospect. I understand about things changing. One job application i filled out had an assessment that was just annoying. It didn't make much sense to me.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 03:50 PM  
suzannaerin

I think most of us have been there. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Even if you end up speaking with that lady, You might consider sending a written thank you note.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote