Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-20, 10:52 AM  
prettyinpink

My exercise has not been affected much, except for not being able to go to the gym for a while. I recently felt comfortable enough to go back once or twice per week. Most of my workouts are at home just like before the pandemic.

I am more sedentary in daily activities, though. I guess that more in and out of the house for errands and running kids around made a difference. Now with few children’s activities and a switch to going out less and getting deliveries more, I am home much more.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 12:45 PM  
lizh

Interesting question. When the pandemic first hit I started working out consistently for the first time in years. Since I didn't have to commute to the office, I got 1.5 hours back in my day and I started Jessica Smith 6x a week. In addition, my husband and I started to walk the dog together around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes every night.

I still gained about 10 pounds (I'm short and that is a LOT!). Even though we weren't eating out, food has become sort of entertainment in a strange way. The only place I ever go outside the house is the grocery store and we go to a store called "Grocery Outlet" that never has the same thing from week to week so it took on a treasure hunt kind of feel. I started buying and eating more processed foods (frozen pizza!) and desserts.

Recently, I was trying to find something new for workouts because I was getting a bit burnt out with Jessica and that just resulted in me experimenting with wo's that were too hard or instructors I didn't like. The whole month september and lots of october were a wash.

Earlier this week I started up with Jessica again and I am watching what I eat.

I am determined to go back to the office looking buff and badass not fat and frumpy. (if I ever make it back to the office due to this stupid virus)
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 03:52 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I enjoy reading everyone's replies. It is interesting to see how the pandemic has affected your lives. Some people seem to be able to stay on track with exercise, or are exercising more than before, while others, like me, are exercising less.

I am motivated by those of you who are making the effort to stay positive. I think that the check-ins are a great idea at this time. I took a peek at some of the check-ins, and they were inspiring to read. Many years ago, I started a check-in called the Belly Busters, which lasted for many years; it was fun to connect with a group of VFers. I'm wondering if I should re-start the check-in, or start a new one (or join one already in existence).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 05:32 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I enjoy reading everyone's replies. It is interesting to see how the pandemic has affected your lives. Some people seem to be able to stay on track with exercise, or are exercising more than before, while others, like me, are exercising less.

I am motivated by those of you who are making the effort to stay positive. I think that the check-ins are a great idea at this time. I took a peek at some of the check-ins, and they were inspiring to read. Many years ago, I started a check-in called the Belly Busters, which lasted for many years; it was fun to connect with a group of VFers. I'm wondering if I should re-start the check-in, or start a new one (or join one already in existence).
I would like to be involved in a check in even if it just were for the pandemic period. I would like to hold myself accountable. I have been good with my exercising and not bad with my eating. My one big accomplishment is that I am finally learning how to cook at age 62. I cook dinner on Friday night, something easy and so far vegetarian.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 08:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post

You should definitely participate in a check-in Abbe. Any one of them that I have ever been in has been welcoming. One of the many reasons VF is so wonderful...so many beautiful people .... cheering each other on .....no matter what!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 09:11 PM  
BunnyHop

I had joined the local Y so I could walk on the treadmill, but eventually realized I needed to quit the membership. (After I hadn't set foot in there for several months, it was time.)

As others have said, my routines are all off kilter and I'm just unsettled on so many levels. I'm so bored with walking in my neighborhood I just don't bother any more, and frustrated I can't safely reach other areas without hazarding major roadways (with inadequate crossings).

Knowing I needed to do SOMETHING to get myself moving, I researched the heck out of water rowers and treadmills until I realized that I already have more fitness equipment than I really need (carefully acquired over years, thanks VFF!). Don't you love it when your stash helps you feel frugal all of a sudden?

Just lately I've been doing KB swings and gradually increasing the amount. Haven't really felt inclined to jump on my rebounder, though.

In retrospect, I do think that one of my biggest hurdles in regaining my fitness was just being totally exhausted from caring for my dad. I kept pushing myself, thinking I should do more in terms of fitness because I could tell I was losing strength and stamina, but doing that made me even more tired. I'm better rested now, pandemic-stress or not, so I hope I'm going to just keep improving.

Self-care seems to be my full time job these days.
Old 10-24-20, 09:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I lost a bunch of weight last year and have maintained since then. No more sugar binges/lots of reading and crossword puzzles.
congratulations - what workouts did you do, and did you cut back on sugar?

in answer to the question, i gained some weight so a co-worker and i agreed on a pact.

i walk outdoors if i don't get a video done for the day.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 09:51 PM  
ncl

I have maintained my morning workout routine, but in general, I have slowed down my life quite a bit since the pandemic started. Less social life for sure. I used to ballroom dance and haven't done that since this all started. I think one of the things that has saved me is hiking. We live in the mountains and we hike most weekends. I have also started devoting more time to walking during the week as well, longer lunch hour walks, sometimes walking after work. Unfortunately right now I am struggling with some calf knots that keep coming back so I'm missing my walking right now (and some of my cardio workouts, too). My favorite workouts in the pandemic are Cathe (as always) and Kari Anderson and Travis Elliot for yoga. I was hopeful to lose a few pounds but have been unsuccessful in finding motivation for that at this time, but have maintained my weight. We haven't had a meal from a restaurant in many months, have been cooking alot. We normally would eat out once or twice week. This time in life is really stressful.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 10:45 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I would like to be involved in a check in even if it just were for the pandemic period. I would like to hold myself accountable. I have been good with my exercising and not bad with my eating. My one big accomplishment is that I am finally learning how to cook at age 62. I cook dinner on Friday night, something easy and so far vegetarian.
hsim there are so many check-ins that would love for you to join. There are check-ins that just have you record your workouts if that appeals to you as well. I encourage you to jump on in..the water is warm!!

Quote:
I'm better rested now, pandemic-stress or not, so I hope I'm going to just keep improving.

Self-care seems to be my full time job these days.
Anna I'm glad you're getting more rest. Spending that time taking care of yourself is well deserved!

Quote:
This time in life is really stressful.
ncl it is...who needs more obstacles for daily movement?! Not me, lol! I have never heard of calf knots..they sound painful

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-20, 11:51 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I was at my lightest (in a long time) right when the lock downs began. Prior to that, I got a lot of my exercise during my commute (biking to/from train station and between office campuses, walking during lunch break and to/from different buildings) and would squeeze in yoga and weight workouts during the week 4x to 5x per week, together with hiking on the weekends.

After everything shut down, I did a lot more yoga (hamstrings seriously stretched so my forward bends got a lot more bendy!) and would fit in walks around the neighborhood to get a break from work and from the kids a few times each day.

As work's gotten busier and there's been more driving to keep the kids' schedules in line (after school sports camp and soon in-person school again), I've been trying to get some cardio in every morning to get some steps before I do yoga or weights... which means waking up at 6:30 AM so I can still get the kids ready for their days and still start working at a reasonable hour. I walk my younger kid to preschool most days too and if I'm short on steps, I'll duck out before sunset to get to my 10K goal for the day!

With so much more working out at home, I'm really digging into my inventory of DVDs (yay, KCM premixes!) and really enjoying good ol' fashioned floor aerobics -- please suggest stuff for me to try -- I like routines with low impact modifier options and minimal knee tweaking motions. I put on 3 lbs after a 10-day summer break trip but I think I lost 1 lb this week so hoping I can shake/hop/kick/step the rest off soon
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, exercise routines, pandemic