Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-19, 01:36 PM  
aspidistra

As a former ballet student when I was age 10-11 I would like to give my opinion of this. My instructor, a Russian ballerina, forbade us from practicing barefoot. Also, she cautioned her class about trying to stand up on their toes until it was approved. I never reached that stage even after two years of ballet. The feet and toes have to get super strong first and that doesn't happen in a few days, weeks or months!!! The shoes are there to protect the feet. The instructor is there to tell you what is the correct way that will not injure you. Your "bar method" instructor ought to be fired for forcing your toes to raise higher. I am against exercise methods that borrow from ballet and alter parts of it for their own ill-advised reasons (such as going barefoot and straining the muscles by forcing a position). I have heard that certain prima ballerinas are able to stand on their toes barefoot. But that's after many years of training.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 02:12 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post
Your "bar method" instructor ought to be fired for forcing your toes to raise higher. I am against exercise methods that borrow from ballet and alter parts of it for their own ill-advised reasons (such as going barefoot and straining the muscles by forcing a position). I have heard that certain prima ballerinas are able to stand on their toes barefoot. But that's after many years of training.
While I agree that the instructor pushing Bfit up higher into a releve was too aggressive, I don't think that it's bad for barre instructors to tell their students to raise up into a releve. The problem I have is with the forcing, not the position itself. Even kids stand barefoot on their tippy-toes.

Barefoot exercise has helped people on this forum. I don't know why it would be ill-advised. You are right that the foot has to be in the right position, and good instructors are careful to explain what good positioning is. I can stand on my tiptoes in a releve and it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort, so why should I avoid the position?

I think that you are describing full pointe, not the demi-pointe (I hope I spelled that right!) that is used in barre classes and ballet workouts for non-professionals.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 02:32 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I did read the comments. so, here are my coments. .

If you do something that hurts your body, you are suppose to stop. That pain the body is screaming to let you know, something is not right with it.

You have the responsibility to inform the teachers of any differences in your body that don't allow it to go into certain positions.

I would lay off of what you were trying to do, and give yourself time to heal, and just don't do it again.

all dvds, always have that blurb about get a doctors consent or it's not their fault if you get injured..

I don't blame the studio. But she physically touched your body to force it into a position, you have to speak up.

The studio is not accountable for your injury.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 02:51 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
I don't blame the studio. But she physically touched your body to force it into a position, you have to speak up.
The problem is that as described the correction was a “surprise” correction. By the time the OP had time to speak up the damage was done.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 03:20 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
The problem is that as described the correction was a “surprise” correction. By the time the OP had time to speak up the damage was done.
oh, like a karate chop. so, that's the studios erro.. I just wouldn't go to her class again and before I took another class, I'd let the instructor know what has happened.

So, ya, I'd go back.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 07:09 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I've been ruminating on this over the past few days, and I find the best hands on adjustments are gently touching the shoulders to cue good posture, or leveling off the hips if they are out of alignment. I don't know that a hands-on to get the student to take it up a notch is a good idea, even if you know the student and think you know what she is 'capable' of. No one really knows what someone else can do or what's going on in another person's body. Maybe in a long-term, close 1-on-1 coaching relationship (like those olympic athletes have with their coaches,) but in a barre or yoga class? Maybe not such a good idea.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 07:37 AM  
Tugger31

JackieB, thanks for your suggestions. I have Essentrics Full Body Toning dvd. How does the Body Sculpting Series Vol 2 differ? Thanks.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 04:17 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
JackieB, thanks for your suggestions. I have Essentrics Full Body Toning dvd. How does the Body Sculpting Series Vol 2 differ? Thanks.
They are shorter workouts, 30 minutes, led by Gail, Amanda and Meg.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method