Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-18, 06:51 AM  
anjabear

**old thread alert**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post

To be brutally honest, the reason I moved away from Margaret Richard is that I started to realize she neglects some very basic crucial movement patterns. She almost never does squats, and I don't recall any hip hinges or rows. Her back exercise is more of a shoulder exercise as far as I could tell after doing it for a few years. I think her workouts are great for people who have certain limitations, like if they can't squat or hip hinge because of injury or arthritis. But, if people can squat and hip hinge, they really should, in my opinion.
I agree.

I am new to MR and did her All My Best Volume 1 on Friday. I liked it but then a couple hours later I did a :50 easy cardio.
The next day, yesterday, I did a :54 Lauren Brooks Kettlebell workout.
Two strength days in a row, full body. Not what I usually do as I don't recover enough for that.
But, I found the two styles so dissimilar I could do it.
Kettlebells got my heart rate up. I was doing a squat/clean/press #20 slowly... with MR, by the time we did shoulder presses I used a #5!

So very different. My posterior chain was much better worked with my KB workout. However, I'm glad I bought (many) MR DVDs while I still could. I really like them and will be great to use with my other training modalities.
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 08:36 AM  
Sara1000

Just a word of caution: I kept doing jumping stuff into my 60's and then one day I jumped and something happened with my right knee that has taken years of careful therapeutic exercise to more or less recover from.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 04:19 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
To be brutally honest, the reason I moved away from Margaret Richard is that I started to realize she neglects some very basic crucial movement patterns. She almost never does squats, and I don't recall any hip hinges or rows. Her back exercise is more of a shoulder exercise as far as I could tell after doing it for a few years.
One reason I like Margaret is because she doesn't do squats and lunges. I destroyed my knees for years doing Firms which were full of them.

She does upright rows. I had problems doing them with Firms because they used heavy weights which wrecked my shoulders. Using four pound weights gives me results without injuries.

My back shaped up nicely with her back and shoulder exercises which sometimes engage both back and shoulder at the same time

Like any workout, it's different strokes for different folks. It isn't productive for me to do exercises that cause injury because it means I can't do anything for weeks. Going lighter and/or easier but being consistent is key.

I started this thread two years ago! I have no idea if AARP ever had a fitness column as I am not a member.
Old 07-27-18, 12:19 AM  
aspidistra

Margaret Richard is three years older than me but she looks younger. Because of this thread I spent some time looking up her workouts. They look similar to TA but some moves are different. I've been doing TA method for five years. I do not have wonderful arm definition like Margaret Richard's! I am wondering if her method will do it for me. She seems to use 3 to 8 lb weights. Have any of you achieved awesome arm definition using her workouts?
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 11:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Didn't Margaret once complain to them that they were calling people over 50 "elderly" and having them do exercises like seated balloon volleyball? I thought this was that thread when I clicked on it.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 01:20 PM  
MoFirmer

aspidistra - Have you looked into Simone DeLaRue (BBS)? She has a lot of Tracy Anderson type moves but uses weights and her arms look great! Also how about Terri Walsh?
Old 07-27-18, 03:00 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
My back shaped up nicely with her back and shoulder exercises which sometimes engage both back and shoulder at the same time
Co-signing! I completed an 8 week MR rotation, and my back and shoulders have never looked better. I have done Cathe, Firm, you know the toughies. Well, my back looked good with them too, but not like with MR. At first, I said to myself, "this can't be, she doesn't DO all that much back work." However, my back looks great. Additionally, I did one proper pull up, you know, using more of your back muscles like you're supposed to. My ONLY strength work has been MR for these past 8 weeks.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 03:30 PM  
SueT

Bubbles, your results are really interesting! Could you share your rotation and any other results you got from 8 weeks of Margaret’s workouts?

Thanks so much,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 03:38 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Bubbles, your results are really interesting! Could you share your rotation and any other results you got from 8 weeks of Margaret’s workouts?

Thanks so much,
Sue
I agree. I’m working on being able to do a single proper pull up (hopefully by 65) so that aspect of what you wrote really interests me.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 04:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Co-signing! I completed an 8 week MR rotation, and my back and shoulders have never looked better. I have done Cathe, Firm, you know the toughies. Well, my back looked good with them too, but not like with MR. At first, I said to myself, "this can't be, she doesn't DO all that much back work." However, my back looks great. Additionally, I did one proper pull up, you know, using more of your back muscles like you're supposed to. My ONLY strength work has been MR for these past 8 weeks.
Very interesting! I didn't know MR had any rotations.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aarp, aging, cane fu, ernestine shepherd, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation, national institute aging, senior exercise