Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-18, 07:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
\ Also, I believe that the Loft is more young womens' sizing Unless they have women's sizes (W), you may have to look at a different brand.
I never thought of Loft as young women's sizing. I'm always psyched when I find one of their pieces at Goodwill b/c they tend to fit me really well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 08:09 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

I am 54 and do the following:
  • Classical Stretch
  • Fitbit - at least 10000 steps a day - I am so addicted to my FitBit!!!
  • The Fast Diet (cant discuss here but try YouTube for more info or your library for the book)
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 11:01 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Back to what being like is in our 60s. Apart from making a more concerted effort to stave off whatever I can to remain reasonably fit and healthy physically, I find that I'm focusing more on trying to be fit and healthy psychologically as well. I am a bit more tolerant and I'm trying to be more open minded than I was when I was younger. I try not to take as much for granted since by this decade I've seen and done a lot and lost a lot as well. It's a time for putting things more in perspective and finding my priorities.
Thank you for saying so. Psychological health matters, regardless of age , and it's not too early to begin cultivating good habits , but people act as if it doesn't matter.

I don't mean to sound very cynical, but I suppose that we'll hear more about psychological health when more people will spend lots of money to try to acquire it, and many of the approaches sold will be psychologically questionable. Before that day, if it ever arrives, suppose that I had horrible psychological health, some Great Body, and an abstemiously "clean" diet--people would laud me for how disciplined, inspirational, and attractive I was.

In fact, a good portion of the "fitness" world relies on promoting suboptimal psychological health. If I tell my friend how ugly she is, my friend will probably be shocked and upset, but if I tell myself how ugly I am, the friendly fitness world offers multiple solutions for changing how I look (and not how I see), with a bonus tape measure if I buy in the next 30 minutes.

I also didn't quite mean to "promote" my own thread, but this thread on "old talk" (to which cataddict has posted) started for topically related reasons.

Edited to add:

I wasn't thinking of "old talk" when I chose my current signature, but it's relevant. Because my signature may change (and this post won't otherwise preserve a signature), I'll quote my current one here.

Quote:
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 05-17-18 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added final part
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 01:17 PM  
sugar rose

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off... But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly..."

hch - What exactly does "Real" symbolize in this metaphor? Just wondering.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 01:20 PM  
sugar rose

"That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there are probably lots of us who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 01:47 PM  
desderata

If you google search something like, "meaning of velveteen rabbit being 'real,' there are a lot of different reflections on what it means. I found it interesting. Here are links to a few:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/9903...ves-to-be-real

http://www.insightfulinnovations.com...-vulnerability

http://restlessimaginations.blogspot...velveteen.html
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 06:12 PM  
aspidistra

I'm 69 and would like to chime in. I suffered severe hot flashes, anxiety, fibromyalgia and more, during perimenopause. That was around age 48 to 58 or so. Then my body calmed down somewhat and I've been postmenopausal for a while. I work hard to keep a good diet and exercise regime. If I don't, the weight comes back or plateaus. Things do calm down after menopause, but then you will realize how young you still were at age 50 or 60. It is harder now to reach my goal. After a whole year on TA Meta and Continuity I am still 20 lbs from my goal. But I keep on working toward it. When I was younger and gained 20 or 30 lbs. I always lost it in four months. So I guess this is something about aging.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 06:39 PM  
bjones

Fortunately I'm discovering that as my exercise decreases, my appetite also decreases. You can't eat as much as when you were younger and I gain weight faster so you have to be really careful with what you eat when you begin to decrease the intensity/calorie burn of your workouts. Because it is VERY hard to lose weight in your 60s without it being a lot of muscle mass.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 07:31 PM  
videofit

No weight gain unless I eat too much. I've used bioidentical HRT in an estradiol patch and ProGest cream from Whole Foods for many years since my hysterectomy. I'm also hypothyroid and take Naturethroid which is natural pig thyroid.
Old 05-18-18, 07:15 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off... But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly..."

hch - What exactly does "Real" symbolize in this metaphor? Just wondering.
Thanks for the discussion on the subject, and desderata, I'll read more about the links later.

This "Real" can intepreted in multiple ways.

I wanted to use this part as my signature just after I first read it--several years ago, online, at this "Celebration of Women Writers" page with illustrations on the website of the UPenn Digital Library. (I'd known about "The Velveteen Rabbit" since childhood, but I'd actually never read it, read any summaries of it, or even watched any animated adaptations of it; I knew only a little about the initial premise and didn't know how the story ends.)

By that time, I distinctly noticed what the Skin Horse said. It's quite unlike other, louder ways of looking at the human body. They tell us that we (and most people!) are probably ugly except to people who don't "understand." Don't you realize that your A is too skinny, your B is too fat, your C is too muscular, and your D is otherwise oddly built?

At that time, I wasn't thinking particularly of becoming "very shabby" with age, but I've seen more about "old talk" lately. In fact, the title of this thread reminded me of this line: "Of what use was it to be loved and lose one's beauty and become Real if it all ended like this?" Even if I weren't thinking about age, I suppose that most of us grow older anyway.

In fact, you readers are already Real--whether you like the fact or not, whether you already knew it or not--and even in a world where velveteen rabbits probably don't talk to Skin Horses or wish to be Real, I will insist that "you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

I'm thinking of continuing this post later: another member's signature continues in this vein, but I'll have to think about how to write this post.

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50