Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-15, 08:42 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Some of my favorites this past year were:

Three Amazing Things About You - Jill Mansell - I really loved this book and it introduced me to Jill Mansell.

Stillwater Rising - This one was more of a pleasant surprise. I have trouble finding mysteries I like these days.

The Color of Light
- I love Emilie Richards books and I especially enjoy this series.

The Martian - I really enjoyed this book. Note that I skimmed some of the more scientific passages when he was explaining the science behind what he did. I laughed out loud so many times while I was reading this.

The Family by David Laskin - This is non-fiction book that I thought about after I finished it. It was a fascinating story.

Firefly Hollow - This one was probably the biggest surprise all year. It was an enjoyable book.

Me Without You
= Kelly Rimmler - Really, really good book.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 08:45 PM  
cherimac

Laura, my oldest son loved The Martian too.
Old 12-05-15, 08:56 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I thought I was the only one who didn't like "This is How You Lose Her." I really liked "The Invention of Wings."

I'm on Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10449637-erica I have quite a few friends from VF!

Erica
Hi Erica, I'm already one of your GR friends. It's hard to tell with different names & pics!
(I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it either!)

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 08:58 PM  
Eibhinn

Best fiction read this year: We have always lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Best non-fiction read this year: Without You, There is no us by Suki Kim (about teaching at a school for elites in North Korea)

It was an incredibly busy year for me this year, so if I didn't enjoy something I stopped reading it and forgot about it. So no worst to report.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 09:29 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
Hi Erica, I'm already one of your GR friends. It's hard to tell with different names & pics!
(I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it either!)
I thought so!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 09:47 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Count me as another who didn't like Gone Girl. Was there anyone in the story who was likeable?

I didn't read much this year, but Hugh Howery's (Howey?) Wool series caught my attention and I enjoyed it. Oh yeah, The Martian was quite engrossing.

Anyone have any opinions about Sin in the Second City? This has been on my wish list for several years but it looks like it will never be discounted on Amazon and my local library system doesn't have it.

---
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:57 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I can't remember if I read it this year or last, but I loved Brave Girl Eating by Harriet Brown, a mother's memoir of her daughter's battle with anorexia.

Also loved Nella Last's War, the actual diary of a middle-aged housewife written during WW2. Also reading Nella Last's Peace, the continuation of Last's diary, but not enjoying it as much as War.

Currently reading London 1945, about how London fared around the end/immediate post-war period. (On a WW2 homefront kick!)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 08:13 AM  
isebelleg44

I didn't read as much, as I would have liked in 2015, so I didn't even come close to my Goodreads 2015 reading challenge goals. There were no books, that I rated 5 stars this year, but there were ones I really enjoyed.

Really liked:

Girl on the Train - I also enjoyed it more than Gone Girl
The Nightingale - I couldn't stop thinking about it after I read it, but it felt a little short of 5 stars for me. Hmm maybe I should reconsider my rating
All the Light we Cannot See - I liked the Nightingale better, but still enjoyed this one.
600 Hours of Edward - This was a good read, although I tired a little of the Dragnet references
The House we Grew Up In - What a depressing book! It kept me company on a day I was sick and I ended up reading it all in one day. So I guess I really liked it!

I have to add the two Lisa Genova books I read, as Still Alice is one of my favorite books:

Love Anthony - liked but didn't love
Inside the O'Briens - Was a little disappointed in this one. I wish some of the children were better developed characters.

I had no real duds, but I can't make myself continue with After You and I don't want my avoiding this book, keep me from reading other books that I might enjoy more. I can't read more than one book at the same time, as I can barely keep up with one!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote