Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-14, 09:52 AM  
txfitmom

I would check out some of the clips of her DVDs on Youtube:

Joyce Vedral Youtube

For fast workouts my fav Joyce workouts are Quick Quartet, Slow Duet, and On the Ball.

For total body workouts I like Fast Forward and Bottoms Up Gold.

If I really want to focus on split workouts for upper and lower body then I like Dynamic Tension and Complete NonStop or Speedy Nonstop.

I definitely like the ones that have Marthe in them as well because she helps Joyce keep track of the reps a little better. You may be able to find someone to trade with, that is how I tried my first Joyce workout and Amazon and Collage carry them as well so you can just buy 1 to see if you like her style.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a Joyce Vedral check-in I can start one up or if someone else wants to start one. Seems like there is quite a bit of interest in Joyce workouts lately!

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 10:04 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Just my opinion from getting back into it but I think the newer DVDs with Marthe counting would be easier to follow along to. I did Definition lower body last night and I do enjoy listening to her but I think I will probably get more benefit from the book, but keeping up the tempo. I think BUG+ may use 1 second reps. So far that one is a favorite. I'm adding the Just Joyce series in minus the abs, I think I have plenty from her other workouts I found her older workouts in books online and grabbed those up, at a penny each. There is something in Fat Burning I want to check out, an ab move with weights that makes your waist look smaller and I haven't seen it used anywhere else.
I agree! BUG+ is also my favorite. I like using the books, not the DVDs, for WTME and Fat Burning. Also recommend the Just Joyce series.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 10:25 AM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
. . . But now reading everyone's comments, I'm tempted to start up with Joyce again.
So, quoting myself, I just bought Joyce's Bone Building Body Shaping Workout book from Barnes & Noble. I'm going to give it a try, starting with 3, 5, & 8 pounds. There is one exercise that I'm definitely going to modify/change. She does an upright row and the photo shows her elbows way above her shoulders. This exercise seems to be making a lot of "exercise to avoid" lists. Back to her book, she writes a lot about diet and health. It's interesting to see how things have changed since 1998 when the book was published.
Old 07-10-14, 10:46 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
BTW, if anyone is interested in a Joyce Vedral check-in I can start one up or if someone else wants to start one. Seems like there is quite a bit of interest in Joyce workouts lately!
I'd definitely be interested in a check-in. Or I'd be happy to start one if there's interest.

As an aside, this is only my second week of dedicated (as opposed to haphazard) strength training, but I tried on a pair of pants the other day that I haven't been able to wear in three years. And they fit. I was out walking with a coworker recently, and she said she noticed that I've been slimming down. Now granted, I've been walking and rebounding regularly too, but I didn't notice any change until I started pyramid training again. The usual criticisms about Joyce aside, I always end up going back to her programs because they deliver results I can see.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old 07-10-14, 10:53 AM  
met fan

Dose anyone have any experience with her "Toning for Teens". I picked it up at Goodwill awhile ago but my daughter barely looked at it. But, it looks solid for any age. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 10:54 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
So, quoting myself, I just bought Joyce's Bone Building Body Shaping Workout book from Barnes & Noble. I'm going to give it a try, starting with 3, 5, & 8 pounds. There is one exercise that I'm definitely going to modify/change. She does an upright row and the photo shows her elbows way above her shoulders. This exercise seems to be making a lot of "exercise to avoid" lists. Back to her book, she writes a lot about diet and health. It's interesting to see how things have changed since 1998 when the book was published.
I've been skipping upright rows too, but I'm never sure about a good substitute because I don't know which muscles I'm supposed to be working--the traps? The delts?

Yes, the 1998 fat-is-evil diet advice is interesting, isn't it?

Old 07-10-14, 11:39 AM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I've been skipping upright rows too, but I'm never sure about a good substitute because I don't know which muscles I'm supposed to be working--the traps? The delts?

Yes, the 1998 fat-is-evil diet advice is interesting, isn't it?
In the books, upright rows are usually included when working the back, so maybe traps? I always substitute a W press move that I think I first saw in a Tracie Long workout. It's a wide press starting in the shape of a W and moving out from the body with the thumbs facing behind you. I don't know if I'm working the same muscles, but it is always a move that feels good to me. I tried to find a video or picture better illustrating it, but can't track anything down.

I am grateful this thread was started. I just did my third Joyce Vedral workout today (and third this week), and I think it's just what I need right now! I have been using the Weight Training Made Easier book. I own Speedy Nonstop and Now or Never/Top Shape. The 6 dvd package she has seems like such a great deal. I'm trying to decide what to get.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 11:51 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
OMG! How could I forget Joyce! I still remember her in her gold bikini on the Montel Williams show.

Sissy: I didn't know you liked Joyce!
I do like Joyce, I just haven't used her workouts in a while. I get almost immediate results in my upper body with her workouts. My problem area is my lower body though and I don't feel like my results are as good there from her workouts. But, I did get Bottoms Up Gold Plus a while back (I haven't tried it yet), which is supposed to be one of her more effective lower body workouts based on posts I've seen here at VF.

I do make modifications, there are some moves I don't do since I have neck and shoulder issues - for example, upright rows. There's another shoulder move I don't do in Just Arms because it is unique to Joyce's workouts (and it may be a bodybuilding move that just isn't usually done in DVDs) and I don't know if her form is correct or not so I'm not willing to risk it.

Joyce includes upright rows in her back workouts, but other instructors consider them a shoulder exercise. Either way, I substitute something else.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 12:50 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I'd definitely be interested in a check-in. Or I'd be happy to start one if there's interest.

I would be interested in a check in, I'm probably going to be focusing on BUG+ for awhile.

I have a rebounder too and need to pull that out. Joyce said in an article she tries to walk 50 minutes every day and as someone who dislikes cardio, I may give it a try. It's so pretty outside in Denver right now I need to get out. ~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 12:52 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by met fan View Post
Dose anyone have any experience with her "Toning for Teens". I picked it up at Goodwill awhile ago but my daughter barely looked at it. But, it looks solid for any age. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
Is that the same workout as the college one with Marthe? I've heard some really great things about that one just using 5 lb dumbbells.
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only