Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-04, 09:37 AM  
vmelo

Best cardio wkouts for advanced-level?

Hi, all. Boy, have I been drawing on the wisdom of you VFers this week (this is probably the third thread I've started this week)!

Anyway, the last thread I started was asking about how often I should do Interval Training. I love interval training, but the feedback I got says I should do it no more than a couple of times a week. So, that leaves me with a few days of cardio that are unaccounted for. I do plan to walk as it gets warmer, but I also need my videos!

That said, my birthday is coming up & my sister wants to buy me the exercise DVD of my choice. As such, I need some recommendations for good cardio-only workouts (I already have several circuit-type workouts). Here's some things to keep in mind when recommending:

1) I think I'm advanced in terms of cardio because I love Gin Miller's Awesome Intervals (granted, I feel wiped after it, but it's a good exhausted feeling), so I'm looking for an advanced cardio workout.

2) I think I respond better to moderate choreography. Although I do eventually get complex moves, there are just some moves that tend to frustrate me (usually small moves like shuffles & ponies; I can get the more defined moves, though). I was thinking about getting Christi's Fab Four DVD, but some of the reviews about the complexity of the choreography have scared me off. That said, I think very basic moves might bore me.

3) I'd like a workout that lasts about an hour, or one in which the main workout portion is about 45 minutes (i.e., minus the warm-up & cooldown). I do workouts in the a.m. before work, so I can't take too long, but I don't want something that lasts only 1/2 hour (if I'm going to get up and work out, I want it to be worthwhile).

4) I'd prefer something that's on DVD. I have VHS, but a DVD is so much easier & usually has more options & ways to combine workouts.

5) This may seem silly, but I don't want something that's more than a few years old. For some reason, it really turns me off to pop in a video where all the instructors are in pastel leotards (if they have on leg warmers, that's the final straw & I'm not doin' the workout).

6) As if all the above criteria weren't enough, I'm not partial to kickbox videos even though I really wanted to be. I can never do the moves correctly at the speed the instructor does. I recently mildly hurt my knee when trying to do Kathy Smith's kickbox DVD (BTW, although the moves were fast, this didn't get my HR up).

So, I need a cardio-only workout that's advanced, moderate choreo, about 1 hour long, DVD-preferred, not too old, & not kickboxing. BTW, I have a step.

I appreciate any suggestions you all can give me.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 12:38 PM  
Elisabeth
VF Supporter

The Fabulous Four DVD is loads of fun, but if you don't think you catch on to choreography quickly, there will be a serious learning curve. I catch on quite quickly, and I still had to do these workouts several times before I "got" it. So that might be one to grow with.

So my recommendation would be Cathe. If you go to her website at www.cathe.com you can find clips of all of her workouts, I think. Her DVDs are wonderful--extremely well-chaptered and designed. All of the newer ones have lots of special premixes and options in addition to the main workouts. She teaches more and cues better (IMO) on her older workouts, but if you don't like the dated workout wear, they're probably not for you. My top 3 recommendations for you would be: the Rythmic Step/IMAX/MIC DVD (IMAX & MIC are older workouts but they're not too terribly dated looking, and it sounds like they would meet your criteria)
the IMAX2/Cardio & Weights DVD
the new Step Blast/Step Jump & Pump DVD

IMAX 1 & 2 are interval workouts, but it's easy to skip the intervals and string the choreographed sections together for a step workout.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 01:01 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelo
2) I think I respond better to moderate choreography. Although I do eventually get complex moves, there are just some moves that tend to frustrate me (usually small moves like shuffles & ponies; I can get the more defined moves, though).
Since you specifically say that you'd like more moderate choreography, I will respectifully disagree with Elizabeth's recommendations because I think you'll be frustrated with Rhythmic Step and Step Blast. I would recommend Cathe's Cardio Classics.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 02:02 PM  
Pam L
VF Supporter

I'd say go for Christi's Fantastic Four. It's such a fantastic deal - close to 5 hours of workouts for $29.95. The sections are varying complexity. Stage 3 of Hi-lo Heaven and Step Heaven are non-complex circuit workouts - you could start there to get used to Christi's choreo. The Stage 1s, as well as Still Jumpin and Still Steppin, are moderately advanced. Stage 2s are the trickiest - you could save them for last.
Old 03-28-04, 08:00 PM  
Bebop

Check out Cathe's new Timesaver DVD. You will get workouts using her new Bodyblast series - very new - just came out.

There are 5 workouts You get a little of step, a little of her hi/lo and a little of kickbox.

She also includes on each workout one segment from the weight exercise of step/jump/pump.

The choreograhy IMHO is not complicated - especially the kickbox and hi/lo.

I'd recommend some of Cathe's earlier tapes - Stepheat - the wedding tape, STepfit - but you asked for newer stuff and these are old.

Cathe's Cardio and weights is pretty easy to pickup but you'd want the DVD so you could do the stepportion only and get that cardio only workout.

Cathe Bodybalst has easy choreography - but it is a killer. There are 2 cardio sections - a step, then a step - standing leg interval and then a 20 min endurance weight workout. It is a killer, even among advanced Cathe devotees. I usually just break each section out on its own or do the first 2 step sections becuase I can't do the entire tape yet. But, you asked for newer stuff and this has been out a while.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 08:21 PM  
vmelo

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations, you guys. As if my post weren't long enough, I should have mentioned that I already have Cathe's All Step (I got it w/ my club step) & have no problem w/ the choreo on that. I also have BC/ME, but BC is toning/cardio, not just cardio (as a matter of fact, I was disappointed to find that if I choose the cardio only premix, the workout is less than 15 minutes).

Elisabeth, thanks for all the great Cathe recommendations. Is MIC a regular cardio workout or an interval workout? For some reason I thought it was interval, but if it isn't, I'll take another look at it.

KarenP, thanks for the caveat. Now that you know I've had a bit of exposure to a Cathe step workout (i.e., All Step), do you still think Rhythmic Step & Step Blast would be too difficult?

PamL, you're tempting me w/ the Christi's recommendation. When I read the reviews of the Fab 4 workouts on Collage & on VF they all got nearly unanimous "thumbs ups." Also, you're right about it being a terrific bargain. I tend to underestimate my abilities in every facet of my life, esp. when I'm warned that something is difficult. My experience has been that I usually end up proving myself wrong. I used to take step classes at the gym and after taking the same instructor's class twice, I never had a problem getting the steps, but I know that it might be easier to learn in person. I'm going to seriously consider getting Fab 4.

BeBob, thank you for the recommendations. The only thing that I don't like about the Timesaver workout is that the cardio sections are too short. Also, I found out that the only way I can string together the cardio sections is by fooling around with the chaptering thing, which I know would eventually become tiresome for me & I wouldn't do it. The Bodyblast one you mentioned sounds intriguing though, so I'll check that out.

Thanks, again, ladies! And to all the other VFers who look at this thread, keep the suggestions comin'!
Old 03-28-04, 08:42 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

I may be wrong, but it sounds like BeBop is referring to BodyMax, rather than Body Blast??? Just FYI... . Body Blast is the newer series, with Step, Jump and Pump, Legs and Glutes, Kick, Punch and Crunch, etc., isn't it?

Karen

Last edited by Rhae; 03-28-04 at 09:02 PM. Reason: More info
Rhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 10:47 AM  
termitejulia

Maybe Try Christi's Totallies

If you're not sure about Christi's Fabulous Four, you might try her Totally Cool Step and Totally Hot Cardio. They're a bit easier choreographically, plus she has the move master on the DVD, which might help.

Julia
termitejulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 01:41 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelo
Now that you know I've had a bit of exposure to a Cathe step workout (i.e., All Step), do you still think Rhythmic Step & Step Blast would be too difficult?
I don't know since I've never seen ALL STEP. Perhaps others can help here.

The reason I recommended Cardio Hits is that it has two really good, moderate steady-state workouts: Power Max and Step Fit. The third w/o (Step Works) is, IMO, flawed because the BPMs are too fast. Also, w/Cathe, I think it's really great to work up sequentially with her step w/os which will make learning the choreography easier.

MIC is a high intensity workout consisting of fairly basic, athletic choreography. Because of its intensity, I do NOT think this is a good workout to compliment your interval training.

BTW, have you thought of looking for non-step/hi-lo workouts?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 02:08 PM  
vmelo

Hi, all. Thanks for the additional suggestions & keep 'em comin'.

KarenP, I have tried kickboxing, but I can't seem to do the moves correctly at a speed that's fast enough to increase my HR. I do walk/run, but I like having cardio tapes to for when the weather is bad or just for variety. I don't know of any other types of nonstep/hi-lo workouts. Was there something you could suggest?

Julia (& others who want to chime in here), I was on Christi's web site last night, and if I'm not mistaken, it seemed as if the Fab 4 DVD included the Move Master. If this is the case, I might go with that.

Thanks, all!