Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-04, 12:08 PM  
clasparm

First Time Doing Step Aerobics

Hello Everyone,
Well, I just bought a step and went checked out Jane Fonda's Step Aerobic and Abdominal Workout from the library. I have a lot of weight to loose. I have been walking and doing Tae Bo, but wanted a change. Also, I wanted something that kept me constantly in motion and really raised my heart rate that I can do at home,every morning.

For you veterans, I was wondering how often would you recommend doing the tape a week (I would like to work up to working out 60 minutes a day),what other tapes would be great to start my collection and what tapes are great for someone who's first goal is just to loose weight (and then eventually tone). This site is a great find, I am really looking forward to working out this week end and this site has given me a lot of encouragement

Thanks!

Clasparm
clasparm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:01 PM  
ziggy2306
VF Supporter

Oh boy..are you ready for this?

While I cannot give you step recommendations, per se, I can tell you you've come to the right place and I am sure there will be loads of help for you. I think what would help us the most is if you tell us things like your fitness level, kinds of music and activities you like, and how long of a workout you can handle right now.

Do you only want Step suggestions, or would you like some other cardio suggestions too? Let us know and I'm sure we'll be able to suggest loads for you!

Oh ya - and welcome to VF!

Starting over is never easy...

***That's Abner, my crazy Bassador (Bassett/Lab) in my avatar***
ziggy2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:13 PM  
Seabush

I'm not a huge step fan. My collection is limited to the following workouts.

Reebok: The Video - Gin Miller
Charlene Prickett - Get the Fat Off Crosstrainer
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:23 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

For First-time Step, try Kathy Smith's Step Workout and Donna Richardson Step and Awesome Abs.

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:25 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Clasparm, the forums will be down for maybe a week starting tonight so that WWWendy (The VF Caretaker) can upgrade the forum tools. Just letting you know - we'll be back! And thank you Wendy!!

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:50 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

Re: First Time Doing Step Aerobics

Quote:
Originally posted by clasparm
For you veterans, I was wondering how often would you recommend doing the tape a week (I would like to work up to working out 60 minutes a day),what other tapes would be great to start my collection and what tapes are great for someone who's first goal is just to loose weight (and then eventually tone).
Hi Clasparm!

Welcome to step! I've been doing it a long time and it's still my favorite form of cardio. The Jane Fonda tape you got from the library was my very first step tape, too. I actually did it every day for about 3 months. It definitely helped with weight loss.

The point isn't, of course, to have you do the same tape every day, but just to say for that particular one, you can do it every day without any worries. I would suggest giving yourself at least one rest day per week, though!

Other step workouts you might enjoy:

Step Reebok: The Video (Gin Miller)
Ultimate Step (Keli Roberts)
Best of Step TV (Gin Miller)
Cher Fitness: New Attitude (led by Keli Roberts)

Have fun!

Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 06:43 PM  
doskymom

If you like Jane Fonda's Step and Abs, then you will probably like her Step & Stretch workout, also. And I second the recommendations for Reebok Step - The Video and the Kathy Smith step tapes. I'm a big fan of stepping.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 01:24 PM  
Conni

I second all the suggestions above. All the tapes mentioned above are fantastic for the new stepper, I can only echo their choices!
Old 03-23-04, 02:46 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Gilad has a good step tape. . lots of arm motions but I left them out as I was learning . .
Step Reebok - the Video (Gin's original tape)
Leslie Sansone has a basic step tape with walking
Reebok AeroStep - step and floor combos
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-04, 03:45 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

My recommendation and it is a non step recommendation is the Slim in 6 by Beachbody.com.

My step suggestions are for Keli Roberts in the Cher video, Kathy Koehler in her step workout (cannot remember the name), Victoria Johnson, Susan Powter, Gilad and Gin Miller step videos (but do not get Extreme Intensity!).

Once you have figured out if you like step, Cathe Friedrich is the best IMO for step and strength.

Sheila