Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-04, 05:19 PM  
Sophia

Need advice for step workout

My brand new (and first ever) Club step is coming today. (WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!) I bought it with the intent of eventually using it for the latest Firm workouts whenever they become available for sale without their new box. However, I'd like to actually use it as a step, now that it'll be lying there taking up space.

What are some good workouts to start out with? I have been exercising regularaly since May/June of last year. I primarily use the Firm (both old and new). I did one week of Slim Series, and almost died.

I don't want workouts that are strictly for beginners, because I want to be able to work up to and continue using them in the future. I don't want something that will eventually become easy and wind up collecting dust.

I was thinking about something by Gin Miller, since she is so associated with step, but I'll listen to all suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 05:32 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Sorry, but I think you SHOULD start will a beginner tape so you'll be sure to learn good step technique. I would recommend Step Reebok: The video by Gin Miller. There's a primer at the back. You'll probably outgrow it fairly fast.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 05:45 PM  
lissalaurel76

I agree, a beginner vid or 2 will be beneficial. Jane Fonda's Step & Stretch is a good one, and so is Crunch Fat Blaster the Next Step. You're probably already a little past this one, but it doesn't hurt to mention it since they explain the steps so well in this one... Richard Simmons' Step & Sweat. That one's out of print, but maybe you can find it cheap somewhere sometime. Its VERY basic, but Richard shares the spotlight with 2 other instructors and they teach the basic steps really well.

Once you know some basic stepping you can maybe try Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Breakthrough, or Kathy Smith's Power Step. (Power Step will be available on DVD in June)

Gin Miller has some good ones too.
lissalaurel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 06:17 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

Jane Fonda Step and Abs
Step Reebok: The Video (the original, with Gin Miller)
Best of Step TV (also Gin Miller, available on her web site)
Keli Roberts' Ultimate Step

The good thing about these is that they contain instruction and reminders about form, so you will be learning how to do it the right way, but they also contain modifications that enable you to "ramp up" the intensity and complexity after you are comfortable and know what you're doing.

If you want to go head-first into deep water, there's always Cathe's Get in Shape for Your Wedding, Step Heat, or Power Max. But be prepared to feel the love for the "pause" and "rewind" features of your remote until you get the moves down. Also, you'll need to understand how to MODIFY because the intensity of these workouts is HIGH.

Have fun,
Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 06:29 PM  
Kyra

I'd suggest you go with something with basic choreography (more or less anything by Gin would do; pick the level to suit yourself) rather than looking for a "beginner" tape, per se. I started with Kathy Smith's Great Buns and Thighs without any real problems, and recommend that tape without reservations as well. YMMV, but basic stepping choreo is not rocket science, and I do agree with you totally about not buying videos you'll outgrow in a matter of a run through or two. Kathy also has a Step workout; you may want to check out the reviews of that one, see if it seems appropriate.

Good luck and enjoy!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 10:25 AM  
Rose031

My suggestions

It depends on your personal taste, but if you'd like a more industrial, no chatting, music as live drums I'd go for the Gin Miller Step Workout. If you'd like something a little more personal, a little lighter, I'd suggest the Kathy Smith Step Workout. Both are good workouts, and you'll learn a lot of the basics, but the tone is very different. These are older workouts, so you may even find them on someone's SASE list, so you wouldn't have to buy something you'll only use for a short while, or if I remember correctly, there was a thread with people willing to let VFers 'borrow' tapes for a few weeks. You may be able to find something that'll get you going that way. Hope this helps.

Rose
Old 03-05-04, 11:08 AM  
doskymom

I've had the Jane Fonda step workouts for years and the Kathy Smith ones, too. I still use them quite often and consider them a good workout even though I've worked my way up to maybe intermediate/advanced level. I use an 8-inch step and still get a decent workout with these, so you may be able to use them longer than you think depending upon whether you'll get tired of the basic choreography or not. I don't mind it myself.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 01:17 PM  
Josee D
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenP
I would recommend Step Reebok: The video by Gin Miller. There's a primer at the back. You'll probably outgrow it fairly fast.
I agree with this recommendation but I just wanted to add that I have never gotten tired or outgrown that tape. I know a lot of people do, but it never happed for me. This was my first love yearssss ago, and I still do it regularly, and it still gets me in my heart rate zone. It's a question of finding what you like I guess. I like ambiences and this one has a great one. I just wanted to say that not everyone gets bored with it I wrote a review about it, you can read there how much I like it

By the way I consider myself an intermediate exerciser.
Josee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 01:22 PM  
doskymom

I agree with Josee about "Step Reebok", too. I still use this workout often and I love the atmosphere, too. I feel a little like the Terminator when I do this one...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 01:36 PM  
Sophia

Thank you

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I've decided to start with the Reebok video that EVERYONE seems to love. I've also ordered the Keli Roberts Ultimate Step & Kathy Smith's Great Buns & Thighs workouts. Being a vidiot, I also got Keli Roberts Circuit Training video. I figure it'll be something to work up to. It had lots of great reviews, so I figured I'd grab it while I could.

I tried out my new step last night using Tamilee Webb's Weightloss workout from her Tighter Assets DVD. It's only about 30 minutes and very basic (IMO). I think that was a very good initial workout for me since it's so basic and gave me a bit of an intro of the bigger things to come. I think I'm going to use that until videos arrive.

Thanks again to everyone! (Of course, if anyone else wants to contribute, feel free. Heaven forbid I don't carry a balance on my credit card!)
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote