Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 03-04-04, 09:56 AM  
JohnnysMom
VF Supporter

I'm a barbell virgin - HELP!

Well, I finally broke down yesterday and purchased my first set of barbell plates. A friend gave me an old barbell rod that she no longer used. It's a bit shopworn but I figure it should do the job. It's just a straight black metal rod with no cuts on it at all. My question is: will those Weider clip things be enough to hold the weights in place on both sides of the plates? And if so, how do I know how far in on boths sides of the bar to place the plates? Or do I need to get a better bar to go with the plates? I noticed the curved bars are pretty pricey. I was going to try and keep this low budget, since I already spend so much money on DVDs but I just want to make sure I'm going about this safely. Thanks!

Susan
JohnnysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 12:00 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Re: I'm a barbell virgin - HELP!

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnysMom
A friend gave me an old barbell rod that she no longer used. It's a bit shopworn but I figure it should do the job. It's just a straight black metal rod with no cuts on it at all. My question is: will those Weider clip things be enough to hold the weights in place on both sides of the plates? And if so, how do I know how far in on boths sides of the bar to place the plates?
A barbell ROD??? A barbell usually has two flanges that stop the plates. The plates should be placed flush up against the flanges. If it's just a smooth rod, without these flanges, then you you should get yourself a real barbell.

Quote:
I noticed the curved bars are pretty pricey.
No, do NOT get one of those E-Z curl bars. They are meant for certain situations, but are not great for squatting.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 12:15 PM  
JohnnysMom
VF Supporter

Thanks!

Karen: Sounds like I was about to do myself in with this old rusty bar! No, there are no flanges of any kind on this bar. But I will double check when I get home to be sure. Are these bars expensive? Thanks for the tip on the EZ bar, too.

Susan
Old 03-04-04, 12:24 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Sorry, don't know what they go for these days. You should look for a standard barbell (1 inch diameter) that's 4' to 5' in length. The 5' bar is more common. You should look for one with knurling on the bar, which will make it easier to get your hand placements right. I think that quite a few folks here own a 4' standard bar made by Ivanko that is coated with neoprene. Personally, I would prefer the 5' bar with the knurling, but many do prefer the shorter one. How tall are you?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-04-04, 12:40 PM  
JohnnysMom
VF Supporter

I am 5' 3" . What exactly is knurling and neoprene? Is knurling that criss-cross etching into the bar that prevents slipping? I was at Dicks yesterday and they had no bars for me to look at - only that EZ thing. So I will have to look elsewhere. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-04-04, 12:48 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnysMom
I am 5' 3"
OK, you could get away with a 4' barbell if you wanted. I'm 5'2", but prefer a longer bar.

Quote:
What exactly is knurling and neoprene? Is knurling that criss-cross etching into the bar that prevents slipping?
Yes. Neoprene is a rubbery-like substance that covers the bar. Sort of makes the bar feel like a bodybar. Some people prefer it because it cushions your hands and neck. I don't.

Hopefully, others will jump in here and give you some different opinions.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-04-04, 02:35 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have troy lite barbell from www.fitness1st.com. It's a standard bar (1" dia)about 4.5 ft long. It has knurling, and I use a barbell pad for my lower body (where I put the barbell on my shoulder). I saw Tuesday Morning sells barbell pads for $5. You can just get the barbell for about $18+shipping (the barbell weighs 5 lbs). HTH.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 06:36 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

My husband just bought me an 80-pound barbell set from Amazon.com (Valentine's Day present!) that cost all of $27.00 (including shipping). That particular product doesn't seem to be available anymore, but you really don't have to spend much to get a decent set. That Troy Lite HDW mentions is a good one too.

Oh, about neoprene: I have a removable collar I use to cushion the bar against my neck when I've got it on the back of my shoulders (for weighted squats, for example), but otherwise, I just prefer the unsquishy feel of the bar. (I wear lifting gloves anyway.)

Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 01:24 PM  
JohnnysMom
VF Supporter

Marie: Wow - what an awesome price on a barbell set. Including shipping! I decided to look around today at Target and KMart and see what they had to offer. No one sold a separate bar but they did sell a complete barbell set and the going price was $49. I figured since I already spent that much on just plates from Dick's the other day and since a bar from the Fitness First site would cost be $25 with shipping, I might as well spring for an entire set and return the plates from Dicks. So, I bought a York set at Target today and I'll be taking my "maiden voyage" tomorrow morning. There was no cushion for the bar, so I will have to find one of those somewhere. I assume those are sold at sporting goods stores? I'm going to hit MC Sports this weekend and see if they have them.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for steering me away from my potentially dangerous barbell experience. Now I have the real deal.

And Karen, it's a 5' bar and has the knurling. Whoo hoo!!

I'm excited!
Old 03-05-04, 03:20 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Wow, that was quick. Sounds like you got a great deal. Make sure that you weigh the bar so you know how much you'll be lifting!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!