Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-01, 09:11 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

need yoga tape recommendations

I am looking for SHORT yoga tapes that are flexibility-oriented. I'm not much interested in becoming one with the universe or anything, so the less the "om" factor, the better. I'm looking for short tack-on tapes, although a longer tape, if its particularly good, would be great for a day on its own, so don't hesitate to recommend longer ones. I am seeking flexibility work and relaxation. . . I don't want to be working really hard, I want to be relieving stress. I have and like AM Yoga.

Until recently I have not done any yoga at all.

I hope my comment about a low "om" factor does not seem disrespectful to those of you who truly PRACTICE yoga. . . I just didn't know quite how else to put it. I suppose FITNESS yoga as opposed to WHOLE yoga is my quest here.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 09:36 PM  
Karen N
VF Supporter

Hmm. My brain is not functioning so well right now on this, but I can tell you one to definitely avoid. Kripalu Gentle. The om factor would likely drive you batty. Also, Living Arts tapes tend to have lots of "soften your brain" type phrasing that might get on your nerves. Same with Kest's "be where you're at, cause you're already there" and Baptiste's various in-love-with-his-floor comments.

Most of my yoga tapes seem to be of either the more power variety, or getting way into the "oneness of things (Yoga Mind and Body, that Gurmurkh tape, etc.), but maybe Crunch Joy of Yoga? For a yoga tape, it's pretty low-key on the om stuff. Any opinions from the other yoginis on this choice? Am I just thinking it would be okay in comparision to other stuff??

Hmm. Maybe the Kathy Smith tapes, too. I have them and never do them (and hence don't remember the om factor), if you'd like to borrow.
Old 11-26-01, 09:39 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

gosh Karen. . .

I kinda like "be where you're at, 'cause you're already there"

hehe!!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 09:47 PM  
Isalay
VF Supporter

Wink I finally can answer a post!

Although I'm sure the true yoginis will know more!

I like Kripalu Gentle for relaxing type yoga. It's about 45-50 minutes but is split into 2 parts. I usually do the first part only or the whole thing together. There's only one part I don't care for which is in the second part - it's hard to describe, but she has you sort of flop over a few times as you're standing. I suppose it's some sort of release, but I feel silly doing it!

I'm not sure it's a great flexibility tool, but it sure feels good! Oh yeah, and she (I don't know her name) talks kind of like she's talking to a child - very slow and deliberate. It can be a bit irritating (imo) but I just try and ignore it.
Old 11-26-01, 09:49 PM  
Sophie

Re: need yoga tape recommendations

Quote:
Originally posted by susan p

I hope my comment about a low "om" factor does not seem disrespectful to those of you who truly PRACTICE yoga. . . I just didn't know quite how else to put it. I suppose FITNESS yoga as opposed to WHOLE yoga is my quest here.
Heh..Susan, I've been known to refer to it as the "woo-woo" factor (though I think my tolerance for it is higher than most )

I second the suggestion for Crunch Joy of Yoga - it's about half an hour, and quite straightforward. I think the Yoga Zones are pretty non-mystical too, some of them are more like 50 minutes, but can be split up if you really want to.

Yoga for Athletes does have the "soften your skull" type of stuff, but I think it is still quite tolerable for the non-mystical sort, and it can be split up into like 3 parts if you want. Most of the talk is directed towards knowing why flexiblity in certain areas is important. If you can handle "let your groins spill forward towards the earth" you can handle this tape.

I seem to remember thinking Yoga Zone's Power Yoga as also fairly neutral for the om factor. I don't really like the way she builds the poses up in the sun salutations, but the last 20-25 minutes has a really good sequence (IMO) for ths hips and hamstrings...I keep this one for that segment alone and tack it on after cardio.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 09:58 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Hi Susan,
Another vote for Crunch Joy of Yoga.

Other good short beginning yoga tapes that you might like are the Yoga Zone videos with 2 20 minute workouts on them that are taken from their TV shows. Collage carries a few of these if you want to see video clips. They are definitely beginner level, short, and are filmed in Jamaica I think. Yoga Zone Yoga for Abs and Intro to Power Yoga are good ones. They are also releasing one soon called Stretching for Flexibility. These are also available retail: Borders, Suncoast, MediaPlay for under $10.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 10:51 PM  
Linda B
VF Supporter

Smile

Too bad about the OM factor because I think workout wise, Kripalu Gentle is perfect, but don't give in. You really would be annoyed. I am bothered by her voice and some of her comments, and I have a pretty high tolerance for that! But it is put together well, and is sleep inducing.

Crunch Joy of Yoga is pretty nice, and about half an hour. It may be more than you want, but it is on the easy side.

Maybe yoga for wieght loss with Suzanne Deason. It is in 3 20 minute parts, one of which is meditation, so you would probably not use that as much, but she has 4 participants and they show 4 levels, starting pretty much from unflexible to less flexible to avarage, then to Suzanne. That may work for you.

If you like Rodney, his Yoga for strength starts out much like AM yoga, then gets harder. That is set into 6 parts (I think) that run through the day, starting easy, getting harder, then slowing down again. It is a great 1 hour workout, but you could do parts if you find it cheap and enjoy Rodney.

If Alan FInger doesn't creep you out, try one of the original Yoga Zone ones. I find them all to be pretty much alike, but that first YZ COnditioning and Stress Release one really does a good job of relaxing me.

And, I haven't seen it, but it may be worth looking into David Swensen's Just Relax video. The review sounded like something that you might like.
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 11:54 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Yoga tapes

You might like Lilias Folan's tapes. She's a very good teacher and very non-mystical. To put it in Sophie's words, very low "woo-woo" factor. I think her tapes would fit in with your goal of relaxation. She even has some tapes directed specifically at relaxation. Collage carries her tapes, including a nice beginners set and one of her best tapes, Energize with Yoga. You might also check at your local library first to see if they have any you can preview before plunking down the cash.

You may also like Living Arts Yoga for Weight Loss. It's a very beautiful tape (even though I can't see what it has to do with weight loss). It shows 4 levels of modifications, which is nice.

Oh yeah, I agree with other that Crunch Joy of Yoga is a great non-mystical tape. I really like the instructor, Sarah Ivanhoe. She's wonderfully down to earth. The set is bright and clean and the music is upbeat. However, it's a pretty rigirous workout and might not be as relaxing as you are looking for. I got mine on ebay for $3 so it was really worth the price.
Old 11-27-01, 12:03 AM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Ditto on Crunch

For a longer tape I'd suggest Millenium Stretch (60 minutes). It incorporates feldenkrais and tai chi as well as yoga. Scott Cole is a little silly, but not terribly woo-woo.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 11:06 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Another is the yoga segment of Streamline Fitness.

It's about 15 minutes and follows a great 15 minute ab/back workout. Karen voight's instruction is just great.

The first section (25-min. toning workout) doesn't work for me. I've certainly gotten more than my money's worth from the rest of it though.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote