Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you do yoga on any kind of regular basis (as you define "regular basis"?)
Nope, never tried it. 8 5.67%
Nope, don't like it. 16 11.35%
Yes, with a video. (And you current favorite, is...?) 102 72.34%
Yes, in live classes. (Tell us what style!) 10 7.09%
Yes, but I do my practice solo (not to a video or in a class.) 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-01, 01:56 AM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Yoga Poll

Since I'm currently in yoga-mode, I thought I'd as how many VFers include yoga as part of their fitness routine. I guess I should have made an option for people who do yoga once every blue moon, but not on any kind of regular basis-- although to me, "a regular basis" could mean anything from 3 times a week, to one weekend a month, or one week after every 6 week Cathe rotation, you know?

If you do both videos and live classes, choose whichever you tend to do more.

As for me, I mostly do power yoga--I'm trying to practice 5 days a week right now. I'm a big fan of Bryan Kest, and am starting to like Baron Baptiste.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 08:12 AM  
Marianne G
VF Supporter

The classes I take are Iyengar yoga, which is great as the teacher really stresses proper alignment. Once in a while I do Yogazone tapes, btw.
Marianne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 08:35 AM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

I love my yoga!!

I do all my yoga workouts using videos. I guess I'm too chicken to go out and find a good yoga class but one of these days I will do it. Right now I try getting in at least 2-3 yoga videos a week, sometimes it's a short yoga video after a cardio or strength work out and sometimes I do a very short cardio workout and then do a long yoga video. Today I did Cathe's CXT Kickbox with Bryan's Intensive Body Sculpting, loved it!!!! Although I didn't like this particular Bryan tape when I first tried it, I'm really starting to enjoy it now and I'm really glad I decided to give it another try.

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 08:39 AM  
Lydia L
VF Supporter

My Yoga

I try to incorporate two stretchy yoga sessions a week... 20-30 minutes to maintain or improve flexibility... sometimes I might include yoga conditioning in the mix or go for the more difficult power yoga tapes for a week or so in between my regular weight training weeks ( so I might do a power yoga week every 6-8 weeks or so)... I love doing power yoga-- but have found that I need traditional strength to shape my body and improve my strength. I've been doing Yoga for the last three years... and have noticed less injuries... better flexibility and an overall well being of body and mind... until PMS hits and it's every man for himself

Favorite tapes:

Living Arts... mostly all of them...

Molly Fox Stretches and Relaxes

Mind and Body with Ali

Baron & Bryan: especially Baron's new ones!
Old 11-26-01, 09:09 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I'm really enjoying yoga. It makes me feel so good, worked out yet mellow. Check with my family they will tell you at this time of year "the Scrooge" needs mellow!
Presently my favorite tapes are LA Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss, AM Yoga and Robert Sherman's Body Wisdom.
Good idea for a poll Renee.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 11:00 AM  
Pam L
VF Supporter

I try to do at least one yoga video a week, mainly to stretch out my sore muscles after a heavy strength rotation. I prefer the Living Arts beginner series. My current favorite is Rodney's Back Care Yoga.
Old 11-26-01, 11:09 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Yoga

I take Iyengar classes. At home I do tapes and practice on my own. My tapes are mostly Living Arts. I also have Crunch Joy of Yoga, Autonomy Cardio Yoga and Baron's Hot Yoga I. I OD'ed on Bryan Kest's voice at his workshop in Vancouver last April, so I had to trade his three tapes and get Automnomy. I keep trading Yoga Mind and Body and then buying it back. I just got the Kripalu DVD and it's my first exposure to that style. I had some Yoga Zone tapes but had to trade them, because they were just not my cup of tea.
Old 11-26-01, 11:20 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

I try to do some type of Yoga 3 times a week.

I keep planning on doing a nightly yoga tape, but, alas, I never seem to get there. I'm just not cut out to do any type of workouts at night.

So most of my yoga is mainly of the stretching variety, done after a workout in the morning. For that reason I stick to the Living Arts tapes- most are short, or easily divided into short portions.

My favorites are all Living Art's: Yoga for Natural Healing (the first 3 sections only), Yoga for Athletes, Yoga for Stress Relief, Gentle Yoga, and Back Care Yoga.

Sometimes I do a long tape on a "rest" day- like the original Yoga Zones.

I don't consider myself a real yoga person. I tried several power yoga tapes and hated them- I just can't jump in and out of poses that quickly. I'm only interested in what I call "restful yoga".

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 11:21 AM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

yes to the last two options

I practice Iyengar style yoga at home every morning and I also attend classes and workshops. I just can't seem to do yoga to a video any more - it annoys me. Sometimes I just watch my yoga videos for entertainment, though.

Lianne
Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 02:40 PM  
Kimberly33

Both class (new) and videos

Hi!

I have just started an Ashtanga class (today will be my 4th class). I LOVE IT!!! (the poor people on the Yoga check-in keep hearing about it). I've been doing my videos still as well. I really like the Yoga Zone and LA Power Yoga for short workouts, but my favorite right now is David Swenson's Short Forms. I have a hard time doing long tapes right now, but I have and enjoy Yoga for Athletes and Yoga for Weight Loss. I have Baron Vols 1 & 2 and Bryan vols. 1-3, but haven't made it past vol. 1 with either. I'm hoping that now that I've been more regular with it, I will do better when I try these tapes again.

Great poll, Renee!

Dawn--you may want to check to see if any of the yoga places around you have free classes in between sessions. That's how I found the place I'm going to. It gives you a chance to go and see what's up and get a feel for if it's right for you!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote