Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-18, 10:01 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

THE FIRM is bizarre and I'm old

So summer is hitting, which means it's time for THE FIRM. I can't even remember why, but for some reason, they're summer workouts, and, yet, it's been years since I've pulled them out. So the other day, I did the FitPrime Time Crunch, not too bad. Today, Tough Tape 2. Having only done newer (pink) or Xpress FIRMS in recent years, the experience of the original FIRM blew me away. IT'S SO FREAKING WEIRD Y'ALL!! And for the first time, I noticed that the credits feature a "writer." All that weird speech is SCRIPTED. I don't know why, but I was freaking out from all the weirdness--the patter, the outfits... And then I kept imagining those women having to memorize lines like "And now the happy couple..."

That all said, I also recall Tough Tape 2 being the easier of the two and it kind of kicked my ass. Not doing the FIRM for years means also not doing step-ups, and, with 20-pounders, I was gasping. So the ladies of Charleston put out a freakish product, but still get the job done. But honestly, after being away so long, it struck me as all new kinds of bizarre even as I realized that I am soooo much older lol.

Donna H
Old 05-29-18, 12:07 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ah yes... the stepford wives from the house of BHB.

although callanetics, kathy smith and gilad were my first forays into vidiotism, i tried the Firm based on the VF hall of fame list/recommendations, and it brought me results. (results you can SEE...)

i sort of accepted that culture/language back then and even now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 05:53 AM  
Carol K

I'm old too and I had no idea the FIRM was a summer workout. It's been my only workout since 1989. As new FIRMs were released, I added them to my routine, but never stopped doing the old ones, so I never had that shock factor. Now I do them all from Volume 1 to the BeMax streaming workouts. But I don't have most of the compilations like Tough Tape 2. Instead I do the workouts they were compiled from.
Old 05-29-18, 07:00 AM  
violingal3

Haha - yeah, it's a trip going back to the old Firms if you haven't done them in a while!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 07:19 AM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
and it brought me results. (results you can SEE...).
Jajajajajajajaja!!!!!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 08:06 AM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

I feel like I could have written this post. I pulled out a Firm for the first time in ages a couple of days ago. Maximum Body Shaping. Definitely at the height of Firm weird! Lots of contract internally at strange times in the warm-up.

Tall box climbs kicked my butt, too.

The Firm was my first ever video workout and primary love for years. I chose to do it because I thought it would be nostalgic and fun. It was more creepy and hard.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 08:34 AM  
Carol K

I love Maximum Body Shaping. I have to use the 8" for the fast tall box climbs now. I still use the 14" for slow leg presses with one dumbbell and a dowel in the other hand.
Old 05-29-18, 09:08 AM  
sbh

It's been a couple of decades since I was a fitness instructor. Then after I quit teaching, I found dvd workouts. I was never interested in The Firm way back then because I thought they were weird. I gravitated towards workouts like P90X, complicated step workouts, and yoga. Now, decades later, I find The Firm to be refreshing, doable, and structurally very sound. Even with dated workout wear (the classics), they are truly timeless and effective. It is amazing how a couple of decades can change your perspective.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 09:30 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes yes yes, the original Firms are from another planet. I really get the feeling Anna B. was a pretty odd duck, but there is no doubt that they are GREAT workouts. I will always be grateful for Anna for putting out such challenging material that was accessible to people of all fitness levels.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 10:19 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I was just going through my Firm workouts this weekend, for the first time in a long time. I was thinking about buying some classics on DVD. I think the older Firm workouts were very good workouts. I spoke to Anna B on the phone, and she was very interested in creating workouts that were coordinated with unique music. I remember watching Anna’s 20 Questions about Fitness, and thinking it was interesting. I am planning to do Firm workouts to shake up my routine.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote