Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-12, 10:50 PM  
Tiny

Sharaz, this looks awesome! You and arizonamom have some fabulous ideas on a home gym. I am loving it! I would love to get into this type of training but I don't have much for upper body strength, not that can be seen anyway. This would take months for me to build up and my patience is not that abundant!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 10:47 AM  
Arizonamom

Mary - If you are working out, then you will build up the strength. But you really need to focus on your technique. When I started to get serious about working out I bought some Jari love dvds and they were great, I even "progressed" to doing 20 push ups at a time! But my form! I listened to the Fit Rebel explain how to do a pushup and I tried it and couldn't even do one! I had to start on my knees with my hands up on my step! What a blow to my ego! I wasn't really paying attention to form and I wasn't going down to the floor! Now my record is 25 Fit Rebel Pushups! So I just ignored Jari and practiced correct push ups during that time. I also bought Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Body Weight Training which helps me learn how to do more body weight moves, get stronger, then able to do some "animal" moves. It is really exciting to not be able to do something, then have a breakthrough. So just add a little body weight exercise to every workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8Yn4LNXdo&feature=plcp

Sharaz - Thanks for all the ideas. You sound more advanced than me. We made our fast rope yesterday. We just need to splice it and hang it up. It looks really cool! Just like in the video! I can't find my link to "Dominic" who wrote an e-book and has videos about climbing ropes. He is in Eastern Europe I think.

You have to check this out: We bought 2inch tie down straps at Home Depot, they're yellow, for under $15. We have them tied to trees outside, each of my kids have their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTwQGEeGZc

We have to clean and seal our floor today!
Arizonamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:16 PM  
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonamom View Post
Mary - If you are working out, then you will build up the strength. But you really need to focus on your technique. When I started to get serious about working out I bought some Jari love dvds and they were great, I even "progressed" to doing 20 push ups at a time! But my form! I listened to the Fit Rebel explain how to do a pushup and I tried it and couldn't even do one! I had to start on my knees with my hands up on my step! What a blow to my ego! I wasn't really paying attention to form and I wasn't going down to the floor! Now my record is 25 Fit Rebel Pushups! So I just ignored Jari and practiced correct push ups during that time. I also bought Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Body Weight Training which helps me learn how to do more body weight moves, get stronger, then able to do some "animal" moves. It is really exciting to not be able to do something, then have a breakthrough. So just add a little body weight exercise to every workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8Yn4LNXdo&feature=plcp

Sharaz - Thanks for all the ideas. You sound more advanced than me. We made our fast rope yesterday. We just need to splice it and hang it up. It looks really cool! Just like in the video! I can't find my link to "Dominic" who wrote an e-book and has videos about climbing ropes. He is in Eastern Europe I think.

You have to check this out: We bought 2inch tie down straps at Home Depot, they're yellow, for under $15. We have them tied to trees outside, each of my kids have their own.

Hi arizonamom, yeah been working out for over 15 years and have always had trouble building up my upper body. My body type is the old century kind where women were painted "soft" but with an athletic tone. That would be me. I am loving all what you are adding to your gym! Thanks for the advice, I will certainly be trying it!

D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Old 04-28-12, 06:11 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:

That's cool. I'm not there yet

I'm advanced for some exercises, pretty much the ones that requires more lower body strength. I'm good with balance too. My upper is not that bad strength wise, but I must improve in order to perform more advanced exercises. When performing the "animal" moves there is were I feel it more. The AC workout will help me, because upper body has is own workout section. I'm still working on my agility too. Like you said is take practice, this exercises are very technical. So I'm taking this new "animal" workouts more as a "training" approach to become better.
Old 04-29-12, 09:35 AM  
Arizonamom

Tiny - It sounds like you are built like me! I have never been strong. I have always been thin, except when I was pregnant. I never have to worry about gaining too much muscle, instead, I focus on ability and I am really excited when I accomplish something or I see myself improving, no matter how small. I started exercising with dvds about 3 years ago, but have always been somewhat active all my life, and they have changed my life. I have way more confidence and I am passing it down to my kids. I just love exercise dvds!

SharazPR - Yes, the beauty of the moves is you can always improve the technical, you can only go so far with the intensity and duration. I'm not good at balance. Steve Cotter has progressions where he balances, then turns his head side to side, then he does it all with his eyes closed!
Old 04-29-12, 10:29 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Arizonamom, I think I am built like you and Tiny I have always been thin (but curvy, if that makes sense), and find it extremely hard to put on muscle and build strength. Even when I went through basic training and was doing push ups every other day, I never got good at them. I just got good enough to get through that part, haha. And that was 13 years ago, when building strength should have been a breeze. Instead, I craved the obstacle course days! And I could crank out the sit-ups like nobody's business I still work at strength, but I try to focus more on the things that make me feel accomplished, like you mentioned. For me, that includes agility work, anything that involves memorizing combinations (step) and anything that involves accuracy. Technicality is my specialty
Old 04-29-12, 12:04 PM  
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
Arizonamom, I think I am built like you and Tiny I have always been thin (but curvy, if that makes sense), and find it extremely hard to put on muscle and build strength. Even when I went through basic training and was doing push ups every other day, I never got good at them. I just got good enough to get through that part, haha. And that was 13 years ago, when building strength should have been a breeze. Instead, I craved the obstacle course days! And I could crank out the sit-ups like nobody's business I still work at strength, but I try to focus more on the things that make me feel accomplished, like you mentioned. For me, that includes agility work, anything that involves memorizing combinations (step) and anything that involves accuracy. Technicality is my specialty
This! Which means I am loving all the work outs you are posting about! Now I have my eyes set on Jay's boot camp and addiction workout. Still considering the Bas one only because it is a cd (not used to working out to that style except for cardio coach).

D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

Old 04-29-12, 12:07 PM  
Tiny

Quote:
Tiny - It sounds like you are built like me! I have never been strong. I have always been thin, except when I was pregnant. I never have to worry about gaining too much muscle, instead, I focus on ability and I am really excited when I accomplish something or I see myself improving, no matter how small. I started exercising with dvds about 3 years ago, but have always been somewhat active all my life, and they have changed my life. I have way more confidence and I am passing it down to my kids. I just love exercise dvds!
Exactly!

D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

Old 04-29-12, 12:19 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Tiny, so glad I can enable...I mean help The thing I like about Bas's set being on CD is that it does require that mind/body connection when he calls out the combos. During my training, my trainer would call out numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6) with each number representing a certain punch, such as right jab, left jab, right hook, left hook, etc. He would call out a sequence of numbers and I would have to throw that combo. It kind of reminds me of the old game Simon, which I dominated, lol. I would have to take in the information (the trainer calling out the numbers/the colored lights lighting up in sequence), process it (translate the number to the correlating punch/remember the order that the lights lit up), and execute (throw the correct combo/repeat the sequence of lights).

At first you start slowly, and you don't always get it right, but as you progress, it becomes more automatic and you don't have to think about it, you have wired yourself to throw a left jab, straight right, left hook when you hear "1,2,3". It is more a sense of accomplishment to me personally than when I am following along with a video, which sort of feels like cheating if you're talking about memorization. The videos are good at creating that muscle memory, though, when teaching yourself to throw a punch correctly while trying to keep your feet, hips, shoulders and arms all engaged. When you're trying to mirror someone else, those visual reminders help with form.

Bas's system uses numbers in the same way. He calls the numbers "commandos" and the first commandos are numbers (1,2,3,4) which represent combos of punches. 1 = left straight, 2= left straight + right straight, etc. The rest of his commandos are words or phrases that are straightforward. Three hooks = throw 3 hooks, starting with left, Liver shot = left hook to the body.

When called out rapidly, audio only cuing can be challenging, which I think might be right up your alley
Old 04-29-12, 01:02 PM  
Arizonamom

I found my link to this guy who has rope exercises for whoever is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc6N5ei1amY&feature=plcp

Tags
animal, bodyweight, greg mihovich, gymnastics, sprawl