Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-01, 08:58 AM  
Diane

changing from AM to PM Exercise

I read the thread with great interest on the opposite-becoming a A.M exercise. I am at my best in the morning, well maybe not 6am--LOL My problem is--I am going back to work in about 3 weeks for IRS-I have to be to work at 6am. Just to be get there I am up at 4:30. I decided to exercise when I get home. I am afraid I may take alot more days of "rest" then I do now. I will be home by 3-so if I just get right to it, I will be done in time to start dinner. If I did get up to exercise before, it would mean 3:30 at the latest. Does anyone get up that early?
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 09:33 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Try the afternoon

I am done with work at 2:30 (have to be here at an ungodly hour in the morning) and always exercise before dinner. (On the days I need to run errands, have an appointment, etc. I exercise around 6:30 p.m.) I have found that I have plenty of time to exercise after work, shower, and start dinner. Plus, I feel MUCH more energetic at that time of the day. I know everyone is different, but those early morning workouts are not kind to my body clock.

You might need to experiment with different times for a few days and see what works for you.

I find exercise to be a stress reliever; and after a long day with 1,000 teenagers - I practically RUN for the workout clothes. Hehe.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 09:41 AM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

As a die-hard morning exerciser, I'd be willing to bet I wouldn't exercise in the morning if I had to be at work at 6 am! YIKES! I start my workout shortly before 6 now. I'd probably do it after work. I don't know that I could take a job that required me to be there at 6 am, I'm much too dependant on my morning workouts.
Barbara p
Barbara P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 09:49 AM  
Isalay
VF Supporter

I workout in the early evening and find it takes real dedication and planning to insure I get in my workouts. If you're the spontaneous type, it might be difficult because "life" will get in the way - EASILY. I'm not the spontaneous type, so planning my life to fit in my workouts is very natural and comforting.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-01, 10:02 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Diane,

I think that like with everything, this change will definitely take some adjustment. I just finished doing CTX All Step this morning. I started at 5:45 a.m.! A year ago, actually - TWO WEEKS ago, I would have laughed if you suggested I do this.

Working out after work certainly does take some dedication, but I did it for 10 years. In the last 5 years I was averaging 5-6 workouts a week and I have a really busy social calendar as well.

The thing that worked for me was changing into my workout clothes as soon as I got home and just doing it. My routine was to start my workout between 4:00 & 4:30. By the time I finished and took a shower, it was time to make dinner. That did leave me with an abbreviated evening, but I didn't really mind. Like Suzanne, I used my afternoon workouts as a stress reliever and like Isalay, I found this routine comforting.

I think the hardest thing about changing your workout time is the fear that you will lose some of your hard-earned gains. Don't worry, you won't. I think your body really needs these types of wake up calls and you'll actually benefit from the change.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll acclimate more quickly than you think.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 10:16 AM  
Daphne M

Do some pre-planning

If you've successfully managed to be a morning exerciser for as long as you have, you have the dedication and the motivation to switch to afternoons. The big difference for you will be that there will be competing demands on your after-work time -- plus you have all day to talk yourself out of exercise.

So my only piece of advice is to map out RIGHT NOW what your fallback plan will be for the days when you have scheduling conflicts. And maybe set up in advance a schedule for your workout days/rest days so that you can't talk yourself out of exercising -- it's on the schedule, so it's not a choice, it's an appointment.

I just read an article in Ladies Home Journal -- about dieting/fitness -- that really struck a chord with me. The writer said that most of us think that the people who stick to their diets and their workout schedules do so because they have incredible WILLPOWER. And when we don't stick to our diet/fitness plans, we beat ourselves up for not having that kind of willpower. We punish ourselves and feel ashamed for being willpower-deficient. The truth is, the author said, those who were successful DIDN'T have greater willpower. They just took the time to map out coping strategies and plans for different situations that arise in your daily life that create difficulties in keeping to your plans.

Anyway ... it was a "lightbulb" moment for me. Might be a "no-duh" moment for others.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 11:48 AM  
Elizabeth Stein
VF Supporter

I really do need to get in a P.M. habit.

I've always done best with a morning exercuse regiment. But because the person who lives downstairs can't cope with me working out before 8:30, and because my next semester class schedule (and, when I start work, my work schedule) won't permit me to work out that late in the morning, I need to get in the habit of doing it when I get home.

Here is the problem: When I get home I either (a) have the munchies, and immediately reach for snacks and sit down, or (b) have already had dinner, and it's late and I'm kinda slow and lazy. ('Course, if it's late enough, then again my neighbor can't cope and I'm out of luck.) (a) is the more usual situation. I've got to make good use of that after-school/work time, and I seem to have a real problem with that.

Has anyone else dealt with this strange inversion (successfully)?
Elizabeth Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 01:20 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Like Suzanne, working out after work is a great stress reliever for me. Even on the rare occasions when I have done my workout in the morning, by the time afternoon rolls around I feel like I need to work out again.

The things that work for me are:
1) Commit to the idea, no excuses, I WILL workout when I get home even if I feel tired. (I've often found that on the days I feel run down after work, working out perks me up and improves my evening)
2) I eat a snack in the afternoon around 3-4PM (I get off work at 5PM). I find that if I don't then I want to eat dinner immediately when I get home. The snack gets me through until dinner and gives me enough energy for my workout.
3) I change into my workout clothes right when I get home.
4) I trained my husband that this was my workout time and he should plan accordingly

I think working out in the evening would be more difficult if I had children, but since I don't it works for me. Good Luck.
Old 12-12-01, 03:15 PM  
Diane

great advice

WOW thanks for all the wonderful advice. I will try all of them I am sure!! I sleep in my workout clothes normally, but I can't wear them to work--LOL---I will immediately change when I get home though. My kids and hubby are great at letting me exercise. But me being the taxi cab for my young teenagers is what worries me, if they have to be picked up from band practice, games ect, that is me. I have been exercising now for over 15 years with only short lapses of no exercise (which immediatley led to weight gain) so I know I can do this. I just have to adjust. Again thanks for all the wonderful advice.
Diane
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 03:47 PM  
firm_newbie

Re: I really do need to get in a P.M. habit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth Stein
I've always done best with a morning exercuse regiment. But because the person who lives downstairs can't cope with me working out before 8:30, and because my next semester class schedule (and, when I start work, my work schedule) won't permit me to work out that late in the morning, I need to get in the habit of doing it when I get home.

Here is the problem: When I get home I either (a) have the munchies, and immediately reach for snacks and sit down, or (b) have already had dinner, and it's late and I'm kinda slow and lazy. ('Course, if it's late enough, then again my neighbor can't cope and I'm out of luck.) (a) is the more usual situation. I've got to make good use of that after-school/work time, and I seem to have a real problem with that.

Has anyone else dealt with this strange inversion (successfully)?
Hi Elizabeth-I face the same dilemna. I work during the day and attend school at night.

I usually have a snack around 3 p.m. so that I'm not hungry when I get home.

I usually eat dinner when I get off work and then put my workout clothes on and get started. I know that everyone cannot do this right after eating, but it works for me.

When I get out of class at 9 p.m. I go home and just get started. I dread working out that late, but I know I have to. It took me a good 3 weeks to make this a habit, but eventually it becomes easier. There are days I really dread coming home knowing I have a workout ahead of me, but I just do it. I always feel great afterwards. Also working out gives me the energy to work and go to school.

When I'm exercsing, I do not answer the phone and make myself unavailable for one hour. So far this has been working. HTH
firm_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote