Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-04, 03:07 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

I haven't purchased a bathing suit for years--of course, I haven't worn one for years, either (it's a lifestyle thing ).

But I do find it somewhat motivating know that I'll be recording the workout in my journal. It's the getting credit plus being accountable that works for me there.
Old 03-05-04, 03:18 PM  
DJ-H
VF Supporter

Little compliments of any kind really motivate me to keep trying to be the person I want to be. I received some very nice compliments this week - more about my personality - but it's a reminder to me of all the things I want to reflect - including a healthly, in-shape body.

DJ
DJ-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 03:45 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

Here's what worked for me.

This is probably quite impractical for many, but in order to motivate myself to workout and lose weight postpartum I only bought 2 new pairs of pants. One was a dressy pair and one was a pair of jeans. My reasoning was that I had over 50 (yes, over 50 ) pairs of pants in my previous size and I was not going to waste pants that I already loved.

I realize this would not work for everyone for so many different reasons, but I only gained 24 lbs and only had 15 to lose after delivery, so it wasn't an unrealistic goal. And it did take about 20 months to get there with two surgeries and some medical problems, but it did work. Meanwhile, I did have dresses and other clothes, too...Yoga pants, shorts, etc.

Anyway, it is basically the same as the no elastic. Fitted pants will make you realize when it has got to stop.

My strategy now includes workouts for fitness $$, workout log and goal-setting. Now instead of losing weight (reached that goal), it is in maintaining weight and building strength.

Karen
Rhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 05:54 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

this will sound odd but ...

... new workout wear and new underwear seem to motivate me. Couldn't tell you why, though.

Also, I've been wearing low-rise jeans the last few months, and I find not having a waistband there to push against actually makes me much more conscious of my stomach. I stand up straighter and keep it sucked in, and it also makes me think "Hmm, my midsection could definitely use a little more work!"

Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 06:03 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I think I may have the odd thing beat!

When I need motivation I quickly touch my shoulders. See, after all my hard work they are hard and firm and have a great curve to them. I can also feel the faintest indentation from the shoulder to the bicep. I've never had such good muscle tone. This motivates me to keep up with all my hard work.

Also, nothing like the thought of bathing suit weather to instill a little motivation in me. I just bought two bikinis for a Hawaii trip in June and I want to look my best as I strut down the beach (wearing a sarong, of course ).

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote