Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-04, 03:32 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Just being a contrarian here

But you folks have me shaking my head in amazement. However, I must admit, I am so very much a day person it's not surprising. I've lived with an owl (as in night person) for >20 years now, so I know from observation about that second wind late in the evening.

It's so alien to me, though. About 9pm I start winding down, actually I can't conceive of exercising after dinner! But my husband's favorite time to exercise is from around twilight to when I consider "getting ready for bed time". Of course, he gets up when I'm well into my day, so it evens out. And when I get out of bed, I'm AWAKE!! No hour of fumbling around to wake up. Of course, I'm not in the 4:30 am exerciser camp either.

Want to hear how badly I hate ever having to work night shifts? I didn't think so. They are evil to me, but there are others who won't do anything else. I suppose it's because I've had to work at integrating these circadian clock differences into my married and work life that I find it fascinating. We are so hard-wired into so many of our preferences, it seems.

After the morning/night person gene, I wonder when they'll isolate the dancy vs. athletic gene.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-04, 07:21 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

i believe i'm hardwired to exercise in the p.m. i have never been able to maintain a morning exercise routine, and when I do exercise early, I typically feel tired for the rest of the day. it makes me anxious to think i have to "get up early to work out".

ideally, i would workout in the very late morning/early afternoon - but that's the work day. i eat when i get home, take care of things around the house, digest, then i'm ready to work out.

i say - whatever works. i have no problem sleeping afterwards - and in the case of yoga - it helps me sleep. fortunately my dh and my uncle, who now lives with us, are also late nighters - though not, necessarily, exercisers.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-04, 09:05 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I could meet you guys....

As I get up in the morning for an early workout!!! (3:00 a.m!) I see I can run into some of you just finishing.

Hmmmmmm..... Kinda like my kids going to bed about the time I'm getting up. :rolleyes:

There is a method to my madness though. I tend to think of myself NOT as a morning person, but for many events, I have to get up at the 3:00 a.m. mark..... so, I figure it's better to be trained to get up and be able to function at that hour, then drag myself to the equipment (usually bike) and attempt to do it!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 11:40 AM  
Vispateresa

Thank you all for your replies. It's nice to see I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane C
Letterman is usally on when I finish - but sometimes Conan.
Jane, can I ask you what time is Letterman on TV? And, most of all, WHO is David Letterman? OK, only joking, I guess he's a comedian, isn't he?
Vispateresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 12:30 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

I started working out religiously from 9-10:00 pm. My daughter goes to bed at 8-8:30 so if I wait until later then I don't have that pressure to rush her through things thinking "C'mon! I still need to work out!" And I was never able to get up and do it in the AM. So, I just put it on hold until 9 and do it then.

This is an oddity though - I like to work out to videos that have dark windows in the background so it seems like the whole workout is happening at night.

The only bummer is that drinking a lot of water at 9:30 at night means for two or three trips to the bathroom later on!
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 02:15 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

Re: Who works out VERY late in the evening?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vispateresa
Does anybody work out that late? Or am I a white fly? Thanks!
I work out that late and sometimes later, all the time. I'm definitely a night person and don't know how anybody could be exercising first thing in the morning! First thing in the morning, I don't even know my own name! (I'm totally like Abbe; that second wind kicks in about 11 pm and I'm ready for anything.)

I've even occasionally worked out first and then showered and eaten my dinner with David Letterman.

Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 06:14 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

This is all so interesting to me as

I am totally a night person trying to pass as a morning person. With four kids under age 9 and working at home in whatever time I can find, it just got to the point where if I didn't get it in in the a.m, it just wasn't going to get done. But trying to make this transition still feels unnatural and I have to go with the natural urge to go to bed; if I don't, I'll have that second wind and be up until 3 a.m. no problem. And then I won't be able to get up to work out (at 6). I imagine when my kids are older and I have my own schedule more or less, I will gravitate toward later workouts.

Donna K
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 06:23 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vispateresa
Thank you all for your replies. It's nice to see I'm not alone.

Jane, can I ask you what time is Letterman on TV? And, most of all, WHO is David Letterman? OK, only joking, I guess he's a comedian, isn't he?
sorry for the inside cultural reference, Vispateresa. David Letterman is a "late night talk show host" - he comes on between 11:30 p.m. and 12:30 am. Conan O'Brien is a late late night talk show host - comes on from 12:30-1:30 a.m.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 06:28 PM  
joanna33

i can do either am or pm...but i find i put WAY more effort in the pm...i am so sleepy and stiff in the am. i may be getting a new part time job working noon till 1030 pm.....blast out of work to work out..that sounds great....i am currently working 7a to 7p and am just too tired as i got up at 5 am to get ready for work. i never workout on the days that i work but i hope that will change...and i will be there will all the other vfr's who are exercising with letterman. icant fathom getting up at 4 am to workout like alot of you guys do...that is committment!!