Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-02, 02:38 PM  
Roxanna425

Thumbs up I did my first road ride!

Last Saturday. I woke up and it was all frosted over outside and I thought about quitting but I didn't. My housemate and I got the bikes all loaded up, our cold weather gear on and we went.

It was 35 miles of really hilly terrain. I had been corresponding with Ti goddess about the difference between road riding and Spinning and I kept thinking about her advice. It was SO MUCH HARDER! OMG! There was wind for one. and it was cooold wind. Second I have to learn to gear up and climb out of the seat gracefully.

I fell clippied in for the first time too. It's my first fall. I thought since I was an "expert" at clipping in and out at the club i would not fall but another rider stopped abruptly at an interseciton at the top of a hill. I could not get my feet out in time so I fell. I have road rash on the palm of my hand and a chain ring bruise on my calf. I am pshyched!

It was very hard. Had I not had good and supportive ridign partners I could never have done it and I am still sore in my legs but I can't wait to get out again!

I celebrated by getting the ride t-shirt and a new pair or Diadora clipless shoes. Watch out!

"Everything is futile but you must do it anyway, because effort is full victory." --Gandhi
Roxanna425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-02, 02:49 PM  
Daphne M

You are a trailblazer

Thanks for sharing your novice road ride report. Roxana. I have never done one either, but I hope to do one this spring/summer and I'll keep your good experience in mind. (Leaving myself some wiggle room just in case I can't do it due to overprotective husband.)

I spent some time at a local bike shop this weekend and the owner said that when my cycling shoes come in, he will not even let me out of the shop until I've sat on the trainer in his shop and clicked in and out of the pedals at least 50 times. I had never thought about falling off the bike because of getting stuck on the pedals before that, but now I know what you are talking about. Your road rash and chain mark are badges of honor!

So what's next? Tour de France?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-02, 03:07 PM  
Roxanna425

it's pretty common

I have never spoken to someone that rides often and has not fallen due to the clipless pedals. You ride a bike, you will fall. Find out how to do it safely, wear a helmet and learn and obey all the rules of of the road in order to maximize your own safety. I also have a roomate that cycles with me and when we were starting out we joined a local club. Motorists see groups of us better than idividuals. The cleats provide so much more power and a feeling of being one with the bike that you just cannot do without them once you are used to the benefits.

I take 3 Spinning classes a week and have been doing so for over a year. I have always worn clipless and I still fell. It was mostly because it was a sudden stop and I just didn't have time. I wrenched my knee a little too trying to get out of the cleats in a hurry. They are battle scars however and I didn't really hurt myself and I am kind of feeling proud.

My SO is VERY overprotective. I often have to remind him that he "ain't my dad". that I am a big girl and that we all have to take risks. He is so loving and not being a really active person cannot understand why I want to get out there in traffic. God forbid I should want to take up rock climbing! Hehe.

Next is a 50 miler then I have a century. That was my goal. Not a metric either a regular century.

Ride on!

"Everything is futile but you must do it anyway, because effort is full victory." --Gandhi
Old 02-26-02, 03:48 PM  
Aline

well I've fallen 3 times

due to klutziness or inattention but I would not blame my pedals... what kind do you have? do you know they can adjust the tension? it shouldn't be so hard to clip out that you wrench your knee on a sudden stop, maybe the shop can loosen them a bit? Mine are very easy to get out of (speedplays).

I agree with you about groups and traffic, we just get more respect from cars when in a group than alone. During rush hour I still stick to the bike paths whenever possible rather than brave traffic... on weekends I'm a little more daring. I try to go on as many group rides as possible because I want to practice being comfortable in a paceline, there's a regular Sunday ride that is very good for that, we have a patient "leader"...

Good job on your hilly 33 miler! and good luck on the future 50 and 100, you'll do fine. If they are less hilly they might not even be as hard as the 33, who knows? (hills make a HUGE difference).

We don't have any local bicycle "events" like that over here, I wish we did. There are races but they are only for hard-core racers, which I'm not (and am too intimidated to contemplate ever being, never mind being too old to be competitive anyway). I get to hear about their exploits every Monday night in spinning class I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind: could I do that? Nawwww...

There's a few centuries around here in late summer / early fall but none are exactly close by. People talk about the Seagull Century a lot - it's very crowded, hearing people talk, for some that's a good thing, for others that's a bad thing, for me, I'm not sure!
The only one I've done (Potomac Pedaler's) wasn't crowded at all and ended up being just a long ride with 2 guys I'd never met before. Maybe crowded is good?
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-02, 04:16 PM  
Isalay
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Way to go Roxanna!

Congratulations Girl! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Can't wait to hear about the 50 miler next!
Old 02-26-02, 04:21 PM  
Roxanna425

inattention really

more so than the pedals. I have SPD's. I should have known that rider was going to stop but it was QUITE a hill and I wasn't paying attention. If I was I could have stopped.

Old 02-26-02, 05:11 PM  
Janet B
VF Supporter

Yeah Roxanna!

Thanks for your report!

Sorry about the fall - glad it wasn't more serious than a couple of bruises!

I haven't got the clipless pedals yet on my end of the bike! Alan has them up front but decided he'd better get used to them first rather than both of us switching at once! I love my biking shoes though which I've had as long as we've had the bike - over 16 year! and although they're getting to be pretty worn I just can't think of replacing them!

Can't wait to read your next report!
Old 02-26-02, 06:36 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Congratulations Roxanna

Sounds like a tough ride with all those hills. Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Can't wait to read your 50 mile ride and century reports.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-02, 06:42 PM  
Tuvak

Roxanna,
I loved hearing about your ride.
I would have to agree if you ride with clipless pedals you will fall. I have ridden long distances for over 5 years now. My first year I fell quiet often. Now I don't fall anymore.
Before you know it you will consider a 35 mile bike ride wimpy. One summer when I was doing major riding. Riding like well over 200 miles a week I sorta became a bike snob and would say anything under 30 miles wasn't worth my time. Got over that little phase of my life quickly.

Can't wait till I can take my wheels for a spin her in the midwest. 40 mile rides are my absolute favorite distance. Long enough to feel like you worked out but short enough that you still have your whole day left ahead of you.
Tuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-02, 06:53 PM  
Roxanna425

Wink bike snob

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuvak
Roxanna,
I loved hearing about your ride.
I would have to agree if you ride with clipless pedals you will fall. I have ridden long distances for over 5 years now. My first year I fell quiet often. Now I don't fall anymore.
Before you know it you will consider a 35 mile bike ride wimpy. One summer when I was doing major riding. Riding like well over 200 miles a week I sorta became a bike snob and would say anything under 30 miles wasn't worth my time. Got over that little phase of my life quickly.

Can't wait till I can take my wheels for a spin her in the midwest. 40 mile rides are my absolute favorite distance. Long enough to feel like you worked out but short enough that you still have your whole day left ahead of you.
Hehe I still have a long way to go. I liked the distance but some of the hills were so STEEP. I had to practice fixing my eye on a spot there it seemed like was the apex and go for that spot despite the pain in my legs. Once I almost gave up and walked. To get really snobby (just kidding) first I need a real road bike, I am still using my hybrid until I have a few more miles under my belt and more experience shifting.

It was sunny but cold and we all were happy to get out in the sunshine. You know how it is that first bike ride day!