Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-19, 07:52 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Race director emailed and didn't say it was closed. Guess I really need to sign up (today) and commit mentally to knowing I can do it (and that my knee will be fine).
This is the timed race? The beauty of a timed race is you go and do what you can. I went to my first hoping for 21 miles and got 28 miles. The key is getting in. These are popular events. The one I've done fills every year. Your long runs are already longer than mine had been when I did the Icebox in 2017. You're younger than I am. Your training plan is sound;I fly by the seat of my pants with no plan. You gotta pay to play!

On another note... Trifecta emailed the Kickstart classes will not be visible anymore on her youtube channel. She sent links that I guess will work going forward, but she is now starting subscription based classes like everyone else. I don't know if she'll keep producing free content. I guess time will tell. I was planning the 5 classes this Mon-Fri, and assuming my links work, I will do them as planned.

Edit to add my original link worked. I really liked the Trifecta Kickstart total body class. Well thought out and great instruction.

Sandy O
Old 09-17-19, 07:05 AM  
Vantreesta

Did you get registered, Buff?

Yesterday morning I washed my car before I lost shade, which meant it was too hot and sunny to run after that. I made myself run 2 miles last night though (was still 79 degrees and 74% humidity, ugh!) and then stretched after I took care of the dogs (Cyric walk, Chianna out to do her business). The run felt good despite the weather. I hadn't run since last Tuesday! Trying to get back on track.

Today I plan to put up my Halloween village finally! Ironic that I'll be turning on the AC to do it. I've been wanting to put it up but keep feeling like I haven't done my chores enough but today I don't care! This way I can enjoy it as I move around the house cleaning. That's my story.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 03:55 PM  
buffmama

Sunday's run felt fast, today's felt a little slow. Best news, my knee feels OK at the moment and that slower run is the reason. Makes me think it's possible to get the 6 hour in and 1/2 marathon 3 weeks later. Goal was to sign up today, tomorrow is more likely at this point.

Sandy - Your "you have to pay to play" made me LOL. Glad you liked Trifecta I'm thinking that should be on tap for this week. Can't help thinking this glute challenge is doing good things for me and my glutes. Thanks for the push to do it. Maybe I also need to repeat it....Keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Vannie - Glad you got out to run yesterday. Keep it up.

ETA: Will be fangirling later at a lecture by someone who ran Badwater - looking forward to hearing about it.
Old 09-17-19, 11:44 PM  
Vantreesta

I started with 10 minutes on the bike this morning. Thanks to the recent Karen Voight thread, I pulled out Slim Physique and did the cardio and abs plus the yoga stretch. I forgot how great this stretch is! This was a good way to spend part of the morning even though I goofed on the DVD and was supposed to do weights today. Oh well, at least I worked out!

I listed out Cassey's 30 days and watched enough of each day to write a brief description so I can do the exercises on my own. I want a nicer butt too!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 07:58 AM  
buffmama

Reading today's email Trifecta's Kickstart will only be up for another week. I better get right on that. $18 a month annually, or $27 a month. Hopefully she continues to put out youtube videos.
Old 09-18-19, 10:01 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I redid eight of the glute classes that were harder or I felt my form was off the first go round. I did them over 6 days since 4 were 10 minutes and 4 were 5 minutes, so that gave me 10 minutes per day of glute redo. I really can't say they were much easier the second time around. I was worried about doubling up the last two days, but I picked classes that worked different parts of the glute and only one of the two classes those days were 100 done on each side. I will say the classes really woke up my glutes each day, and walking down the stairs after the classes was much easier. Since we stopped having gluten, cheese, and peanut butter about the same time the challenge started, I can't say what exactly contributed, but my butt and thighs are noticeably thinner. My weight is actually a bit below summer weight, so I'm not even eligible to donate blood.

Sandy O
This was posted 9/8/19. I weighed yesterday, and I'm down another two pounds. The dietary changes and the Cassey Challenge are the main differences from previous months. Also I'm really focused on form in my rehab and adding exercises as more things hurt. These exercises are done everyday, so they may contribute.

Year in review:
January Iron Core Way Vol 1&2, Iron Core Warrior 1&2, Iron Core Bootcamp
February four FIF KB workouts
May Rushfit
July Ruthless
August Combat KB Systems, Lauren B KB Vol 1&2, AOS Newport, Atletica 1
Last week Aug, beginning Sept S90
Cassey Challenge Aug, repeat Sept.
Through the year yoga, pilates, Barlates, and running.

The last few weeks people have asked if I workout/lift weights because I'm ripped/have big guns... I must have lost fat and not muscle, so now the muscles are more evident?

My takeaway is what I'm doing is working, but I can stand to eat a bit more.

Sandy O
Old 09-18-19, 10:24 AM  
SandyO

My facebook message to Ali:
I want to do the 50k, but I still don't know if I'll physically be able to. Last year I did 32 miles with my butt/hammy killing me, but that's a familiar pain. This hip issue is a mystery to me. Worst case I can use my poles the whole way and use all 16 hours to finish, but I'd like not to use poles and finish in 8-10 hours. If I don't sign up for the 50k, I think I'll regret it, but if I do, I could damage myself and have to take months off to heal. I need a magic ball to see the future.

Her reply:
Lol
Just do that half gosh darn it

Sandy O
Old 09-19-19, 10:34 AM  
buffmama

edited
Old 09-19-19, 10:36 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I can stand to eat a bit more.

Sandy O
he mama in me needs to say make sure you fuel your runs. Rice and potates always work. I eat multiple sweet potatoes daily. Cooked at 450 until I smell them (1.5 hours minimum) they carmelized and taste like creme brulee.

As for the distance, if you decide to take on the longer distance be prepared to bail if necessary. If finishing is everything, focus on the shorter distance. Any way to adjust the goal so it sits better with you? PR? Age group award? A fun goal that isn't really performance based? Talk to more people?

I'm dragging my feet signing up, although I will. Definitely wish I had more time to train. Something to know for next time. This doesn't seem like it will sell out and the 1/2 I might wait for sign up for, or do walk up the day of, and get to see how the weather will be. Volunteering Sun at a relay that is supposed to have the best after party. Mostly the clubs run since you need a lot of people per team as it's a point to point. I'll be the chatty one working the party.
Old 09-19-19, 03:41 PM  
SandyO

If I did the 50k, I would make sure I finished, and that's part of the problem. My knees have hurt on the stairs all year long. They don't hurt running or weight lifting, but I want them not to hurt at all. Coming in to this year, I planned to do Eau Claire and no more races. Only run as far and as often as I want, but when I got a PR, it made me want to continue until I get back in the same grind. I have to run and add more miles because I signed up for a long race. Then I start dreading running... I finish out the year saying next year I'll be better and only do 5k-10k. So I think what if I really do follow through on no more looooong runs? Then I better do another 50k this year... Ali wants to go hiking where we want on Sat of race weekend and do our own distances on the Sunday (Ali 10k me half marathon). It's the healthiest choice and one that makes this a nice mother/daughter weekend.

The biggest reason for doing the 50k is that I would like to see more of the Superior Hiking Trail, and this would be a way for it to be even better marked and supported by aid stations. She and I can hike parts while the 100k and 50k are going on and cheer for people.

4 days of the pilates Kickstart done. All good classes, but the arm one as usual is my least favorite.

Sandy O