Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you do yoga on any kind of regular basis (as you define "regular basis"?)
Nope, never tried it. 8 5.67%
Nope, don't like it. 16 11.35%
Yes, with a video. (And you current favorite, is...?) 102 72.34%
Yes, in live classes. (Tell us what style!) 10 7.09%
Yes, but I do my practice solo (not to a video or in a class.) 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-01, 06:44 PM  
slaalaa227
VF Supporter

Lightbulb I'm all about Yoga these days

As I think I've already posted, I've recently started trying to do Yoga once a day. Currently my favorite is David Swenson's short forms: I know I can at least do 15 minutes and it really does do me some good. I'm alternating all three of those with Crunch's Fat Burning Yoga- I like the music and it's very soothing.
Did I mention I'm a student? I think they should make it mandatory for this time of year. I've got two papers to write (groundbreaking research too, not just any old thing), and I TA for a class who loves to take up my time. And I'm always out of money by December....but you see, the Yoga really helps me deal with that instead of getting a headache (which is what usually happens!)
Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, just trying to say if Yoga can help me TODAY it can do anything! I Love it!
Okay, back to scholarly behavior....Sarah
slaalaa227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 06:57 PM  
Karen N
VF Supporter

I probably do more with videos, but that's only because I can't afford live class more often.

Fav current video: depends on my mood - Yoga Mind and Body if I'm feeling tranquil, and maybe Kest 1 if more in power mode.

Live class: they call it vinyasa flow, but the teacher trained at White Lotus, so sort of like a more interesting version of that Total Yoga video with Tracey and Ganga. One of the other teachers is always bringing in Kundalini moves. Yikes! You want DOMS in your hamstrings, you do 5 minutes of her "har har har-ay" move.
Old 11-26-01, 07:56 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Har Har Har Ay??

Karen, do explain!

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 09:43 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

My favorite

is Rodney Yee--I love all his tapes except Yoga for Intermediates which is more fun to watch than it is to do.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-01, 09:57 PM  
Isalay
VF Supporter

Although I don't do yoga that often, I really like Living Arts' Yoga for Weight Loss
Old 11-26-01, 10:12 PM  
Catherine

Yoga Tape Favorites

My all-time faves would have to be Bryan Kest's Power Yoga series, Yoga Mind and Body, and almost anything with Rodney Yee. Lately, though, I have been really stressed and more tired than usual and I find myself reaching for Yoga Zone tapes - they are not as difficult but are very relaxing.
Old 11-27-01, 07:07 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I've been trying to do yoga videos 3 times a week. My current favorites are Yoga Mind & Body, Crunch Fat Burning Yoga, and Flow Yoga Gentle.

I've tried various local classes: Iyengar, Astanga, but haven't fouund one yet that I like more than my videos.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:04 AM  
KrisA
VF Supporter

Love it, would do it all the time

If I could practice yoga every day for an hour or two, I'd do it. As it is now, I'm able to practice four or five times per week. I take a weekly power yoga class (sometimes can fit in a second class), but generally do most of my yoga to videos or on my own. I prefer vinyasa/power/ashtanga yoga, and tend to gravitate towards Baron Baptiste and David Swenson. I do have Bryan Kest's three original power yoga videos and do them sometimes. I recently acquired Mark Blanchard's The Power Within video (thanks, Vivian), but haven't had 90 straight minutes to tackle it yet. I probably have as many yoga videos as I have other videos--Yoga Zone, Living Arts, and others--but like Baron, David and Bryan the best. I've been practicing yoga for about 5 years.
Old 11-29-01, 02:35 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I started practicing yoga recently and I love it!

My goal is to practice 3-4 times per week, with no more than two days between sessions. Right now, I most often do the Yoga Zone beginner videos with Alan Finger, Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss, Crunch Fat-Burning Yoga, AM yoga, or PM yoga. Sometimes I practice in the morning after a cardio or strength workout, and at other times I practice in the evening - before dinner, or just before bedtime.

I would like to start practicing on my own as well as with videos. I have some books that offer suggestions on designing your own practice. This would allow me to concentrate on the poses I need most. When I've practiced regularly for a few weeks, I think I'll be comfortable enough with yoga to do this.

I'd also like to take classes, but there are very few options in my area, and none are compatible with my schedule . Thank goodness for videos !

Colleen
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-01, 02:49 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Right now I take class once a week,

...otherwise I do at least 10 min. a day. Usually that 10 min. is more like 20 min.- 1 hr.

Current favorites? Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes and Yoga Journal's Practice for Strength, more recently I've been intrigued by David Swenson's Short Forms and White/Rich Flow Yoga -- and of course the ever-popular Schiffmann/MacGraw Yoga for Mind & Body.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote