Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-13, 07:47 AM  
dnna

I bought a vhs to dv converter on QVC, and converted all the vhs home videos of my son to dvd-r. I also have a lot of little tapes from the original camcorder, I can't use that machine to convert and my brother found someone to do it for -a minimum of 300 dollars so I couldn't afford it .
But! the darn thing would not convert one vhs workout tape. I think they had some kind of protection built it- I know for sure the original Firms were protected and if you tried to make a copy it did not work. I was really disappointed that it didn't work on commercial tapes -
I love love love my old vhs tapes, and esp. wanted Kari/Linda Evans on dvd-that A New You is so pretty-shot in the dep woods, great music, great easy day 40 minute walk type workout'
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 07:51 AM  
sherry7899

Donna-

As far as transferring tapes from a camcorder, there is a case you can buy to put around the camcorder tape so it ends up being the size of a VHS tape, and it can be inserted into the dvd/vhs machine. Then you can transfer it to dvd-r. We did that with hours of film of our son.

I'll ask my DH where he found the case and post later.

I know the Linda Evans/Kari one is copy protected from personal experience I found three copies of that on vhs and gave them away to VF'ers....now I wish I'd kept one for myself. I loved the scenery in that workout.

Some commercial tapes will work-it depends on which company made them in the first place.

Sherry

ETA: It is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-290060-...c+tape+adapter

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 08:35 AM  
dnna

thank you Sherry so much. i wonder if my son will ever watch those dvds that we took- hours of dragging a huge camcorder, all the time spent converting etc.
I wish a had a real dvd of A New You, it is wonderful .
thanks
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 09:28 AM  
sherry7899

You're very welcome! I hope you can make it work so you can transfer it all.

Our son (he is 13) surprised us by really enjoying watching videos of when he was little while we were transferring the camcorder videos to dvd-r. He kept saying "my voice was so high back then!" It was really fun to watch them with him.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 10:59 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

My husband has transferred workouts from VHS to DVD for a ton of people on this forum (he's amazed at the obsessed video fitness underworld that exists). Maybe some of them will pipe in with their experience.
Old 03-26-13, 11:01 AM  
Irisg1

Back when I was obsessed with Tae-Bo, I transferred all of the Live tapes to DVD
Old 03-26-13, 11:01 AM  
Snuckles

Yes, I believe it was Shelia's hubby who transfer my beloved Tae Bo Live Advanced VHS workouts to DVD. I'd use him again in a heartbeat!
Old 03-26-13, 12:05 PM  
horsemom2

Sadly I had quite a few mentioned above uploaded to my youtube channel for a few months but I deleted most of the them to avoid any potential copyright disputes. They could have been downloaded and burned to dvdr while they were still available.

I didn't even burn dvdrs for myself of the captured files!
It just seems like such a waste to have workout vhs which are no longer available to buy being restricted by outdated copyright laws. Most the time, it is impossible to even contact the copyright owners for permission.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 02:15 PM  
hpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
Back when I was obsessed with Tae-Bo, I transferred all of the Live tapes to DVD
I did the same thing!
I google "vhs to dvd conversion" and just picked one service to send them the tape.
They did have me signed a "copy right" sort of document saying I's only use the DVD for personal use.
hpotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7 day solution, convert vhs, denise austin, of steel