Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-10, 06:45 AM  
Whimzee

KCM's LIFT DVD

For those of you who have Kelly's newest L.I.F.T. workout, do you like it? What level would you say it is?
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 07:28 AM  
Vee

Here is a thread where LIFT was discussed.

I think it is advanced. It doesn't leave you feeling completely wiped out, but is definitely tough while executing.

It can be less challenging if you reduce the range of motion (Kelly squats low) or lift lighter weights.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 11:06 AM  
Whimzee

Thanks Vee! Did a search on this before I posted but couldn't find any info with the way I went about it.
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 12:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Love it! It is unique and fills a place in my collection.

The LIFT program is advanced because you are doing more ballistic moves. There moves are good for all over fitness. Kind of the precursor (at least here in the US) to kettlebells.

The other workout, sorry forgot the name. Can be either int or advance depending on what weight you choose. I like it for those days I don't want to work out. It doesn't take tons of concentration, so you can listen or watch something else while you do it. You constantly keep moving but it's not complex.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 03:15 PM  
evenstar

I like KCM's PowerSculpt, although I'm not entirely convinced it is safe, as you swing the weights a lot away from the body and it moves quite fast. It is fun though, and no dread factor.

It's fast and actually kind of fun, although again, I'm a bit concerned about safety as it moves fast and compound moves can be dangerous when you lose your balance. I like the curtsy lunges (so easy) and renegades. I've only done it a couple of times and I kept the weights light, no more than 15lb DBs. It really isn't traditional weight lifting at all. It's quite a unique workout. There's a lot of swinging of the dumbbells, using them almost as ballast to make your body have to react to control the movement rather than as dumbbells. Lots of incidental abs emphasis. Do I feel like I really build some strength woth this workout? Absolutely not.

I don't really consider this an advanced workout, it seems pretty easy to me. Maybe I'll feel differently when I up the weights to what I would normally do- I keep the weights light the first couple of times I try one.
evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 06:34 PM  
Vee

I agree that if you typically lift heavy, Powersculpt doesn't seem like a strength workout. Kath mentioned in another Thread about how the lines between cardio and strength are blurring. Powersculpt gets my heart rate up, and definitely works muscles, but I don't expect hypertrophy or strength gains to ensue. I like it a lot. I love Olympic Lifting. I haven't done much kettlebell workouts, but if this was a precursor, I seem to have missed out!
Old 09-19-10, 06:47 PM  
evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
Kath mentioned in another Thread about how the lines between cardio and strength are blurring.
That's true, isn't it? Maybe the human body isn't meant to separate cardio and strength building functions the way we think it is. After all, muscles work together, the heart is a huge muscle...etc.

You know, when I first started working out, I only did weight lifting and stretching, no cardio except walking at all for a year. Yet the weight lifting got my heart rate way up there, because I always challenged myself and always picked the heaviest weight possible. I gained a lot of muscle that year and by the end of it, was in the best shape I've ever been. I'm not in as good shape now, now that I'm doing less weight lifting and adding in way more cardio. I know this, but I can't seem to stop myself from running...

(by the way, Vee, I love that you figured out so easily who I am on Cathe's forum! You're one of my favourite posters, regardless of where I find you!)
evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 10:25 PM  
KathAL79

I posted my impressions toward the end of the other thread. I like this one. And I agree that it tends toward advanced as shown. Experienced intermediates using appropriate weights and perhaps also modifications can make this work, but this is definitely not for someone who doesn't feel very comfortable with strength training.

The Olympic Lifting is a full body strength workout, really, and you'll be doing explosive or power moves, which have a slightly different feel than the controlled lifts you're probably used to doing. I personally think it's good to have a little power in your arsenal, especially if you exercise for general fitness and/or sports purposes; I like to say that you don't always get a chance to lift things in 2- or 4-counts in the real world. You can do it with dumbbells, but it's designed to be done with a barbell (although a body bar could work). You're going to want to go a little heavier than you think you can, because if you go too light it's actually hard to get the explosive action you need to perform the moves properly. That said, your first time or two don't be afraid to choose a more moderate weight. Do be careful if you have limited upper body mobility or major joint issues in your upper body (wrist, elbow, shoulder).

I agree that Powersculpting isn't traditional weights. As far as I can tell it follows more the trend of the "metabolic" workout, a non-stop fast-paced circuit that combine weights with heart-pumping moves that are supposed to boost your metabolism and define your muscles. You won't build lots of strength or muscles with these types of programs. They seem to be all the rage with those emphasizing fat loss / weight loss; whether or not they work better than anything else is IMHO up for debate. This is what I expected Jillian Michaels' workouts to be like, honestly. I got my HR up more and burned more calories per minute easily with Powersculpting over No More Trouble Zones, for example.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 10:20 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
......(by the way, Vee, I love that you figured out so easily who I am on Cathe's forum! You're one of my favourite posters, regardless of where I find you!)
Awww. Thanks!

You personality comes through very distinctively in your posts. I had no doubt it was you and would have in all likelihood made the connection even without the "star".
Old 09-20-10, 10:41 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
I'm not in as good shape now, now that I'm doing less weight lifting and adding in way more cardio.
Me too. I just dropped Insanity because I've gotten way better results from doing more weights and less cardio.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, l.i.f.t