Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-10, 01:55 PM  
bearcatfan

Talk to me about KCM's step

I finally did the Athletic Step part of 30 Minutes Cardio Blast and really liked it. I love those 30 minute workouts - sometimes I trick myself into working out twice in the same day.

Anyway .... I have some other Kelly step workouts and I want to know if I will like them. I'm not sure about combining step and kickboxing (not a huge fan of kickboxing, but I do love Michael Olajide's boxing workouts). For her circuit workouts I'd probably do the cardio premix.

I mostly do Amy, Cathe and Christi for step. It's okay if Kelly isn't twirling around the step, but I do want to know if the routines and music are good and sweaty. Does interspersing the kickboxing detract in any way from the step?
Old 07-06-10, 02:43 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't have any of her other step workouts (though I hear the speed/pace and her cuing leave a bit to be desired)....but I just wanted to say that I, also, really enjoyed the step segment from Cardio Blast!! Choreography was challenging for me (I'm not a stepper, at all) but I still had a great time and worked up a crazy sweat!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 02:49 PM  
neatski

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me, so I'm pre-emptively playing devil's advocate here.

I've done both KCM's Step Boxing and Cardio Kick Step Box. Personally, I loved the kickboxing interspersed with step- I'm a huge fan of both styles, and I thought Kelly did a great job of combining the two. The routines flowed, and I had a lot of fun doing them.

HOWEVER, I found all of them too easy after Amy and Cathe. You're not going to have any trouble with the choreography if you're used to Amy (my goodness, can you actually do ASC II???), so that should be ok. But the intensity just isn't there for someone who's used to advanced-level workouts- and I even tried combining a few of them back-to-back. The music isn't standout, but I didn't find it bothersome.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 03:01 PM  
Boilergal

I love Cardio Step and Step Boxing (the one with the orange cover.) LOVE IT! I am not great at kickboxing but I can follow this. The music is good (IMHO!) and I'm sweaty when I'm done. The weight segment at the end is good and the abs are too.
Boilergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 03:26 PM  
mtnmom

Which workouts, specifically, do you have? I'm a little confused, you asked about her step (Ready, Step, Go!), then mentioned kickboxing step (Step-Boxing, Cardio Kick Step Boxing), then mentioned circuit (Cardio Sculpt Fitness).

I have them all (or had, as I sold Step-Boxing) and I don't want to ramble on about a workout you don't even have.
Old 07-06-10, 04:31 PM  
bearcatfan

Diane, I have Step Boxing 1 & 2 and Cardio/Sculpt Fitness.
Old 07-06-10, 06:48 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Diane, I have Step Boxing 1 & 2 and Cardio/Sculpt Fitness.
Okay, gotcha.

What I remember of Step Boxing (the first one, which now has an orange cover) is that the tempo was really fast. Kelly cues in a short, terse, manner and I wasn't enamored with it enough to keep it. The cardio was rather short (maybe 35 minutes, at most) and followed by some toning that was rather lunge-heavy. Perhaps if I tried it again now, I'd be less inclined to sell it as I'm now more used to the way Kelly cues.

She slowed things down a bit with Step Boxing 2, and the workout is longer. It's divided into vertical step (4 combos), horizontal step (3 combos), and 2 combos done just on the floor. I usually do the first 7 combos and skip to the cool down - for an hour workout. I believe there are premixes for just the vertical step or just the horizontal step combos that will fit into the 30-minute criteria. I picked up on the cueing rather quickly, although I've often read here and at other forums how people hated the cueing. She usually does the first half of the combo several times through and then adds on the rest of the combo. I feel she melds step and kickboxing very well. You can make the kickboxing portions as intense as you want them to be. For instance, she'll do an over-the-step into two hammer punch lunges (she calls them something else). How intense it will be is related to how deep into the lunging part you go. There was really only one combo where she included more step moves (V-step and pivot turn) that I thought was lower intensity. Nothing was very twisty-torquey, but it is more choreographed than Athletic Step.

I discovered the cardio-only premix on Cardio/Sculpt Fitness last summer and just loved it! You won't have any problem with the cueing. I think step portions 2 and 5 have some kick-boxing flavor and the other 3 are primarily all step. It alternates between a more choreographed portion and then a drill section. Lauren shows modifications. I can follow Kelly except for the squat-shuffle drill after combo 3 (I'll do them diagonally on the 8" step, Lauren does them on the floor). I didn't care for the weight work. She did some things at a weird angle (shoulder raises to the back, for instance). I end up modifying so much that it didn't much resemble the original workout. But the cardio premix alone has been worth the purchase.

If you can follow Amy's style and cueing, you'll have no problem with Kelly. She does shorter segments at any given time and they're less complex than Amy. The music has a good beat, on any of the ones you mentioned, but nothing memorable to me. Music has to be really good or really bad for me to even notice it.
Old 07-07-10, 03:09 AM  
bearcatfan

Thanks!

Maybe I will give them a whirl before they go on the trade list. But from past experience, if I have to talk myself into trying something I am predisposed to not like it.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer