Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-11, 10:54 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Zumba or Rockin' Body???

I've been debating about both of these sets for a LONG time now, and I still can't decide!

I'm currently looking at the Zumba set on QVC that I believe is the Transformation set, with the "concert" workout thrown in, and the audio CDs.........and the main Rockin' Body set on Mary's Beachbody site. (EDIT: The Zumba set is quite a bit more expensive, but I'm not worried about that, since I have some money earmarked for workouts)

(Also, I HAVE tried Zumba dances off Youtube and I enjoy those a lot. Taking a live class is not an option for me at this time)

Which one should I get? I see so many raves about both...

Both sets seem to me to be of similar intensity as far as I can tell, and both seem to be the type of thing where it totally depends on how much you put into it anyway.

Anyone have both of these and could offer some compare and contrast?
Anyone have/tried one or the other and would like to rave or rant? Any info is useful to me.

Also - are the Zumba toning sticks kind of like Fitstix in that they have some sand or something in them that moves inside and gives it a little boost? (I've also been considering Fitstix for a long time because some people have said they're good for preventing elbow pain, etc)

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:13 AM  
DejaDeb

I have both of these (Zumba and Rockin' Body) and although I love live Zumba classes, I'd have to say I enjoy the Rockin' Body DVD's more! For my money, they have a higher energy vibe and a greater variety of movements.

Also, I had the FitStix and didn't like them, but I do like the Zumba toning sticks. I think the FitStix were a bit longer and they were definitely noisier! The Zumba toning sticks fit my hands better and the "shaking" sound doesn't annoy the crap outta me!
Old 04-07-11, 11:41 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I Don't have any Zumba DVD but I love live classes. Zuimba is one thing I can't imagine doing with DVDs. My vote is Shaun T and live classes.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:52 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just tried Rockin' Body and wrote a review of the one DVD (includes Rock It Out, Rockin' Abs, and Booty Time). I liked it overall, but I was expecting all dance cardio--so, I was pretty surprised when Shaun & crew picked up weights for Rock It Out! It's sort of AWT and does have a strong cardio effect, but if you are looking for just dance, it might not be your thing.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 12:11 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just tried Rockin' Body and wrote a review of the one DVD (includes Rock It Out, Rockin' Abs, and Booty Time). I liked it overall, but I was expecting all dance cardio--so, I was pretty surprised when Shaun & crew picked up weights for Rock It Out! It's sort of AWT and does have a strong cardio effect, but if you are looking for just dance, it might not be your thing.
The other dvd in the set has four cardio workouts (15, 25, 35, 45 minutes). If you're just looking for the cardio, another option is to look for just that DVD second hand, as the two are often sold separately. I bought it that way on Amazon marketplace with no problem.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 12:23 PM  
horsemom2

I have everything mentioned above and use the Fitstix with Shaun T. the most from all of the above
The Zumba sticks do not flow as well and can be jarring to the joints so I wouldn't recommend them for problematic elbows.

Though I use the Fitstix with the Rockin Body cardio, I actually prefer the Rock It Out dvd with them and sometimes go to slightly heavier homemade XCO trainers which are just Pringles or Lays chip cans 2/3 filled with rock salt (or can fill just half way for a Fitstix substitute).

Barb S
who found the Rockin Body dvds much cheaper on Amazon than from Beachbody
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 12:24 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info and ideas so far! Keep 'em coming!

I knew that Rockin' Body had some toning stuff in it, and I'm cool with that. A) I happen to be kind of a fan of systems, and B) if it's AWT, that works for both for me anyway.

It's less specifically the dance I'm looking for and more that I want FUN workouts that are somewhat lean on complicated choreography and something that is a good workout but won't KILL me. I already have a lot of killer workouts that leave me drained and heavily worked when I'm done. Now I want some that leave me feeling energetic and happy.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beto, rock it out, rockin body, rockin' body, shaun t, zumba