Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-16, 04:37 PM  
zoegirl

So in true vidiot fashion, I have ordered Tracy Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt. And am starting today with Cathe's Icy Core add-ons from the ICE series. Thank you, everyone, for all the great advice. Now if I can just get past the dread factor.... I can do anything for 10-15 minutes, right?
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 01:34 PM  
Castella

An exercise given to me by a physical therapy works really well, but it isn't easy if you do it "the hard way."

It's a basic side plank, but against a flat wall. You have to keep everything flat against the wall: heels, glutes, shoulders (this is where it gets hard), head, and most importantly the upper arm and elbow of the supporting arm. Or your full arm, if you do an extended arm side plank (I bend my arm to save my elbow and shoulders a bit).

I started with my elbow about 4" from the wall, and now I can do it with my elbow up to the wall (although I think it slides out a little). Keeping everything pressed against the wall works all sorts of muscles that I never noticed doing a freeform side plank.

Supposedly your body can't cheat on this, but I have noticed it trying. For instance, I'll find all my weight shifting from my heels to my toes, trying to brace against the wall.

I thought that since I do kettlebell windmills pretty often, this wouldn't be tough, but it is.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 02:14 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
A strong core does SO much for our bodies! It's not just about aesthetics. When I started a regular Pilates practice my low back and hip/QL tightness vanished.
This is what I am finding out. I have lower back/hip issues and a fitness instructor told me to do more pilates. It's amazing how great I am feeling and the tightness is getting better. In fact, on Fitness on Demand channel (Exercizeskool) I just did Jules Benson's Core Fit Pilates. It was really good and I feel great. I even broke a little sweat.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 10:00 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Good morning, friends! While I have never had flat or firm abs, my midsection has continued to spread since menopause (or at least that is what I am blaming it on). There is so much information out there about diet vs exercise, and I have heard frequently that until the fat is gone (via diet) there is not much point in working your abs. What have your experiences been? I'm not looking for a six pack, just wanting to bring things in a little. Would I be wasting my time if I don't lose weight first? And why, oh why, is it so hard to lose 5 pounds at this point in my life???
It is important to work the abdominal and core because a strong core helps to prevent back problems and helps posture. In addition, all movements involve the core, whether it is lifting something, or sitting and standing. A strong core is important for the entire body to perform activities well and efficiently. People who sit a lot tend to get weak in the core, so it's especially important to do core exercises.

So, I recommend core exercises for everyone.

I do a variety of core work but the most fun are standing exercises. For those who dread getting on the floor, try Turbo Jam Ab Jam or Hip Hop Abs. Zumba has a fun abs workout, too.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 12:45 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I understand your feelings! I don't like ab work, yoga or pilates at all! However, as I get older, I'm adding more yoga and am no longer skipping the ab work. These are preventative measures. I sit all day long. I don't have back or knee problems and want to keep it that way.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote