Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-16, 12:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
OK, Cheri and Pam, any pilates DVDs you would recommend? I am looking at Tracy Mallett's DVD with the ball. Any others you recommend for someone who dreads and avoids core work? I have Cathe's ICE series with the ab add-ons and lots of Suzanne Bowen. I just usually skip over the ab portions.

Thank you, everyone! Keep the ideas coming! I love hearing your experiences!
My #1 favorite Pilates DVD is Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt.

EDIT - Lots on YouTube if you can stream.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 03:20 PM  
flowerpotcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
...I've been doing a shortened form of Slim in 6 (using selected portions of BIU and KIU), ... and have managed to keep the workouts to a reasonable 20 minutes. I will be posting more details about it soon, once my 6-8 week experiment is up.
I'll be waiting for your details on a shortened version of BIU and KIU. I really like Slim in 6 but the more advanced workouts are just too long. Please share your routine when you're ready. TIA!
flowerpotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 04:07 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My #1 favorite Pilates DVD is Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt.

EDIT - Lots on YouTube if you can stream.
I just ordered this one, you enabler you.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 04:08 PM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpotcat View Post
I'll be waiting for your details on a shortened version of BIU and KIU. I really like Slim in 6 but the more advanced workouts are just too long. Please share your routine when you're ready. TIA!
I absolutely will!

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 06:24 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
A strong core does SO much for our bodies! It's not just about aesthetics. When I started a regular Pilates practice my low back and hip/QL tightness vanished.
This is exactly what I think! A strong core is so much more than aesthetics. It helps with so many aches and pains elsewhere when you have a strong core. You don't even realize they might be related, but strengthen your core and you'll realize that they are. Most especially lower back, like Cheri said. If you have lower back issues, chances are you have a weak core and are using your lower back when doing certain moves instead of engaging your core.

I work my abs and my core all the different ways I possibly can. There are so many strength moves that involve core, that it's almost impossible not to work it if you have a strength routine. I also do an ab specific routine pretty often just because it's included the bootcamp I attend.
Old 09-21-16, 06:55 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
This is exactly what I think! A strong core is so much more than aesthetics. It helps with so many aches and pains elsewhere when you have a strong core. You don't even realize they might be related, but strengthen your core and you'll realize that they are. Most especially lower back, like Cheri said. If you have lower back issues, chances are you have a weak core and are using your lower back when doing certain moves instead of engaging your core.
Yes! A couple of years ago I hurt my back and had chronic lower back pain for a year. After one month of doing Chris Freytag's HIIT workouts which have lots of core work in them (planks, etc) my back pain was gone! I'm a believer.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 10:17 PM  
bfit

There are plenty of good reasons to work your abs and core besides getting a six pack. I've heard that six pack abs are sort of "unnatural" anyway and the most important thing is to have a strong and flexible core. Since I've done more core work I have less back pain, fewer injuries overall, and I'm just stronger when lifting things, doing yard work, riding my bike, and so on.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 02:19 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I just ordered this one, you enabler you.
Bwahaha! Hope you like it! It does use a Pilates ball, easy to find or sub a playground ball from the dollar store.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 08:32 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

It is essential to strengthen your core. I'm not just talking about doing crunches of course (which I rarely do), but like others have said it is probably one of the most important things you can do to ward off pain, muscle imbalance and disability. Check out this link- The real-world benefits of strengthening your core: http://www.health.harvard.edu/health...ning-your-core

More links:
https://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-...d-what-it-does
http://www.canyonranch.com/your-heal...-core-strength
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/art-20044751

Obviously I'm a big believer. I don't train my core for a 6 pack (I'll never get there with my diet ) but I do keep it relatively flat and strong despite the bit of fluff over the top. I literally cringe when I see people say they won't work the core at all for whatever reason .
Old 09-22-16, 03:41 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Bwahaha! Hope you like it! It does use a Pilates ball, easy to find or sub a playground ball from the dollar store.
You minx! No worries, I have both an SBF and a coreageous ball that will work.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote