Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-16, 07:45 AM  
donnamp

hi,

Laura - I love that series by Penny Vincenzi!! I re-read it every so often.

Right now I'm in the middle of a YA fantasy - The Queen of Tearling. And, another just came in Throne of Glass....

I did finish Ordinary Grace and enjoyed it very much!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 08:35 AM  
PhyllisG

Thank you Anna. I am starting with the first one. I love series and get kind of obsessive about reading the books in order. Just hope my library has all of them.

Penny Vincenzi I s great! Recommended her to lots of friends and so far everyone has liked her books.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 05:15 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

hehe. Shows how much I know about this author. No Angel is part of a series? I'll need to look it up.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 05:34 PM  
donnamp

Yes, the Spoils of Time trilogy - Laura. i think it is her best work

Donna
Old 09-26-16, 10:34 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Donna - Good. After reading about the series, I did some research and ordered the two other books from the series from paperbackswap.com. They're on their way.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-26-16, 04:03 PM  
donnamp

I'm tiring of my YA fantasy phase and ready to move on - so I picked up a few from the library today - I think all by authors I haven't read (although I have heard of Cathy Kelly, probably from Sherry!)

Anyone read these?

Ghosts of Bergen County by Dana Cann - picked this one up totally on a whim b/c my DH grew up in Bergen County!

Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly

The Edge of Lost by Kristina McMorris - something just drew me to this one.

I do need to finish up The Queen of Tearling - it isn't a bad read, I have just read a lot of this genre lately to the point where I feel like I'm reading the same book, so it is time for a change up.

Donna
Old 09-26-16, 04:11 PM  
leigh1673

I've recently finished The Nightingale. It was VERY good but also very dark/intense/sad too. I recommend it, but if you're like me, you'll probably want to read something lighter and fluffier afterwards.

Which is why I also recently finished Mindy Kaling's 2nd book - Why Not Me? - just a few days ago, too. If you are a fan of her first book, her in general, or her show (which I am, of all 3!) you'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The author of 'What She Knew" (Gilly Macmillan) has another book out called "The Perfect Girl." I will start it soon.
I just purchased What She Knew for my kindle. Sounds very good!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 05:47 PM  
sherry7899

Donna- I have read "Between Sisters." It was a decent read but not one of her best books.
She has a new book coming out in a few months.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 10:52 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

My impressions are the same to the others that mentioned they read We Were Liars...it was definitely creative and not what I expected, glad I read it but didn't particularly enjoy it

I don't know how many people follow Rick Riordian's series, but the second Magnus Chase book comes out next week! I'm not quite as into this Norse mythology series as I am for his new Apollo series, but I love all his books. Also, after YEARS of waiting, the final book in the Seeds of America series is coming out next week. Excited!!

Lately I have been revisiting Wonderland with two different retellings...Queen of Hearts and Splintered...finished QOH and about halfway through Splintered now and they are both good, but not incredible. The sequels are out for Splintered, I already ordered them (they are good enough to continue reading).

Recently I read What Was Mine by Helen Klein Ross, a very interesting book told in multiple perspectives about an abducted child.

I'm also reading the Princess Sultana biographies, I have quickly read through the original book and the book about her daughters (authored by Jean Sasson), there are two more books about her which I have on order from the library. They discuss the severely restricted life of women in Saudi Arabia. Very engrossing reads.
Old 09-30-16, 04:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I pretty much inhaled Journey to Munich, the most recent Maisie Dobbs book. The last book or two had gotten very dark and there were more glimmers of light in this one. This is one of two mystery authors (Jacqueline Winspear) who I have read every book in a very long series. The other is Michael Connelly (Bosch).

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading