Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-13-21, 08:10 PM  
BunnyHop

Today I found a local thrift store that will take canning jars, so I dropped off those and a few other things.

Dropped an old kitchen drawer (from the oven remodel) off at ReHome.

Keep finding more books to donate to the library. Such a relief that one of them will take them. My tastes have changed, and it's just time to let some things go.
Old 04-14-21, 02:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

dropped off the 2 boxes of donations at Savers. i have started another donation box - it wouldn't fit in my car, so i'll be making another drop off today.

i walked around in the store and saw very few fitness items that would interest me, but i saw the Core Secrets kit and 2 Zumba kits.

i confess i bought 2 items - a beautiful Victoria (as in Canada) puzzle designed by Eric Dowdle for $1.40. it has meaning to me because DH and I visited Victoria before kids.
https://www.amazon.com/Dowdle-Jigsaw.../dp/B00BU0YQPY

second item was a brand new Singer cordless scissors. with 25% off, got it for <$5.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 08:50 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Bzar, I never knew there was such a thing as cordless scissors, but I am not a sewer. It sounds like a great deal though- as long as you use them

I have 5-6 bags of clothing and a few boxes of household items and books and still want to go through more things before the United War Veterans pickup on Wednesday.

I have a question for you all. Do the United War Veterans have thrift shops or do they sell their clothing by the pound for international distribution? A lot of schools around here have used clothing collections where the vendors pay by the pound. This gets sold abroad. (I once saw a 2 year old girl in a small village in Peru wearing a Big Sky Montana sweatshirt!) I ask because I have a few evening/formal type dresses one of which still has the tag on it. I don't want these to eventually get trashed if they are sent to a place no one can use them.
I checked the local charity consignment shop to try to donate them but it is closed due to COVID.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 04:13 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Leslie - the electric scissors was probably a needless purchase , but i tried it out, and it works well! i plan to use it for long cuts on big pieces of fabric. as i get older, my hands get sore from using traditional scissors.

leslie - great job on the 5-6 bags of clothing! i went through my clothing drawers (because i was looking for one of my checkbooks) and found several pieces of clothing to either throw away or donate.

formal dresses - there might be a "Bella Project" in your city - they accept formal wear for prom and formals. one of the Goodwill stores (all of them in our city are open) has an annual runway show. although these gatherings have stopped during the pandemic, they might be collecting the items for a future show.

you can also call a bridal shop and ask if they know anyone accepting formal wear donations. if all else fails, a local drama theatre might be interested in them.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 11:16 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

bits of progress - scanning some paper files, threw away a couple of things in my tack room, a couple of pieces of clothing into the donate bag.

bzar - thanks for the reminder on prom dresses, I have one of dd that needs to go somewhere!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 12:58 PM  
DCW

There are some charities that specialize in formal gowns for proms. Maybe one in your area?

Our local news did an episode on it and the joy of the teens having a dress brought tears to my eyes.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 03:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
There are some charities that specialize in formal gowns for proms. Maybe one in your area?

Our local news did an episode on it and the joy of the teens having a dress brought tears to my eyes.
I missed them for this year.... they were in march and last weekend... but I wouldn't have had time to drive 1.5 hours to drop it off. sigh.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 04:09 PM  
Vantreesta

I did smthg they say you shouldn't do and that is to acquire things to put stuff in! I've been helping my friends move and got a couple things they didn't want. One is a headboard that they were using just as a shelf on the floor that I'm hoping will help with my gym organization. My dad was going to build me shelves I had drawn out but with lumber costs he said it would probably be cheaper to buy premade. We were both bummed bc I think he was looking forward to the project. So I thought maybe the free headboard would do for now and if it doesn't work I think I can put it with the guest bed that has no headboard.

The other thing is a little cabinet thing with drawers. Honestly I don't know yet what I'll put in it, I just really liked it! But I have no doubt I will find enough to fill it.

Anyway, helping them has given me a little motivation to try to get rid of things. My friend isn't super sentimental and didn't seem to have nearly the hard time letting go of the things that I have! I would like to be a little more like that!

I feel like I just don't know where to even start. The spare room of dumping is very overwhelming to me, especially since a lot of it is stuff I know I want, I just haven't figured out where to fit everything.

ETA: I think I figured out what to put in the cabinet drawers: my workout index cards! Right now they're in little plastic baskets but it would be nice to have them in drawers and use the baskets elsewhere.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 10:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the ideas on formal wear. Tomorrow I am checking out a local consignment shop my husband told me about. Hopefully they are still open in these times. DD tried one of the cocktail dresses and says it doesn't look great on her. I have a long formal dress for her to try on as well. I called UWV and they do have thrift stores so I can give the cocktail dresses to them if the consignment shop doesn't work. Thanks for the Bella Project Idea. I also have DDs senior prom dress to get rid of and possibly the long formal dress if DD doesn't want it. I LOVE that one but it doesn't fit and I don't really have the need for it anyway.
I decided to donate a coat that I like but doesn't close because of weight gain.

I am going through my hall closet now and I came here to ask a question to no one in particular. Why do I have SO MANY TABLECLOTHS? I put two in a donate bag weeks ago. I just put aside two more to donate and I still have 11 that are left. I am thinking of getting rid of at least one of them but it is such a pretty color blue. I have tossed or recycled a lot of cardboard boxes and paper in there and am donating 5 photo frames 2 of which are brand new that I was keeping for gifts. Also tossing a beach bag.

I also have SO MANY CANDLES. Giving some to a friend but still....
Vantressa, I know the overwhelm feeling. I was explaining this to DH and DD but they do not understand. DH said he would go through his hobby stuff downstairs.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 11:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Leslie, that is a lot of tablecloths! The only ones I have are for Halloween so they get used every year. I have a tub full of candles too. I'm trying to remember to burn them now that I'm home all the time. The overwhelm is very real!

I should already be in bed and of course NOW is when I want to start working on stuff. Rolling my eyes at myself. I'm tired but motivated. I think my internal clock is broken.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter