Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-16, 10:05 AM  
donnamp

OT - is anyone sick of "back to school" promos?

Ugh - this is like Christmas in September! I'm so sick of seeing back to school items and sales - it is only July for goodness sake, and I swear the back to school mania started right after the 4th of July!

Is anyone else wishing they could hold off until at least August for back to school, preferably mid-to-late?

Of course, if you don't buy what you need now, you will never find it again.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:10 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Is anyone else wishing they could hold off until at least August for back to school, preferably mid-to-late?

Donna
Around here school starts back the first week of August. Teachers report August 1st and kids start the 5th. It would be kind of hard for them to hold off until mid to late August to buy supplies and clothes!
Old 07-23-16, 10:10 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I long for the day when school started in September! This year, in the district I work for, we go back August 10th!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:12 AM  
sherry7899

My dh said he saw Christmas and Halloween items in one store this week.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:22 AM  
donnamp

Oh gosh, I thought we started back early here - August 22nd in some places and August 29th in others.

I wish we could go back to the day after Labor Day.

I also wish we had year-round school, I know that won't make me very popular - but I feel the summer break is so long and the kids forget so much stuff. Also, parents have to find things for their kids to do and so many families have both parents working these days it gets expensive with the summer camps. We don't do vacations any more b/c I spend a small fortune for my DD's summer camp. She is still too young to work for the summer and while she is old enough to stay home by herself that just doesn't seem like a good option for the entire summer either. Next year I think she is old enough to attend camp as a helper and get a discounted rate since she will be "working" part of the time.

I would love it if we went to 4 school quarters with a 2-3 week break in between quarters.

Sherry - eek! I wonder when the Pumpkin Spice coffee is going to begin to appear?

I always feel things are so rushed, we can't just enjoy the moment b/c something is always making us look toward the future.

Donna
Old 07-23-16, 10:26 AM  
Judy W.

Back to school ads in July are a pet peeve of mine! And schools here don't start until September, so there's no excuse for local media to display them.

Let me just savor summer! It's only a few short precious weeks. January's coming all too soon! But I don't want to dwell on all that now. I'll think about it tomorrow!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:28 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Back to school ads in July are a pet peeve of mine! And schools here don't start until September, so there's no excuse for local media to display them.

Let me just savor summer! It's only a few short precious weeks. January's coming all too soon! But I don't want to dwell on all that now. I'll think about it tomorrow!
Well said! In areas where school starts earlier, fine, but why not tailor it to the individual communities - at least in the local stores- I understand that w/ TV advertising they may not be able to do it so easily.

I want to savor the weather and easy feel of summer.....I don't want to give it up sooner than I need to.

Donna
Old 07-23-16, 10:30 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
My dh said he saw Christmas and Halloween items in one store this week.
I saw Halloween items in one store right after 4th of July. I think it was Hobby Lobby.
Old 07-23-16, 10:48 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I saw Halloween items in one store right after 4th of July. I think it was Hobby Lobby.
This! I saw them (Halloween items) in JoAnn's Fabric the other day. Retailers just live from one holiday to the next holiday or special event.

We start school here in mid-August as well.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-16, 10:51 AM  
PhyllisG

Saw holiday stuff on QVC. I feel like you can't enjoy the moment....summer vacation. Saw an ad about your child slacking off over the summer. Please isn't that what you are supposed to do!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote