Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-21, 07:30 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I use DuckDuckGo for searching also and they say they are not passing information about us to on to any other source. But as it is a free app, I have wondered how they are making money.
I have read their Twitter page, and they say they make money, and that all search engines can make money without data mining. But I can’t remember how they do make money.

Okay, I used their app to search lol.

Quote:
The first of the two big ways in which DuckDuckGo manages to make money is related to good old advertising. But this is not your typical advertising, as unlike most other search engines (and just websites in general), DDG doesn’t use tracking. It doesn’t even need cookies, which are considered necessary by some of its competitors.

Instead, what it does is follow the data that’s being typed instead of following your behavior, past search history, click behavior, etc. It just checks what you’re looking for, and then it shows up ads regarding the search query (assuming it can come with any relevant ads, that is).
Quote:
DuckDuckGo uses affiliate marketing to gain additional revenue. Its ads are linked to e-commerce corporations such as eBay and Amazon. This means that, whenever you make a purchase on those sites, if DDG brought you there, it takes a commission. This is possible thanks to eBay and Amazon having their own affiliate networks.
Old 04-17-21, 08:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks Sherry for that information. I still don't understand how an app like Insight timer can collect information about you.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 09:48 PM  
Pam

Sherry thanks X 2 for the info about DuckDuckGo.

Last week I saw an article-that I can’t find now -that there is a setting on phones that stops apps from collecting info about you. I checked and I already had it set to not allow info to be collected about me. Sorry, but I don’t remember what the setting was. The article said not all apps will follow your wishes. Anyone know what the setting is?
Old 04-18-21, 07:50 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If something is free then YOU are the product.
This !! ^
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 07:54 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
How were some of the other meditation apps? I have been planning to get some meditation app but I do very, very few "extra" apps and hadn't gotten around to doing so. I really dislike being the product and don't use Apple products so can't check there myself.
I have the Calm app as well as Chopra Meditation. I really like the Chopra "app"; I don't know how much data mining it does though. I do know though that it is amazingly difficult to cancel. When I first signed up for it, the "app" is not on the App Store. I had to use an account with Chopra's website. Then sign up for the "app" thru a different Chopra website. ... I kept getting my log in info confused .... The purchase defaulted to automatic renewal (of course ...). It took the dang-longest time to find a customer service / contact / email address with all those different website and log ins. What's weird is that I like the programs, but since they make it so difficult to cancel, I refuse to re-subscribe just on the principle of it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 10:48 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll probably check out Calm at some point. I had already decided that the Headspace guy came off as a bit too entrepreneurial for my tastes, though no one has mentioned that site lately. And thanks for the Chopra warning, FirmDancer.

To be clear, I don't have music or podcast apps. I have very little on my phone and take off as much of the preloaded stuff as possible. I have an android phone. And use Duck Duck Go. I don't even have many apps on my computer and those I have are mostly functional. Or weather.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 02:48 PM  
Vantreesta

I use Insight Timer multiple times a day. I'm disturbed by this info.

I only use free apps. I tried Calm and went through their very limited free content quickly so ended up deleting it. I like Headspace and enjoy the daily Wake Up, but they also don't have much free content. I listen to Radio Headspace podcast and love that. I also have the Ten Percent Happier app but again, limited free content.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 05:35 PM  
Leonana

I checked Calm on the Apple App. It has a list similar to the Insight Timer, although shorter. At first, I was alarmed. However, it also has a link to Calm's Privacy Policy. After reading the privacy policy, it seems that Calm collects information in order to run the account, i.e. transactional information when you purchase it, when you register, fill out a survey - basically information in order for you to use the app. It doesn't sound like they are giving out our info to other companies.

When checking Insight Timer's privacy policy, it states that your data is not shared with unaffiliated third parties to market other products and services, and your data is not linked with third-party data for advertising purposes, etc.

It seems your personal information is collected in order for you to use the app. So, I would suggest reading the app's privacy policy, to see what exactly they do with the information.
Old 04-18-21, 06:25 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Glo is a subscription site and app. It costs $18.00 per month but you get scads of wonderful meditations along with yoga and fitness. Just putting it out there.

Really stinks about Insight.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-21, 07:04 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I checked Calm on the Apple App. It has a list similar to the Insight Timer, although shorter. At first, I was alarmed. However, it also has a link to Calm's Privacy Policy. After reading the privacy policy, it seems that Calm collects information in order to run the account, i.e. transactional information when you purchase it, when you register, fill out a survey - basically information in order for you to use the app. It doesn't sound like they are giving out our info to other companies.

When checking Insight Timer's privacy policy, it states that your data is not shared with unaffiliated third parties to market other products and services, and your data is not linked with third-party data for advertising purposes, etc.

It seems your personal information is collected in order for you to use the app. So, I would suggest reading the app's privacy policy, to see what exactly they do with the information.
Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big brother, calm app, data mining, insight timer, meditation app, privacy