Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-16, 12:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

sorry - duplicate!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 12:33 PM  
donnamp

Nuggie's Auntie - You summed up this area perfectly "one of Dante's circles of hell"! I have lived here for 18 years now -and there are still some things I can't fathom - like why can't they deal w/ the snow?? This story makes me chuckle, although I feel for the people trapped on the roads - but it is a fairly typical occurrence. I'm lucky I can work from home b/c I have given up going out in any kind of weather here for fear of this happening to me!

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...366053721.html

Donna

p.s. The only good thing about winter in this region is it is a shorter season than up north - but I don't love the climate here - as you said the summers are oppressively humid and our springs are really wet. Fall is by far the best season here, but it is also a short season depending on how long summer lingers and how quickly winter comes. I do prefer the humid heat of the summer to the cold of winter, though.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 12:40 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Nuggie's Auntie summed up two reasons we left DC--the blisteringly hot and humid summers and the complete ineptitude of the public works dept. at removing snow in the winter. People in the DC area seem to labor under the delusion that because DC is south of the Mason-Dixon line, it should never snow there. Actually DC usually gets some snow every winter. Sometimes a LOT. There were several major blizzards during my DC years, some of which necessitated shutting down the federal government for days at a time.

I also wanted to echo what other people said about dressing for winter. I mentioned boots, gloves and outerwear, but long underwear, scarves, and good head coverings are also key. You can't enjoy the winter outdoors if you aren't dressed properly for it.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 03:23 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I barely leave the house in the winter. I hate the cold. I live in MN. We try get out of here several times each winter.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 04:56 PM  
upperwside

Canada talking here. I love ever season for what it brings. Winter.. it's brutal.. but try to find the joy to. Invest in a very warm artic coat. Good warm, high quality boots.. gloves hat and scarf are essential. Try gloves hat and scarf in a fun bright colour or pattern. This winter I bought a down hat and gloves. Minus 25 I was sweating .. I have a very good long down coat. I love walking my kiddos to school.. feels good to get out in the morning. The cool fresh air is invigorating. Try to go for a walk when it's sunny and bright. Try snow shoes.. a lot of fun and a killer workout. Walk along the water.. walk around a new neighborhood. Up your vitamin D intake and fish oil. Light a fire and read a good book. Take a walk a drink a hot tea as you go. Embrace it as it's your reality.. find a way to enjoy it. Are you in NYC.. great city for winter.. an adventure around every corner. Stroll to a tea shoppe and people watch. Wish you luck!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 05:52 PM  
rheash92

Yes we r in the city. Lots of good suggestions! I do have warm clothing but that's the other part every time you go out you have to bundle up and wear all this heavy stuff it just weighs me down.
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 06:09 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Yes we r in the city. Lots of food suggestions! I do have warm clothing but that's the other part every time you go out you have to bundle up and wear all this heavy stuff it just weighs me down.
I can't help with the weight of boots, etc., but for your coat, try a down or down-alternative technical coat. I have a much older style of the Down With It Parka from Patagonia, and it's very lightweight even though puffy and super warm. (Here's a much cheaper one on sale at 6pm.com.) It's not awkward in a car or plane, either, since it squishes down to practically nothing if you sit on it, lean back on it, etc. Something like this definitely wouldn't weigh you down even when you need to bundle up.
Old 07-12-16, 07:03 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Yes we r in the city. Lots of good suggestions! I do have warm clothing but that's the other part every time you go out you have to bundle up and wear all this heavy stuff it just weighs me down.
Oh! ITA with this! I am always cold in the winter, and I get SO TIRED of having to wear so many layers. It actually doesn't bother me nearly as much when I'm outside, but it's such a drag to be wearing three shirts, a sweater, and a scarf in the house. I lose my mind with happiness when sandal season rolls around!

Last December and January, I made it a point to go running three or four mornings a week--even if it was in the teens and still twilighty. (And geez, let's not even talk about the layers required for THAT insanity!) We have a beautiful park to run/walk in all year round, and while I will NEVER be a winter person, I absolutely fell in love with those amazing, bracing, lonely winter morning runs. They were so beautiful!! And the fresh air and sunlight so early in the day (which is important for your vitamin D levels and to combat SAD) made such a difference for me. I kept a gorgeous photo I took one morning of the frozen-over creek as my phone wallpaper... until the daylilies started blooming a couple of weeks ago.

And I must recommend Judy Collins's gorgeous song about coming to grips with winter, "Fallow Way." Every time I hear it now, it makes me think of those peaceful runs.
Old 07-12-16, 07:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I grew up with cold prairie winters in Winnipeg and later in Calgary. I don't miss those frigid days, but they do come with lots of sunshine. I found the key is to dress for them and I used to run outside in as cold as -20 C or -4 F. I live on the west coast now and am quite happy with clouds and a little rain, especially when the flowers start poking though in late January.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 07:31 PM  
Eibhinn

I've spent every winter of my life in Canada. There is a two-fold solution to enjoying winter

1) Proper, comfortable, warm winter clothing. If you're being active outside, you definitely want to layer, and mind you have good wicking base layers so you don't get as cold when you sweat.

2) Find a winter-specific activity you love, hopefully something outdoors. Winter will come regardless of what you do, and it will be cold, so you need to find something that makes you happy that winter is happening. Ice skating, sledding, snow-shoeing, cross-country or downhill skiing, sledding, winter hiking, fat-tire biking, even winter photography. Winter sucks unless you find a reason to enjoy it. We barely notice the cold when doing high output activities - my partner and I don't think twice about cross country skiing in -20 to -25 C weather (which the internet tells me is -4 to -13 F).
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, winter blues, winter workouts