Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-03, 01:41 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Callanetics for the back?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the search function won't find "Callanetics," so I didn't come up with anything.

This is the only Callanetics book my library system doesn't have. Has anyone found it useful? Does it show modifications for the typical Callanetics moves, or is it a whole new set of exercises?
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 02:12 PM  
rad

Rivercat,
You should really post your question on the Callanetics Check-in. I'd bet that Kim or Amy or Amy knows the answer. They're in a little cocoon over there and I've noticed they don't often come out for too much. LOL
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 02:55 PM  
Diane in VA

Rivercat,

I got my book out to look, and I never noticed it before, but it does have a chapter showing modifications for the Callanetics exercises if you have back problems. It shows 3 stages for each type of exercise. The first stage is for people who are in severe discomfort and have to take it easy while strengthening and stretching. They then progress to the Stage 2 and Stage 3 versions of the exercise as they get stronger.

I have used the chapter on "Stretches for a Bad Back" many times. When my back starts to hurt, I get down on the floor and do the 12 stretches a couple times a day, and my back stops hurting.

This is a very informative book -- it starts off with "Emergency Relief for Spasms" ---Showing you some stretches/moves to do right away to relieve back spasm pain. I have used these, and they work! then there is a section on stretches for all parts of the body -- with discussion, pictures, variations and tips. Then there is the section with the Stretches for a Bad Back for those who are recuperating and have to take it easy. Also included is discussion and pictures about protecting your back in everyday activities, and exercises to avoid. There's lots more interesting reading about Callan Pinckney's own experiences with her back problems and how she overcame them.

I always wished that she had made a video of the exercises in this book. I know it is out of print -- maybe you can get one on Ebay if you are interested. I highly recommend this book for someone that has a bad or weak back.

Diane
Diane in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 03:07 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Diane, Thanks for all the info! Sounds like it's definitely worth picking up. I know there are a few copies on eBay right now.

Rad, I started to read the Check-in--aka War and Peace--this morning, but I was only about a third of the way through it when my boss told me to get back to work Maybe I'll save the html and read it over lunch!
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 03:12 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally posted by Rivercat
Rad, I started to read the Check-in--aka War and Peace--this morning, but I was only about a third of the way through it when my boss told me to get back to work Maybe I'll save the html and read it over lunch!
ROFLMAO. Gotta paste your post in the Check-in.
Old 12-11-03, 03:53 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Diane,

Can you tell me the name of the Callanetics book? My library has 3 different books written by Callan Pinckney.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-03, 05:05 PM  
Diane in VA

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa C
Diane,

Can you tell me the name of the Callanetics book? My library has 3 different books written by Callan Pinckney.

Thanks.
Hi Lisa,

Its "Callanetics for Your Back" by Callan Pinckney with Barbara Friedlander Meyer. Copyright 1988 (wow didn't realize it was so old)

Diane
Diane in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 08:16 PM  
funathome

Smile HI Rivercat!!!

I have had a "mommy's back" now for years...just the usually Mommy things, lifting, bending et all.....MY back would hurt so bad that it woke me up some in the night,,,,also I would just DREAD getting out of bed in the mornings...I would maon and hold my back and it would take me FOREVER TO GET OUT OF BED my back hurt so bad....

BUT ..since I began doing Callanetics in the end of Sept....I have had dramatic results....and , I know it is hard to believe, but I have had NO back trouble since the 5th time of DOING CALLANETICS!!!! If I do find that I have lifted my 3 yr old the wrong way,or something...I don't know what!!..I do Callanetics and get almost immediate relief!

I find that Callanetics, my ABS are so much stronger (than EVER with Firm or Cathe) and I believe THAT HAS HELPED DECREASE MY BACK TROUBLES...Callan does say in her book that weak abs do CAUSE BACK TROUBLE!! I don't have the "back book" but have the Original Callanetics book.

Come and Join our check in and get more info! I know Emmanuelle has has bad back trouble, but since doing Callanetics...just this month I think...has NO more back discomfort!!!

rad - I did pop out of our little cocoon!!!

Amy

"Why is it that alcohol can kill Brain Cells and NOT Fat Cells?!
funathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 09:14 PM  
rad

Re: HI Rivercat!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by funathome
rad - I did pop out of our little cocoon!!!
LOL. So I see.
Old 12-11-03, 10:26 PM  
Redeye

Quote:
Callan does say in her book that weak abs do CAUSE BACK TROUBLE!!
I've heard that from many sources, including a personal trainer I had for 2 years, and I believe it!

Callanetics strengthened my abs like nothing else! Now Firm/FitPrime ab work is fun because it's easy for me.