Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-18, 01:47 PM  
TinaT

Best Barre Instructors & Routines

I've gone back and forth with Suzanne Bowen for barre. She has been the main instructor I have given the most opportunity to change my body. Then I fall off the wagon and do something else. I still enjoy her and am ready to add her back into my workout regiment.

Who are your go-to instructors for barre? and why?

With my new Jumpsport with the bar, I'm going to try to do some of the barre routines on it. Should be interesting....

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 02:43 PM  
donnamp

I like Barre3 - they offer a lot of modifications and options so you can really customize the workout to how you are feeling each day.

They are doing a 30 day challenge right now that gives you free access to some 10 minute workouts - i think they are just parts of other workouts, but it is a good place to start to get an idea about their style.

https://barre3.com/barre3anywhere

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 03:01 PM  
momofcha

Barlates has a whole series (for free!) on YouTube.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 06:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ellen barrett and callan pinckney.

i own quite a few other instructors' DVDs too. but i go back to ellen and callan often.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 09:39 PM  
TinaT

Thanks for the input.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 05:17 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I love Barre 3 when I am doing barre. I like the great instruction and I always feel better after doing a workout. There are a few of Sadie's workouts on youtube.
I also like codyapp Jacquelyn Umof Barre workouts. Codyapp is now a subscription service now vs. buy just the plan.
Old 06-24-18, 05:11 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Tina, IIRC, you acquired all the Bar Method DVDs and then unloaded them. I like the Bar Method and Cardio Barre the best.
My knees, especially the right one, are osteo-arthritic.
I tried Barre3 and Sadie's other DVDs, but they hurt me, not all the time, but in surprising ways and I got tired of having to concentrate on modifying. My knee doctor has told me never to have my knees jut past my toes. So much for "power legs." I know that can be modified with flat feet and rear back, but no one ever does that in the DVDs. And don't get me started on "carousel horse." That made me yelp.

What - no votes for P57? I never got past the snootiness.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 05:27 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm with Cynthia. Barre3 is a knee disaster waiting to happen (for me). The Bar Method is my favorite, though I've moved away from Barre these days.

I do like Suzanne Bowen, as well as the earlier Pure Barre workouts.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 06:09 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’ve been confused about what the heck barre is. I’ve looked at various Youtube workouts, and it seems that every workout that doesn’t use weights calls itself a barre workout - like the leg lifts and donkey kicks we did years ago. I assumed that barre workouts used a barre, but I guess I’m wrong. What exactly qualifies as a barre workout?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 06:34 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t think of Barre3 as barre in the same way Suzanne is.

The workouts that tend to be closer to traditional Lotte Berk, though they also sometimes incorporate traditional floor calisthenics and Pilates abs are Pure Barre, Phsique 57, Bar Method, BarreAmped, Ballet Physique, Dailey Method. Ballet Body and Barlates, too, though Barlates workouts really have tons of different styles. I think she brands all her workouts as Barlates, even those not barre inspired.

I think of Barre3 as more of a low impact fusion workout, especially the later streaming workouts which seem to have less of the power leg and the other moves they started off with. The closest thing they remind me of is Ellen Barrett.

Are you interested in DVDs, streaming, or both?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calisthenics, suzanne bowen, tbm