Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-14, 08:33 AM  
naturallove

So I won a Hoopnotica DVD...

...but I don't have a hoop! I recently found out that my shoulder issues might be coming from a pinched nerve in my neck, so I'm trying to focus on lower body stuff. Can anyone recommend the most cost-effective way to get started?
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 09:08 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

PM me if you're in NoVA.
Old 01-10-14, 09:35 AM  
daimere

Do you have a Lowes or any sort of hardware store like that? You can make a hoop with irrigation tubing in either 3/4" 160- 100 PSI tubing (160 for a heavier hoop), cutters (I bought some but I guess you can use a saw), 3/4" gray connector/coupler thingy. You can use duct tape or electrical tape to decorate it. My local ACE would sell me tubing by the foot but you may have to get 50' depending on the area. Google for "how to make a hula hoop." Hooping.org is a great resource.

Cut the hoop to be the size for your body (between waist size to chest). Bigger is good! It will make it easier. I started above my chest. Heat the tubing with hair dryer or boiling water. I use a heat gun. Best thing ever! Stick the connector in it, heat the other end, jam it back together to form a circle. Voila! Hoop! You can have a hoop making party with friends with the extras. Or make extras for the family/friends?

If not, you can get hoops from local hoop makers, Etsy (great prices), hoopnotica, bodyhoops, superhooper, discount hoop supplies, etc. Etsy and local hoop makers will be the best best. If you get the "make your own hoop kit single" from discount hoop supplies, that could be cost efficient.

Most of these hoops will last so much longer than a store hoop and the foam hoops you can get at stores are too heavy, not shaped for your body and just silly. I bought two walmart kid hoops and made kid hoops. The kid hoops have lasted 2 years and the walmart hoops with hardly any use broke/bent/etc. It's worth it! I can't think of any hoopmakers in Virginia off top of my head.
daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 05:46 PM  
daimere

I just remembered one girl. I can give you the contact information of a hooper in Reston, VA if you are close.

The hoopnotica DVD covers waist hooping (2 ways), hip hooping, halo, and a few more moves but I can't remember.
Old 01-10-14, 07:07 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I have an AcuHoop, it is the foam, heavy and "silly" one (http://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Sport.../dp/B001GB8OI2), and I just it! I've had it for few years now, and I can't complain at all, the foam still look like new, and I love the little "waves" it has inside, I feel like it gives me a little massage. Whatever you end getting, I hope you'll enjoy it and congrats on winning the Dvd!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 03:19 AM  
daimere

I like heavier hoops within reason. There is talk that anything heavier than 3 lbs is dangerous for your internal health because as it spins it's heavier than 3 lbs. I have one large and heavy hoop. It gives my friends bruises. Even friends my size. Yes, some bruising will happen in the beginning until your rotations are smooth but not the excesive bruises that this big daddy can cause.

Also, as an intermediate hooper, I have found most hoops that are foam covered/etc are not easier. Then tend to be one size fits all which is not what is good in hooping. Also, the moves used in hoopnotica/bodyhoops/most hoopdance dvds aren't easy with a super heavy hoop or a foam covered hoop. I have used (people will bring me them to try) or bought almost every hoop on the market. I even have the walmart hoop with foam and the betty hoops foam hoop. The bad part about the walmart hoop is that it's too heavy for safety and you can't customize the size for your body. Most beginners start with a 160 PSI 3/4" 42" hoop. The walmart hoop is only 39". This is as an intermediate hooper that has been hooping for 2+ years. I think the foam also makes the hoop 1" instead of 3/4" which makes some moves more difficult. When I couldn't hoop at all, I bought the Betty Hoops kit and still couldn't hoop. I feel like most of the hoops with the grippy tape (grippy tape helps it stay up!) facilitate hooping the best.
Old 01-11-14, 03:57 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I didn't get bruises, but I was pretty sore the first week, after that I haven't get that sore anymore, even after not using it for a whole year. I've read alot of people get bad bruises though.

To be honest I don't have a hoop dvd, I just hoop while watching tv or listening music. Gin Miller has a hoop dvd where she uses a 3lbs. hoop and also use it as a prop, which would work great with my AcuHoop (It's a shame they don't sell it separately). If the dvd you got have you passing the hoop from the waist to the neck, and those kind of stuff, totally go with Daimere's recomendation, as the one I have if not for that. I used to be pretty good at it while I was a kid, I could bring the hoop from my feet to my knees, waist, chest, neck and take it out over the head and bring it back, etc. I still can do it with a light one (I got from the Dollar store), but it is not big enough so I have to go faster, from my experience for those kind of things I prefer a light but big hoop.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 10:50 AM  
daimere

I was reviewing my hoop dvds just now. Hoopnotica 1 has no workout section but there is a great warmup. It covers waist hooping (side to side and front/back), hip hooping, halos (upper body movement), passing (UBM), floating (UBM), and corkscrews/lifts (UBM). These moves are a lot harder with a very very heavy hoop. All those upper body movements will use your shoulder/rotator cuff. I actually was afraid I was hurting my rotator cuff for a minute cause I LOOOOVE corkscrews/lifts (but my job uses my rotator cuff though). DVD 1 will teach you basic hoopdance tricks. When I first bought this dvd, I was able to get 1/2 in the same dvd case. But when I went through my trainings, the ones I was given had 1 and 2 in separate cases. So I am assuming this is what it is like now. 2 is more advanced with a 20 minute workout. All hoopnotica dvds have a silly trouble shooting section where a girl is flailing. I think I watched the "how to section" on waist hooping for days.

If you want a hooping dvd that is more lower body/workout focused, I tried the HoopGirl workout today and it is all waist hooping with stepping motions of some type (and geesh that was hard for me at times). Although it's a bit hippy drippy.

BettyHoops has dvds. The original sold from Gaiam was the best. But the revamped version is mostly the same, outside though. It may be shorter than the first one. I think it is mostly lower body. Hoopcore is still virgin for me and I haven't used it yet. She also sells hoops. I have one of them. Maybe it was me, but it didn't work for me.

On etsy, I'd recommend HoopMamas. They have the best prices for your basic hoop. I've recommended them for years to friends across the country, especially when talking to plus size hoopers. They have a budget hoop for $20 and a ultragrip hoop for $26. Either way, grip tape is essential for helping you hoop! It sticks it to your body.

Tags
hooping, hoopnotica