Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-15, 08:44 AM  
bubbles76

What to do after STS?

I will be entering the last week of STS next week. Since September will be my super busy month (probably entering 12 hour days at work then) I will need a short (less than 45 minutes, warm up to cool down), fun workouts that won't sacrifice my strength gains and will help increase my cardio. I was thinking of the following sets:
  • TapOut XT
  • JNL Fusion
  • Chris Freytag 10 lb Slimdown / ACE HIIT Hybrid
  • Weider X Factor ST: I didn't make it all the way through this rotation
  • Jillian Michaels Body Shred
  • CLX
  • a fun Mindy Mylrea mish mash

Or something completely different? I was really looking forward to doing something with Gin Miller, Gilad, AND Mindy Mylrea, but alas, Gin's and Gilad's workouts are just too long. At least the ones I have. Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 08:51 AM  
Jags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I will be entering the last week of STS next week. Since September will be my super busy month (probably entering 12 hour days at work then) I will need a short (less than 45 minutes, warm up to cool down), fun workouts that won't sacrifice my strength gains and will help increase my cardio. I was thinking of the following sets:
  • TapOut XT
  • JNL Fusion
  • Chris Freytag 10 lb Slimdown / ACE HIIT Hybrid
  • Weider X Factor ST: I didn't make it all the way through this rotation
  • Jillian Michaels Body Shred
  • CLX
  • a fun Mindy Mylrea mish mash

Or something completely different? I was really looking forward to doing something with Gin Miller, Gilad, AND Mindy Mylrea, but alas, Gin's and Gilad's workouts are just too long. At least the ones I have. Thanks!
I'm finishing up STS next week, too.

To preserve your strength gains and also get in/get out within your time frame, I think a 3 week cycle of Chris Freytag, JNL, and CLX would do the trick. Unless, that is, you own Body Shred already then you could cycle through the 4 systems 3x for twelve weeks.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 09:07 AM  
Sharaz

JNL Fusion - There are two cycles. Each cycle changes every week and you repeat this pattern for 8 weeks. It is lifting with cardio blasts, so cardiovascular endurance is worked too. To maintain strength and muscle earned you can keep the reps in 8-10. Own warm-up and cool down must be added.

This rotation reduced my body fat pretty nice before summer without loosing muscle.

ETA - I don't have any of the other sets.
Old 08-08-15, 09:16 AM  
buffmama

My favorite of those is CLX. Doing it now, in the push phase, loving everything about it - including sub-ing for the straight cardio, although those are good too. Short workouts, cardio and strength, you shouldn't lose any strength, just go heavy.

JNL didn't change anything about me although I did think it was fun. Weider - you will lose definition since it's whole body, bodyweight workouts. Chris, I like, but think you might lose definition also but has everything and is short. CLX just seems like more fun to me.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 09:46 AM  
bubbles76

WOW everyone's opinion is different . I do like the idea of mixing up different systems. That actually didn't occur to me. I don't like the idea of adding my own warm up, as I work out in the morning and don't want to think. I had forgotten that JNL requires your own WU/CD.

Buffmama, it's funny you say that about Weider. I got great strength gains and definition from it. However, I was probably in a different place in my fitness when I tried it back then.

Forgot to mention, I think of myself as an intermediate exerciser, if that makes a difference on opinions.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 08-08-15, 10:03 AM  
Jags

With JNL, Bubbles, you could air rope and boxer skip while the dvd is loading up and you're gathering together water/supplies/weights etc. Then do the first round lighter and subsequent rounds go heavier/harder.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 10:12 AM  
PhyllisG

After STS I did CLX. This was not a good choice for me. I will say it Bulk. Not fitting into anything.....jeans, sweater, Tees. All tight in the arms and quads. That is what sent me to TA and barre. But that is me. It could be quite different for you.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 10:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
What to do after STS?
Rest.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 11:01 AM  
bubbles76

VintageVFer, I love you haha! I do intend to rest at least a week after I complete STS. PhyllisG, if something can make me bulk, I say bring it I want muscles. I don't build muscle easily. This is actually tipping me toward CLX. I could always substitute some cardio if Chalene gets on my nerves. Jags, I like your idea for JNL Fusion too. Makes me get out my jump rope.
Old 08-08-15, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
VintageVFer, I love you haha! I do intend to rest at least a week after I complete STS. if something can make me bulk, I say bring it I want muscles. I don't build muscle easily. This is actually tipping me toward CLX.
One time after a P90X rotation, DH did Cathe's Slow & Heavy. He added even more muscle doing that.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after sts, fun short workouts, short workouts