Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-15, 05:32 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Question about certification to teach fitness

I am not an instructor and am not looking to become one, but I'm curious about what it takes to become certified to teach certain classes. Gina Harney (Fitnessista.com) said she went to IDEA, attended two Schwinn cycling classes, and received certification. That's it? You attend two classes and are certified to teach them? One of her blog readers said she had also been certified but wasn't comfortable teaching yet because she hadn't even taken very many classes.

This confuses me. How is it that taking a couple of classes would qualify you to teach them? Or did I miss something?
Old 07-18-15, 06:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Years ago I went to a one-day seminar and became a certified aerobics instructor. It was a lot of lecture, a test and I think we had to demo some step moves. That was the National Dance-Exercise Instructor Training Association (NDEITA). I don't think they're around anymore.

None of the instructors at the gym I went to were certified at all. In fact, the first step class I taught was because the instructor didn't show up and they were going to cancel the class. I had an audiocassette in my car that I used to do my own classes at home - for myself - and I volunteered to teach. (After pretending to be an instructor at home, I think I did pretty well - they wanted to hire me.)
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 09:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Back in my college days, I went through a long instructor training program through one of the health clubs. I didn't have any national certification, but it was an intense period of really being mentored or a "trainee". I bet at least 6 months or more before I was able to teach a class on my own. We had to be CPR/First Aid certified (of course) and periodically would have training meetings/education or attend workshops elsewhere.

I taught classes for quite a few years...in fact I'm thinking about going back to group fitness. I would do the CS/Essentrics training...which is another long term instructor training program.

I've been doing CS for so long, though, I think I could fake my way through it like Joni.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 09:56 PM  
sunnyd

unregulated industry

Fitness is an unregulated industry, so there's no license or anything official that you NEED to get to practice as a trainer/instructor for fitness purposes.

However, where you intend to work makes a huge difference. Most reputable gyms will require a "primary" certificate, probably mostly due to liability reasons. A primary cert is the hard one to get. usually requires 2-4 months of study and a proctored exam, that may or may not include a practical component. The study materials and test tend to be somewhat expensive, at least $600. Sometimes includes an opportunity for a weekend workshop, or even a classroom learning situation. Many of these certs are accredited by the NCCA, and those are considered to be the most reputable ones. ACE, AFFA, NASM, NSCA, ACSM, etc. fitness related degrees also qualify as a primary certs.

But if you don't intend to work in a gym/studio that requires that, you may get away with just a "secondary" cert, which is the kind you can get at a weekend workshop, and is usually specific to a type of workout and usually has a brand name attached to it. The company/brand may not want you to teach it without a primary cert, but they usually aren't policing that. These companies are selling the workshop, and they want you to buy their workouts to learn/teach, or buy a monthly subscription to their online instructor site. This cycle class you refer to would fall into this category.

aside from that, anyone can teach any fitness class, without any cert at all. although it's prudent to cover your booty by learning CPR/AED and getting liability insurance. Of course that insurance is cheaper if you have various certs.

but yeah, things have changed a LOT, so people who have plenty of experience may not have these certs and yet still be able to offer a safe, fun, effective session/class. It does bug me tho how many instructors attend only a secondary weekend workshop and then believe they are fully qualified to teach. In my mind they're not. I think most people need a lot more education than that, but I guess depends on their background and all that.
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 10:10 AM  
wellnesswife

I just wanted to add my neighbor is a beach body coach & has been getting "certified" to teach BB program classes. Supposedly it's only a one day class & $500 to go & if u complete the class you are certified to teach Piyo etc. Each class is one program type, Insanity is another option
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 03:37 PM  
Dabbadooey

My local Y has two people teaching yoga who did an online certification that doesn't require any hands-on work.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 04:16 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

This is going back quite a few years but like JackieB I had to do a lengthy course and take First Aid. (Mine was Australian version)
At the end of the course I had to sit exams and present a class for my peers which was filmed then assessed. (I could choose from step, high low, low impact or a body weight toning for assessment) I then became certified. In addition I had to attend a few workshops annually for re-registration. If I wanted to teach anything new or that I wasn't familiar with, spin perhaps, I needed the above certification first to then attend spin work shops. If I wanted to work in gyms I needed the certification.
A couple of years ago a daughter of a friend became certified to teach Les Mills Body Pump, I don' t think she had any certifications but had to be recommended by a gym. I may be wrong but my understanding was that she was a long time member who loved and just wanted to teach Body Pump.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 04:57 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I'm sure some people are naturals at teaching but if no one is checking them out, how could you be sure? And how would you know if they knew how to handle modifications or injuries or how to (hopefully) prevent injuries?

What struck me about Gina's post was the gal who said she had the Schwinn cert but had taken so few classes she didn't feel good about teaching it. Yet she could if she wanted to.

I don't want to step on any toes by suggesting that only rigorous training and testing would qualify you to teach, but I would imagine that in most cases it would be a good idea.
Old 07-19-15, 07:07 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I'm sure some people are naturals at teaching but if no one is checking them out, how could you be sure? And how would you know if they knew how to handle modifications or injuries or how to (hopefully) prevent injuries?
I have taken a lot of classes through the years and have found that the instructors with certifications weren't always the safest or the best at giving modifications. A few years back I took a kickboxing class that the instructor was MMA certified and offered no modifications whatsoever. Same experience with an RKS kettlebell instructor...who also offered nutrition classes on the side that were a bit on the wacky side.

Bottom line is that when you find an instructor who is knowledgeable and gives good form pointers and modifications...stick with them!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 11:13 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

The term certified or trained can be as simple as paying a fee to attend a one day training, or the opposite spectrum where we are required to have a GX cert, CPR/AED and film ourselves teaching for a final 'pass'.

I have noticed a shift towards unsafe and not teaching to all levels of GX classes due to the surge in one day training mills i.e.; Insanity, PiYo, Zumba.

For myself a prefer a more reputable format. I used to teach TKB until my brain and body realized there was no progression or science backed programming.

Eta: some states are moving to a regulated industry for fitness professionals.

Beth

Last edited by weighttrain; 07-19-15 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Add
weighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote