Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-17, 07:58 PM  
Messe

If you're interested in volunteering to test the waters, you might look into Louisville's Community Schools program:

https://www.jefferson.kyschools.us/a...munity-schools

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 08:48 PM  
jusca

I think volunteering has its place. But I also value everyone's time and skills and think if someone's possibly pursuing a paid professional position, then that person might want to get paid for their time even if they are starting in an entry level position to test the waters in that field. You may not have been a teacher by title in the past but you are definitely bringing some valuable skills to the table that you can be compensated for.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 08:30 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
I think volunteering has its place. But I also value everyone's time and skills and think if someone's possibly pursuing a paid professional position, then that person might want to get paid for their time even if they are starting in an entry level position to test the waters in that field. You may not have been a teacher by title in the past but you are definitely bringing some valuable skills to the table that you can be compensated for.
Hmm. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. My husband changed his career in 2002--got a degree in a different field (geography) and did volunteer work in it until he was able to get his foot in the door. He had a master's degree in a somewhat related field (geology) and a lot of knowledge and experience that really helped him in his geography program, but the experience wasn't 100% transferable, so he was fine with volunteering to build his experience working with geographical tools and databases.

I worked in libraries from 1978 to 2015. I got my MLS (masters in library science) in 1985. I was a professional catalog librarian for 30 years.

Over the course of my career I trained lots and lots of paraprofessional and professional catalogers. It takes enormous time and energy in part because the work is so intensely detail-oriented. The only way it makes sense to put that kind of effort into training someone is if they have the aptitude for the work. A lot of people don't. Just like a lot of people with excellent skills in other fields might not have the aptitude to be a teacher.

Definitely talk to teachers and get lots of opinions about the pros and cons of the work. I would agree with the other comments that getting experience of some kind as a substitute or a volunteer mentor would be the way to go. All these things could help the OP determine whether teaching is something to seriously pursue.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 09-21-17 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 07:15 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Thanks to everyone for the input. This gives me a lot to think about.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 07:17 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
If you're interested in volunteering to test the waters, you might look into Louisville's Community Schools program:

https://www.jefferson.kyschools.us/a...munity-schools
Thanks for this link. I had no idea this existed.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 03:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Sancho, I'm a fellow CPA and 2 of our kids are in college (one more in HS!). my DH is a HS public school teacher, so I have a pretty good idea of how it is done in our state.

I like reading these threads, btw!

wanted to summarize the points other people made, which I agree with:
1) the substitute route might be the way to go, especially since you have a degree

2) our state has a computerized pool, and qualified subs take a short class (offered through adult education) and test to get certified to be a sub

3) look into that link that someone provided regarding the schools in your district.

4) whether you volunteer or get paid, it doesn't matter too much if you're all set moneywise. however, getting paid might allow you to get into their pension system, assuming you stay there long enough to vest. I also think that going the paid route may be more "structured" in the sense that expectations are more organized. whereas if you're a volunteer, as some mentioned, the school might not know exactly how to optimize your help.

5) someone also posted about teaching at the community college. I did this for a few years before DS21 was born. I loved doing that - you can teach when you want. because I had both my master's and CPA cert, the CPA cert was equivalent in pay to having a PhD! so I was "2 steps" above in the pay matrix.

PM me if you like.

very excited for you by the way - I am exploring a 2nd career right now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote