Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-15, 01:44 PM  
suzannaerin

Never mind.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 02:44 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Okay, so maybe I'm weird. (Yeah... definitely! ) But I have never, ever understood why women don't want to be taller than their man. Or in the same vein, why men don't want their women taller.

I spent the last 38 years of my life with a man who was exactly my height when I married him. I always wore heals when I wanted to. He was proud of my height. I am proud of my height. It just baffles me that someone would worry about a height difference between a man and a woman (in either direction).

Okay... just wanted to get that off my chest, and at the same time get in a loving tribute to the best husband ever.
Old 05-09-15, 03:24 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Part of it also had to do with the fact that they were slides with no backs which forces the toes to "grip" to keep them on. BAD for the feet and your alignment. This is why Katy Bowman says flip flops are bad even though they are "minimal"
I love slides as they are so convenient but I am trying to look for sandals with the straps around the back for this reason. Also moving away from clogs that have no backs.
I agree on this, I have some flatter Orthaheel mules that I will wear but I feel that my toes have to work a little bit harder to keep them on, I have really narrow feet too so that doesn't help. I recently bought a pair of higher mule Born clogs and I just didn't feel very stable and secure in them. Having a back or at the very least a strap is a must for me. I only wore them a few times and I ended up selling them to a coworker for cheap so it all worked out but I should have returned them, oh well. Sandals with no back usually aren't a problem though, just other backless shoes.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 03:46 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Okay, so maybe I'm weird. (Yeah... definitely! ) But I have never, ever understood why women don't want to be taller than their man. Or in the same vein, why men don't want their women taller.
I must have missed the post that you're responding to. I've known a number of not so tall men who like a tall woman and aren't intimidated by her height.

I've dated men taller, shorter, the same height as me. Their height had nothing to do with the length of the heels I wore around them. My outfit dictated the shoes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 05:42 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
hi Sharon!
Hi back Pat!
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 06:43 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I must have missed the post that you're responding to. I've known a number of not so tall men who like a tall woman and aren't intimidated by her height.

I've dated men taller, shorter, the same height as me. Their height had nothing to do with the length of the heels I wore around them. My outfit dictated the shoes.
I didn't quote the post I was referring to and it has now been deleted. I certainly didn't intend any offense to the poster. I just wanted to offer my opinion.

I'm with you. If I want to wear heals, the only thing that dictates how high they are is the occasion!
Old 05-09-15, 09:11 PM  
Bebop

I love high heals and wear them often. I'm only 4'11" so I need all the help I can get.

I can't walk distances in them so for work I'll wear a kitten heal or if I'm wearing a taller heal, I'll have a pair of flats to walk in and then change.

I do practice yoga and my feet have become stronger. I go barefoot at home and do my errands in sneakers.

Ironically, I have a pair of ballet flats that are very uncomfortable.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 11:34 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I did years ago (like 70s and 80s) but never the high stilettos like a lot wear today. I have bunions, foot problems, back problems...if not caused by them then I am sure the problems were exacerbated by them. Problems may not show up for years (decades!) then it's too late.

The real high ones remind me of the ancient Chinese foot binding. if you don't know what it is - google it.

Besides I fall off my bare feet so what would I do if I wore heels?
Old 05-10-15, 12:18 AM  
videofit

I'm tall so rarely wear high heels and generally prefer 2" to 3" called a mid-heel. So hard to find these days with 4" and 5" heels seemingly the norm. Sole Society has mid-heels for less than $100 that get good reviews. I plan to buy Insolias shoe inserts which redistribute your weight slightly to the back on your foot instead of the ball.

I find summer easier to wear any type of shoe since sandals don't have to fit your foot perfectly. I am hard to fit and always need an assortment of heel and foot pads and inserts with shoes and boots.
Old 05-10-15, 12:28 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I love my high heels, too! Ballet flats, on the other hand, kill my feet. And my lower back.
Me, too! If I must have a flat sandal, for example, I will take it to my shoemaker to add a thick, nonskid half sole and new heels. Even adding 1/4" makes a difference in comfort because it is shock absorbing on cement pavement.

Because of my lower back, my physical therapist told me I am one of the few people who should wear high heels. Not sky high but it affects my posture in a good way. I just don't care for them except for special occasions because I fear falling off of them and spraining an ankle. Plus most are uncomfortable. The exception is Aerosoles. They have cute thicker heel retro peep toes that are very popular. I am trying to stay within my budget; otherwise I'd buy these and look like Ginger Rogers! Their wedges are cute and easy to wear all day.

Tags
birkenstocks, cute retro heels, cute retro shoes, earth shoes, flipflops, high heels, katy bowman, retro shoes