Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-15, 01:53 PM  
Messe

I love my high heels, too! Ballet flats, on the other hand, kill my feet. And my lower back.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:20 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I can't watch people walk in high heels. Like fingernails on a blackboard to me. I hate to see them on television almost as much as I do in real life.

Seriously freaks me out. I guess foot binding will never truly disappear.

ETA: I would second the rec for Katy Bowman's book. I spend my time at home barefoot and wear very minimalist shoes on the street. Lannette, I can't do EarthShoes -- they do evil things to my psoas (or is that psoi?) Feet are as individual as faces.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:48 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

hi Sharon!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 04:12 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I can't watch people walk in high heels. Like fingernails on a blackboard to me. I hate to see them on television almost as much as I do in real life.
This reminds me of a trip I took to Rome years ago. There were a group of very rich, fancy Asians tourists teetering around the cobblestone streets in stiletto heels. Oh dear... I was afraid one or more would fall and break something. Form follows function!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 06:27 PM  
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I have to wear a uniform, so I use Sketchers that look like shoes and feel like sneakers.

But whenever I see a customer wearing high heels, with every step she takes I think: ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch..

If they are very skinny they seem to float, if they are not and they have narrow heels then I'm expecting them to fall. (I might if it were me?!?)

I guess it depends on how wide the heels are... ?

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 10:55 AM  
Demeris

As a woman who wears heels, especially when I'm wearing a skirt, I love seeing other women who wear heels gracefully:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
I love high heels - anything under 4" doesn't work for me. I insist on high-quality, comfortable shoes (yes, stilettos can be comfortable) and I make sure to do exercises that strengthen my feet/ankles and stretch my calves.
I had to learn to stretch and strengthen the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin13 View Post
I love beautiful high heels of varying heights.
Me, too. I have far more than I need, but I can't part with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I love my high heels! Of course, I only wear them pretty much to church, so I can stand the 5inch, yes, I have a couple pair of 5 inch heels, for that 90 min when I'm mostly sitting lol. I rock them though. And I look amazing when I walk in and walk out!
I'm sure you do. I've noticed a woman at church who dresses beautifully and always has heels that complement her dress. She's probably in her late 30s/early 40s. Her wardrobe is stunning yet modest, and I think she looks amazing walking in or out of church, even in the communion line, her loveliness and grace are striking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
I love my heels. I'm already 5'9" so I don't do the INSANELY high stuff, but all of my heels are at least 3". I probably wear them 3-4 days/week.

Something's gotta kill you....
I'm 5'8", so heels make me taller than many men. I agree--something's gotta kill you.

I'm happy to be in your company, ladies (and all those of you who wear heels but I didn't quote).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 12:47 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Happily for you heel-wearers, it's unlikely that doing so will kill you! But I'm amazed that people can wear them for any length of time without terrible pain!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 01:00 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
This reminds me of a trip I took to Rome years ago. There were a group of very rich, fancy Asians tourists teetering around the cobblestone streets in stiletto heels. Oh dear... I was afraid one or more would fall and break something. Form follows function!
Almost 20 years ago we were in France and were taking a tour of one of the caves close to Spain to see the prehistoric paintings. A woman on the tour was wearing heels and ended up breaking her ankle on the way in. The tour guide and my husband had to drag her back to the entrance while the rest of us waited for them to return. I remember my son playing with his toy dinosaurs using his headlamp while we were waiting for the tour to continue.
What was that woman thinking?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 01:05 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

A remark about wedges since I noticed several comments about them. I too was trying for awhile to buy wedges to limit the amount of "pitch" of the foot.
What I found on the few I tried was that they were not flexible so they were hard to walk in as a result and I almost hurt myself several times wearing one particular pair. These shoes were SO cute-I loved them but I didn't think it was worth the risk of being out of commission due to an injury so I reluctantly got rid of them. Part of it also had to do with the fact that they were slides with no backs which forces the toes to "grip" to keep them on. BAD for the feet and your alignment. This is why Katy Bowman says flip flops are bad even though they are "minimal"
I love slides as they are so convenient but I am trying to look for sandals with the straps around the back for this reason. Also moving away from clogs that have no backs.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 01:13 PM  
Lannette

Our bodies on heels!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birkenstocks, cute retro heels, cute retro shoes, earth shoes, flipflops, high heels, katy bowman, retro shoes