Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-15, 04:25 PM  
Sara1000

Who here wears high heels?

I may be alone in this but I hate to see women do this to themselves.

I was just reading this article:

http://time.com/3847330/you-asked-do...amage-my-feet/
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 04:32 PM  
Sollamyn

I used to wear high heels back in the 80s and maybe early 90s. But the heels I wore back then seem so tame by comparison to the heels women are wearing nowadays. I don't get it. I think those uber-high stilettos and platforms make women look weird then they walk--if they can walk at all! My highest heels were probably around 3.5 inches and those were for dress up special occasions. My work heels were more like 2-2.5, if that high.

I now have a bunion on one foot, a bad lower back, and a knee problem, so I don't wear heels any more at all. I do have a pair of sandals that are about 2 inches high that I rarely wear.

Donna
Old 05-07-15, 04:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I haven't worn heels in months since reading Katy Bowman's blog and her books. Even though I am short and I love the way they make my legs look in skirts in the summer I am going to wear them sparingly this coming summer. I see my bunions are improving after a few months of wearing mostly flats.

BTW Katy says that any heel is bad for your alignment they do not have to be high. Her foot pain book is very good.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 04:55 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I wear heels for special occasions, 3" to 3.5" heel height at most for boots, pumps and sandals. My everyday footwear is a rotating series of low-heeled (1") boots September through May, and sports sandals like Teyvas or Keds canvas slip-ons for the summer. I have to be careful in flats as well because my PF flares up if my shoes are too flat; flip flops and ballet flats are out.

I've never been able to walk gracefully in heels and made a real spectacle of myself the one time I tried on 4" heels at Macys (the salesgirl claimed the platform sole made the heels feel shorter than 4"; she lied.)
Old 05-07-15, 05:08 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I wear high heels. Maybe I am lucky, but I don't have any problems from wearing them. I would not walk long distances in high heels, so when I have to walk a lot, I bring a different pair of shoes or sneakers with me, and put the heels on at my destination. I don't wear much higher than 3 1/2 inches unless there is a platform in the front. Platform shoes, especially wedges, can be very comfortable.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:01 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I have never worn a pair of high heels. I'd probably break my ankles if I did!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:04 PM  
Eibhinn

I've never been able to safely wear heels because I have ligament laxity that causes chronic lateral instability in my ankles (ie. my ankles are as wobbly in Birkenstocks as most people's are in stilettos). I've still made occasional very short-term attempts for special events, feeling social pressure for "dress up," but finally gave up completely and permanently a few years ago. Having read in fashion books about how women really must wear heels or end up looking stumpy and frumpy, I was quite pleased to find En Brogue, a blog about shoes written by an InStyle fashion editor who only wears flats. She also has a book about flat shoes.

For anyone interested:
http://enbrogue.com/
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:19 PM  
Candiceena

I wear high heels. For the record, I am 27 and work for a large national insurer. We have everything from secretaries to VPs in our building but our dress code is "dress for your day" so we can pretty much wear whatever we want on most days. I wear heels probably 3-5 days out of the month, sometimes maybe more if I get on a heel kick (no pun intended lol). My heels are always 3.5 inches tall and are the Merona brand from Target.

Maybe it's the brand and my foot are a perfect match but I don't usually experience a lot of pain unless I wear them all day at work and then end up wearing them out at night for a function. 12+ hours is just too long.

I sure am glad that ballet flats are so in-style right now, though. I would not want to have to wear heels on a daily basis. This article kind of makes me re-think my heel usage but then again, I think it's an every-woman-for-herself type of deal. We can decide the frequency of our heel wearing and if it's a worthwhile exchange.
Old 05-07-15, 06:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I avoid high heels like the plague.

Years ago, I was invited to a party at Windows On the World, atop the World Trade Center ( ). I wore a stunning pair of 3 inch black silk pumps that looked fabulous, but were so uncomfortable my feet went numb.

By the end of the evening, I'd had enough. I asked the cab driver to drop me off at the corner, threw the shoes in the trash and walked in my stocking feet to my apartment. I swore I would never be a slave to fashion ever again!

I'll wear low-heeled shoes for a special occasion, but apart from that, it's flats all the way.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:36 PM  
mandie123

I can't believe during the disco era,I would go dancing 3-4 nights a week in 3-4 inch heelsNow,although I love the way heels look,I have to wear flats all the time.

Tags
birkenstocks, cute retro heels, cute retro shoes, earth shoes, flipflops, high heels, katy bowman, retro shoes