Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-15, 06:52 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancho Girl View Post
As a facilitator for THEGROOVE (The World GROOVE Movement is the organisation, THEGROOVE is the dance - it's a bit confusing) - I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "you really have to bring more your own energy to this practice".

To me both SoulSweat and THEGROOVE are about finding joy in movement. SoulSweat does this in a more choreographed, instructor-focused way (primarily being a follow-the-leader class, with moments of breaking out), sticking with the more traditional being in lines class format. THEGROOVE doesn't do "choreography" but instead just pulls out two or three moves for a song (or in some cases, just one!), is participant-focused (i.e. the aim is that people aren't copying the facilitator after learning what the movement is) and works through the entire space in all directions while moving.

There are a couple of songs in Workout 1 on powhow that we also do in THEGROOVE, and for me it was a very different experience to dance them with choreography. Not good or bad, just different (in the Sia song, Elastic Heart, I enjoyed the SoulSweat version, but did have the resist the urge to just throw myself into the song in THEGROOVE way).

I noticed that Lucy says "do it wrong!" a lot. THEGROOVE version is "there's no right or wrong so you can't get it wrong".

Misty encourages us to go to classes that require learning choreography, because it uses your brain in a different way. But I know when I'm learning choreography, I'm not losing myself in the music and dance nearly as much.
No, from the clips, I had been under the impression that Soul Sweat was actually less choreographed; or at least had less of that "go deeper, go BIGGER" vibe than TheGroove had. You know when a freeform practice pushes you; when it doesn't; when you are free to engage/disengage without repercussions, and when it doesn't ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 07:10 PM  
sherry7899

The Soul Sweat Dvd is more choreographed than Misty's dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 08:00 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The Soul Sweat Dvd is more choreographed than Misty's dvds.
This.

And Misty's older DVDs are waaaaaay more choreographed than where she's at now. But THEGROOVE still isn't a freeform dance - we have structure, it's just simple structure.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-15, 09:57 AM  
TinierTina

Umm, to Clarify ... ?

Quote:
This.

And Misty's older DVDs are waaaaaay more choreographed than where she's at now. But THEGROOVE still isn't a freeform dance - we have structure, it's just simple structure.
I don't own any Misty DVDs ... I'd taken a 2 hour workshop in The Groove about 9 months ago ... I am basing my impressions entirely on that workshop ... interesting and much appreciated, that you give me the history of the DVDs ...

Like Bollywood and bhangra fitness, that workshop included a little (but Western!) acting/improvisational material (including contact improv-) ... not for the anti-exhibitionist/or borderline hypersensitive amongst us ...

I have orthopedic problems, and the facilitator/workshop leader allowed me to do the workshop while wearing shoes with custom-designed orthotics inside the shoes ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 05-14-15, 04:06 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
I don't own any Misty DVDs ... I'd taken a 2 hour workshop in The Groove about 9 months ago ... I am basing my impressions entirely on that workshop ... interesting and much appreciated, that you give me the history of the DVDs ...

Like Bollywood and bhangra fitness, that workshop included a little (but Western!) acting/improvisational material (including contact improv-) ... not for the anti-exhibitionist/or borderline hypersensitive amongst us ...

I have orthopedic problems, and the facilitator/workshop leader allowed me to do the workshop while wearing shoes with custom-designed orthotics inside the shoes ...
When I say "waaaaaay" more choreographed, they're still not all choreo. You can definitely see the progression of THEGROOVE as you progress through the DVDs though.

Not sure what to make of the sound of the workshop. Acting/improv while dancing? There are definitely a few songs I use that require a bit of "acting" ("strike a pose, take a martini glass, take a sip, turn your head, give me a great big ahhhhhhhh"), and I use those to loosen people up (really!) so that being that silly then allows them to be more relaxed when we go into a full on dance song. And I'm always surprised at how the really quiet/introverted types (and I say this as an introvert; I completely let go when I GROOVE though) break out when we do the silly, crazy songs.

I let people decide on their own footwear (if there's no right or wrong in GROOVING, then there's no right or wrong in footwear, as long as it feels good in your body). Most are in bare feet, but there are some with feet issues (PF and the like) who prefer shoes. As long as they're happy, I don't care!

---

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Old 05-15-15, 09:09 AM  
TinierTina

Straight Outta Brooklyn (NY)?

Quote:
When I say "waaaaaay" more choreographed, they're still not all choreo. You can definitely see the progression of THEGROOVE as you progress through the DVDs though.

Not sure what to make of the sound of the workshop. Acting/improv while dancing? There are definitely a few songs I use that require a bit of "acting" ("strike a pose, take a martini glass, take a sip, turn your head, give me a great big ahhhhhhhh"), and I use those to loosen people up (really!) so that being that silly then allows them to be more relaxed when we go into a full on dance song. And I'm always surprised at how the really quiet/introverted types (and I say this as an introvert; I completely let go when I GROOVE though) break out when we do the silly, crazy songs.

I let people decide on their own footwear (if there's no right or wrong in GROOVING, then there's no right or wrong in footwear, as long as it feels good in your body). Most are in bare feet, but there are some with feet issues (PF and the like) who prefer shoes. As long as they're happy, I don't care!
You know, I think I like the New Zealand style better, from what you describe. It seems the performing arts model (if not the medical model) of group fitness prevails around here. If I actually wanted a (live) acting workshop, I would not have thrown in dance fitness ...

I like the kaffee klatsch model of group fitness, better than any other ... it's not to be found on the East Coast of U.S. much ...

-Bettina

Old 05-16-15, 03:57 PM  
naturalyogini

New video was added today (5/16). I did ask her about having a video only membership.
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 03:56 AM  
stayfit

The last video is awesome. Love it.
stayfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 06:06 PM  
naturalyogini

I just finished doing the latest video. OMG it was soooo good! So much better than NIA and harder too. I do hate having to buy them one at a time for $5, but so worth it right now. I did ask her about adding world heat to the video library. We'll see.
naturalyogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 04:15 PM  
Gancho Girl

The videos now all have new names (and are now all $15, whereas before some were $5). Does anyone know which one is which?

---