Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-15, 01:26 PM  
baba

fitbit, walking, sloth, need help

So I thought I was getting decent movement in. Exercise more often than not, d**t in check, no weight to lose. Then I got a fitbit.... evidently I am related to the sloth. If I don't push myself I seem to only move about 3,000 steps a day!!! So embarrassed by this new found knowledge. But it does make sense. I can't walk to any place, I have two small kids who find going on walks to be a form of torture. I live in the desert and soon it will be too hot to even step outside unless it's 11 at night.

So my fellow vidiots, I need your help! I have never paid attention to the walking video threads (hanging head in shame). But I am thinking that is what I need. Or is there another genre I don't know about...

I don't need crazy cardio - I just need to move my body a lot more! So what are the best cardio, low-impact, walkish-type videos out there? Great music is a plus but not a necessity as I can always play my own music. Streaming is also nice... I know I could always put on music and dance (which I do on occasion) but I do like "walking" with someone else...I think you understand:
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 01:37 PM  
alisoncooks

LOL, I had the same sort of fitness revelation when I got a Fitbit a few years ago.

As far as videos go, I like Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Walk Plan.
Jessica Smith has a ton of free YouTube stuff, and I quite like her new 5 mile dvd (not that I ever do all 5 miles).

When I was trying to get in steps, I would just walk while I watch tv. Also, I find it easy to get in steps with Walk It Out (Wii).
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 02:00 PM  
marya

Would a treadmill be an option for you? I don't have one myself--I live in a good area for outdoor walking--but if that weren't the case, I'd probably buy a treadmill. I've read threads on this forum about virtual walk DVDs that sounded so intriguing!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 02:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you're a trooper.

until you decide on which walking DVDs to do, here are some easy/free ideas:

1) get any cardio video you already own and just walk to it. dance videos are really good for this purpose.

2) youtube has MANY walking videos, full length even, from Leslie, jessica, and i'm sure many others. Leslie and Jessica have pretty much cornered the market on walking videos on youtube.

3) before investing in a treadmill, and especially if space is a concern, a rebounder would be great! don't need a fancy schmancy one - i got mine from a garage sale for $4.

4) for air-conditioned walking, take to the mall and bring the kids along. stroller or no stroller works good.

5) if you must walk outside, protect yourself with sunscreen, a hat and an umbrella (portable shade).

6) vacuuming in the house uses lots of steps.

7) if you take the kids to the park, they can play while you walk circles around the jungle gym equipment.

good luck!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 02:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I get lots of steps on my JS rebounder. I watch Netflix while I jump, usually 20 - 30 min at a time.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 02:32 PM  
baba

Thanks for the ideas. I don't want a treadmill. I have become more leery of them after reading some of Katy Bowman's stuff about treadmills. Hmm... Maybe some dance videos...
Old 05-24-15, 05:55 PM  
Leonana

Hi, Baba! We're relaxed homeschoolers in the Phoenix area. Did the homebirth/extended bf'ing too. My daughter is 14 now.

Anyway, owning dogs has helped me, lol. I take them out at 6 a.m. in the summer months. At that time, it's around 82-84 degrees at the hottest part of the summer. I walk them five days a week, for about a mile and a quarter. Currently, it's around 64 degrees at 6:30 when I've been out. Walking outdoors might be doable for you if the little ones are asleep and your husband is still at home.
Old 05-24-15, 07:45 PM  
at120

As someone who also lives in the Valley of the Sun, your best bet is to walk really, really early like 530 or consider devices like ellipticals or even a slide (with a good music tracklist or a good audiobook to take away the monotony) if a treadmill is out of the question. When we first moved out there, ten years ago, I did 45 minutes of jumping rope for cardio every morning until we had everything unpacked. I too have small kids, but I'm a bit of a night owl, so I usually work out late at night -- often around 11 -- doing some sort of program or rotation.

I think the suggestions earlier in this thread are good ones. Try beginner walking programs like Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith, dance workouts like zumba, or if what you need is more flexibility and definition rather than weight loss, consider pilates or more yoga. Although you won't be generating lots of fitbit-able tracked steps doing a good yoga routine, you will be generating a great sweat and doing a great deal of positive things to your body for the long term.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 08:03 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I got a Fitbit about 4-5 years ago, but I can still relate to the shock of finding out that I too, may be related to a sloth. In fact, you and I, baba, are almost certainly related! Thanks for the laugh. I too, am trying to increase the number of steps I do every day, and Jessica Smith walking workouts on youtube are perfect for that!
Old 05-24-15, 09:56 PM  
baba

alrighty, i got my mini trampolines out (three of them. one for me, two for the kids). we've been jumping all afternoon - a good alternative for the phoenix summer. i can't take walks early or late because of schedules and kids. but i am feeling better between the trampolines and the jessica and leslie walking videos. now if i can only figure out which leslie ones are the best - she has so many!!!