Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-15, 04:45 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but thought of it last night when attending a friend's retirement party at a local bar/restaurant. I was surprised to note that I was the only woman wearing heels! I saw people of all ages (from high school students to the retiree's parents), and everyone had on flats. (I'm not a die-hard heel-wearer; I'd have been in flats, too, if it hadn't been too cold to wear a dress; my dressy jeans are too long to wear without heels). I just thought it was really interesting!

(That Cannes thing, btw, is absolutely ridiculous. )
Thanks for posting this! I am encouraged.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 05:03 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
I love the feel of shoes with minimalist soles, like some of these. http://www.softstarshoes.com/
I want to try a pair of these so badly but when I read that they could wear out in as little as three months I freaked. $120.00-$130.00 every three months isn't in my budgeting plans.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 05:04 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but thought of it last night when attending a friend's retirement party at a local bar/restaurant. I was surprised to note that I was the only woman wearing heels! I saw people of all ages (from high school students to the retiree's parents), and everyone had on flats. (I'm not a die-hard heel-wearer; I'd have been in flats, too, if it hadn't been too cold to wear a dress; my dressy jeans are too long to wear without heels). I just thought it was really interesting!

(That Cannes thing, btw, is absolutely ridiculous. )
Wow! That's my kind of party!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 05-25-15, 08:18 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I want to try a pair of these so badly but when I read that they could wear out in as little as three months I freaked. $120.00-$130.00 every three months isn't in my budgeting plans.
That hasn't been my experience. I think some people wear them while running or hiking, which I don't. I've had mine for almost 11 months and they show no signs of wearing down. And I walk everywhere, all the time everyday (I'm a bit of a walking fiend, except if I'm going to the other side of town when I get on my bike). In styles where there's a choice between different soles (I have a few pairs now, having gotten a second pair recently), I go for the thicker, hardier soles because even those are thin compared to regular shoes. There's a page on their website that gives more info on soles. My budget can't handle them wearing out too soon either.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 02:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I finally went and ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The ones I posted earlier did not get great reviews but they fit some people well so I thought I would give them a try. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Another Earth Shoe I ordered from Amazon does have a small heel:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then from 6PM these:
http://www.6pm.com/kalso-earth-pench...k-ridge-nubuck I wanted these in the orange but they did not have my size. That "rock ridge" color is probably going to get filthy but I guess I can treat them before wearing.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 03:11 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
That hasn't been my experience. I think some people wear them while running or hiking, which I don't. I've had mine for almost 11 months and they show no signs of wearing down. And I walk everywhere, all the time everyday (I'm a bit of a walking fiend, except if I'm going to the other side of town when I get on my bike). In styles where there's a choice between different soles (I have a few pairs now, having gotten a second pair recently), I go for the thicker, hardier soles because even those are thin compared to regular shoes. There's a page on their website that gives more info on soles. My budget can't handle them wearing out too soon either.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the info on the differences between soles.

Old 05-25-15, 07:12 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the info on the differences between soles.
I started with these Ramblers (which don't have a choice in soles, but they're still going strong and the soles are hardier than on the moccasins).
http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-s...ler-black.html -

Then tried these RunAmocs with my own colours, which have 3 sole choices. I chose 5 mm trail soles.
http://www.softstarshoes.com/design-...-original.html

My sister likes their Merry Janes, Metros, and Sport Ballerina flats.

ETA: Here's more info on soles.
http://www.softstarshoes.com/soles
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 01:03 AM  
videofit

According to podiatrists, flip flops are worse than heels.

"Ideally, everyone's shoes should have a heel of around an inch-and-a-half. The lack of heel lift means the sole is overstretched and the tendon that runs from the Achilles to the toe becomes inflamed."
Old 06-08-15, 01:47 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
According to podiatrists, flip flops are worse than heels.

"Ideally, everyone's shoes should have a heel of around an inch-and-a-half. The lack of heel lift means the sole is overstretched and the tendon that runs from the Achilles to the toe becomes inflamed."
Meh, I'm generally hesitant to buy any claim that "everyone" should do anything, beyond breathe air and drink water. Even a 1 1/2 inch heel causes me so much instability that I am at a very high risk of an ankle sprain. I wore loafers yesterday with a 3/4 inch heel and wasn't careful enough and sprained my ankle.

I do agree that flip flops are terrible for most people. So are Uggs and any other footwear with absolutely no shape or support that just flop around on your feet. But there is plenty of territory between thin piece of foam held onto the bottom of your foot by a plastic thong and a 1 1/2 inch heel. There are plenty of shoes with no heel that have a nicely shaped insole that support the feet fine. For many people, anyway. Possibly most people. Definitely for me.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 03:32 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
'Ideally, everyone's shoes should have a heel of around an inch-and-a-half. The lack of heel lift means the sole is overstretched and the tendon that runs from the Achilles to the toe becomes inflamed.
'If you have tight calves (common in high heel wearers or runners), this becomes even more likely. Pain usually starts with an ache, but can develop into a spasm or burning feeling. It can flare up after walking or running, and is typically worse on waking up.
OMG, I can't believe that the author even wrote the above passage. You have short calves, so you should wear a heel to reduce the stretch on the achilles tendon so that they get even tighter and shorter. Yeah that's right. That plan will no doubt mean you'll be seeing your podiatrist even more often. Cool business plan!

I'm not saying that someone with short calf muscles should jump from pumped up running shoes to flat shoes right away. I'm just saying it would be more prudent to regain that flexibility using a well thought out plan that won't strain the achilles tendon.

THIS study is really interesting, well if you're as nerdy as I am. It did take a little while to load on my lap top.

THIS Katy Says post take Tom Holland to task and also talks about the high heel dilemma and how sarcomeres adapt in response to the load we put upon them. I find it fascinating (I may be alone in this) that the whole sarcomere adaptation thing can also translate into the "lengthened" muscles that we hear about in Barre workouts.

I'm trying to find a reference to a quote I read, possibly in my certification studies. It talks about the fact that high heels tighten calves and how that actually translates into a decrease in metabolic rate.

Quote:
There are plenty of shoes with no heel that have a nicely shaped insole that support the feet fine.
Except the feet were designed to support themselves and our body. We've just mucked up the plan by putting them into stiff boxes which we insist upon walking around in.

Tags
birkenstocks, cute retro heels, cute retro shoes, earth shoes, flipflops, high heels, katy bowman, retro shoes