Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-15, 07:16 AM  
flamingoo

Kundalini Question

I've really been struggling with long deep breathing. Not exactly sure what's going on, but when I breath in, and my breath gets to my chest area, my breath is done. I can't breath in long at all. Is something blocked or does it just take some practice and dedication. Thank you!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 07:39 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
I've really been struggling with long deep breathing. Not exactly sure what's going on, but when I breath in, and my breath gets to my chest area, my breath is done. I can't breath in long at all. Is something blocked or does it just take some practice and dedication. Thank you!
It takes practice to build up the muscles in your chest cavity. Think about singers--it takes a lot of work for them to build up the kind of control they need for holding long notes, for power and for pianissimo. Same with LDB.

Try this--count your breaths on the inhale, hold for the same number of counts, and exhale for the same number of counts. It doesn't matter if you start at 1. Just keep practicing and extending the counts over time. Eventually you'll build up the muscle control for long inhales and exhales.

The breath exercise I just recommended can also be used as a meditation.

HTH.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 08:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Is your abdomen fully relaxed? Try letting your lower abdomen fully relax and expand when you inhale, and go back in on the exhale. Completely relax into it and let the inhales come slow, belly expanding and releasing like a wave. Sit, close your eyes, relax and just practice letting go into that wave. It will come.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 08:57 AM  
flamingoo

Thanks both of you! This does help. I may not be as relaxed as I think and the one minute breath( or less) helps a lot!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 01:10 PM  
marya

Also, abdominal breathing may be easier and feel more natural when you are fully reclined.

What Betsy said about singers is so true! I studied voice for a few years long, long ago, and as a result of all the long deep breathing, I actually developed ab muscles! I feel like I've been deep-breathing my whole life, but it probably actually dated from that time. Chest breathing is the challenge for me now, as I realized when I recently tried Pilates.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote