Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-13, 04:42 PM  
lila_says

I'm not sure that this will help, but this DB series (& Tonique Born To Move) were without question my best dvd purchases of 2013
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 04:55 PM  
edensmom

And another thing--they don't mirror cue. It doesn't bother me, but I know some people cannot stand this so I mention it in case it is a determining factor for you.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 05:03 PM  
deineira

I am also a long time Cathe fan, but this year I started branching out to other instructors. I was so psyched to get the Dream Body workouts and I even had DH preorder them for my birthday. I did them for about 3 weeks and then sent them back. I am one who found the frantic pace and the incessant chattering very offputting. The workouts were challenging and I liked them in theory, but the execution was lacking for me.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 05:30 PM  
chrisqan

Just wanted to add that I love Tonique (especially her new downloads and BTM) so it's not the high intensity that's the problem. The main downside for me was the frantic pace. Like Phyllis, I felt like I was always trying to catch the bus.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 05:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

The frantic pace does make them tough, but honestly the bad cuing makes them tough for me as well. I get stressed when I can't follow along, and it's hard to do with these. I don't really see a similarity with Cathe's workouts, as I think DB is harder than recent Cathe workouts. I can do Cathe but these have a huge dread factor for me---at least Darby's Fusion and the Tabata one do. Those 2 are definitely the hardest of the group IMHO. I'm not fond of the "breathless" voices either (love that term for it, Phyllis, it puts my thought into words). I paid less than $99 for the set, and I'm glad that I did as I haven't gotten the use out of them that I had hoped to get. That said, if you're looking for something different and are up for a challenge, DB might be just what you need.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 06:53 PM  
violingal3

It's hard to say. I hated it at first and traded it away. Then people kept raving about DB and the original went on sale so I gave DB another whirl. Loved it, so I reacquired the set. You need to give the workouts a few tries, make notes and go at your own pace. The workouts are much less frantic once you know what's coming. The barre workout in the set is for me! One of my all-time favorites.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 06:58 PM  
edensmom

Absolutely agree that the pace is much more manageable once you know the workout. Then you aren't playing catch-up (which eliminates that "running for the bus" feeling --what an apt way to put it). Also I always go at my own pace. When you are in plank position or during level changes, you won't be watching the tv anyway.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 06:24 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I know that a lot of people really love this set but for me it was my worst purchase of 2013 (and I got the set for $50). I was sure I would love it since I love fusion type workouts and for cardio I like doing a lot of HIIT. I have done each workout once and never want to do any of them again. Like others have said it's the frantic pace and non-stop talking that drive me up a wall.
Old 11-04-13, 06:55 AM  
eannem

i have a love/hate relationship with the first set. i reach for fusion fairly often (but less than i used to) bc of really like the inner thigh/ab section at the end. i modify and slow it down. i find i can use slightly heavier weights if i slow it down and modify the jumping moves.

of the 5 workouts, i really only use the 2 fusions and the barre workout.

i do think you need to do them a few times before forming an opinion. i can see why people would hate them.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 08:19 AM  
CleverandSmart

I was my worst purchase ever. And I love Cathe and like Tonique. But we are all different, so if in doubt, just give it a try.
CleverandSmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream body